Sabres starting to come apart at the seams?

Buftex

So, Pat Kaleta was upset about being benched, after his suspension was over and he let the media know...leave it to Ryan Miller to put him in his place. I don't dislike Kaleta (at least he has some fire in his belly), but Miller is spot on. If you can hear Millers' comments, rather than read them, you can tell he is getting pretty frustrated...might he ask for a trade?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ryan-miller-patrick-kaleta-healthy-scratch-gripes-needs-030929826--nhl.html

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Pat Kaleta was upset about being benched, after his suspension was over and he let the media know...leave it to Ryan Miller to put him in his place. I don't dislike Kaleta (at least he has some fire in his belly), but Miller is spot on. If you can hear Millers' comments, rather than read them, you can tell he is getting pretty frustrated...might he ask for a trade?

http://sports.yahoo....29826--nhl.html

At this point, I'd support the majority of the team being traded before the deadline. I'm not normally one of those "they suck, blow it up" types...but this team is playing completely flat and lifeless hockey, to the point that there's nothing to build on...so blow 'em up and start over.

At this point, I'd support the majority of the team being traded before the deadline. I'm not normally one of those "they suck, blow it up" types...but this team is playing completely flat and lifeless hockey, to the point that there's nothing to build on...so blow 'em up and start over.

Yeah...me too...and I will honeslty say, much as I like Ruff, I thought letting him go was the right move...and I fully expected the Sabres play to pick up a notch after he was gone. They have played, perhaps, two good games since then, and have been dreadful ohterwise.

I am no fan of Mike Milbury, but the one refreshing thing about the games on the NBC Spors broadcasts has been the candid nature of their criticism of the Sabres this season (IIRC they have now carried 3 Sabres games, all awful efforts...once before Lindy was fired, and two since). These guys need to hear more of it.

Last night, Milbury said, of Tyler Myers (paraphrasing) "People always go back to his 10 or 11 goals a season, or his rookie of the year..but that is 3 years ago...somebody needs to show this kid how to play hockey"

I have to say, I have felt the same way about Myers...I think he is pretty awful most nights. That's not to say he can't be better, but he isn't really improving....he has a good night here or there, but still coughs the puck up regularly, makes poor passes. and, IMO just doesn't seem to have good instincts in spacing and the more physcial part of the game.

The popular notion seems to be that everyone on the team is tradeable except Miller and Vanek, and maybe Pomminville. I like those three guys alright, but I would trade any of them, at this point (especially Miller or Pomminville) for somebody that has a future, and will be part of turing this disaster around. I never imagined the Sabres would be playing so poorly, this far into a season.

At this point (and I never think like this with my teams) I am really hoping they don't go on one of their trademark "nobility runs" late in the season to squeek into the playoffs, or just barely miss. Sure, it would be much more fun to watch them...but this team, these players, never seem to learn from the past. I don't want to say they are lazy, or lack intensity, but that is the way it feels a lot of the time. Or, they just play like they are afraid to make mistakes, so they do nothing...guys avoiding contact like crazy, not following through on checks...icing the puck for no reason...this team looks like it is just going through the motions, more often than not.

There are some guys who, I feel, give a good effort, but the results are just not there. I hate to say it, but it is that rare time when watching one of my teams is really seeming like more a chore than a pleasure...I never used to feel that way...and I have loads of experience rooting for less than stellar teams. If this is "hockey heaven..."

starting?

Was referring to sniping at one another in the media.

i like pominville as a player but it was a huge mistake making him captain. these teams have lacked just about everything you want since he was given the C. he certainly has done nothing to keep the team from going into their pathetic tailspin. stafford as an A i even worse. vanek as an A isnt bad but he should never be captain imo. idk who else they could possibly give it to but they really need to strip the first two and just let them be role players

2 things without reading or listening to that article.

1. Kaleta sucks. He's not a hockey player. He's a dumb idiot that can skate (very badly) and he's not good at anything other than passing people off. He's also a real life POS as I've had dealings with him at my old job Ingram Micro. Dude showed up completely blasted to a charity golf event. Was hitting in every woman there and being a blatant @$$hole just because he thinks he's a big deal. Would not care if he got I hired and could never play the game again. He's already made more money in his few years in hockey than he ever should have, and honestly, if he's not a money wasting wasting idiot (which I have strong doubts) he has made enough money that he will have made more than most people in this area in their lifetime. I'm cheering for the team bus to run him over.

2. Ryan Miller is overhyped, overrated, can't perform u less he has a lights out defense in front of him and should be traded. In fact he should have been traded after his Olympic run when he actually had some serious value. Now you'd be lucky to get a number 1 for him. The reason why you will never get more is because at the trade deadline, teams that are in the hunt or pushing for the playoffs and a cup already have a good goalie. The only hope is that a good team just gets a goalie injured. He's a weird, crazy looney that is just a plain strange person.

3. I Didnt intend to get 3 in but I can't help myself. Tyler Myers sucks. People want to think he's good because he got lucky one year. People want to think he's good because he's "Big", most fans words, not mine. He's a 6'5" beanpole. He's barely 200lbs soaking wet. He's the Roscoe Parrish of the hockey world. People that compare Myers to Charra make me want to gouge my eyeballs out with a rusty spoon. He's no where near Charra. Never has been, never will be. Charra is a BIG, Physical, monster that punishes people, Myers gets manhandled by guys like Derrick Roy.

With all that said, I still watch games, (sometimes) but honestly, it's the ignorant fans that believe in players like these 3 being good that's Lederer not want to watch hockey ever again. The bandwagon fans that jumped onto this team during the Presidents Trophy year make me sick. And they get extremely pissed when you call them out on it too. Like abusive pissed. Like they want to fight you pissed. I couldn't do anything but laugh when we just let Greer and McKee walk, then allowed Briere and Drury to hit FA because we were too inept at signing them mid season. Then way overpaid for Vanek, then let Campbell go the same way we let Briere and Drury go. Ya, we got something for him, still pointless when we could have and should have had HIM.

Ill get off my soapbox now. Just thought I needed to address this.

Not trying to change gears... BUT, what was the deal with sending MG back to the Remparts? They wasted a season. Blowing the team up and wanting to isolate him form dysfunctionality?

So they could bring Kaleta back on the roster...so they could make him a healthy scratch... :wacko:

Not trying to change gears... BUT, what was the deal with sending MG back to the Remparts? They wasted a season. Blowing the team up and wanting to isolate him form dysfunctionality?

I am not sure if that is part of it, but I think it may be an unintended positive result of the move. Anyone know the rule here...does this mean they can't bring Grigorenko back this year? I don't forsee any reason they should (they aren't going anywhere, so the circumstances of his demotion to Quebec won't change, as far at the team goes), just curious.

Heard on GR that the Sabres are shaking up the lines a lot, tonight for the Canadians game. We are going to see Hodgson, Vanek and Ott on the same line...that could be interesting. Pomminville to the second line. Enroth in goal.

2 things without reading or listening to that article.

1. Kaleta sucks. He's not a hockey player. He's a dumb idiot that can skate

2. Ryan Miller is overhyped, overrated,

3. I Didnt intend to get 3 in but I can't help myself. Tyler Myers sucks.

I would have cut Kaleta after the Rangers game. He cost us 2 points, and it would have sent a message to the team without sacrificing any one good

Miller could be prematurely past his prime. Ruff played him a lot of games. Could be on the downward slide now although goalies generally can play a long time. Of course there is no one to help him either. Let in one bad goal and we loose because there is no room for error

Myers looks bad. He plays slow and lost and looks worse every year. His size and reach helps him when he F's up. Similar size, he AIN'T NO CHARA, that's for sure

Heard on GR that the Sabres are shaking up the lines a lot, .

When I'm driving home listening to GR, they say that so often, and you know the result is the same, makes you want to drive into a bridge abutment :wallbash:

I am not sure if that is part of it, but I think it may be an unintended positive result of the move. Anyone know the rule here...does this mean they can't bring Grigorenko back this year? I don't forsee any reason they should (they aren't going anywhere, so the circumstances of his demotion to Quebec won't change, as far at the team goes), just curious.

They can bring him back, but only once Quebec's season is done.

Heard on GR that the Sabres are shaking up the lines a lot, tonight for the Canadians game. We are going to see Hodgson, Vanek and Ott on the same line...that could be interesting. Pomminville to the second line. Enroth in goal.

There is a rumor out that Patrick Roy (QUE Remparts GM and coach) may be asked to come into the Sabres organization... Is there any truth to this? Kinda interesting that they send MG back...

I would have cut Kaleta after the Rangers game. He cost us 2 points, and it would have sent a message to the team without sacrificing any one good

Miller could be prematurely past his prime. Ruff played him a lot of games. Could be on the downward slide now although goalies generally can play a long time. Of course there is no one to help him either. Let in one bad goal and we loose because there is no room for error

Myers looks bad. He plays slow and lost and looks worse every year. His size and reach helps him when he F's up. Similar size, he AIN'T NO CHARA, that's for sure

When I'm driving home listening to GR, they say that so often, and you know the result is the same, makes you want to drive into a bridge abutment :wallbash:

How many years older is Chara and how many teams did he bounce around to end up where he is? The fact of the matter is, it takes many years for a NHL defenseman to mature...

Kinda interesting that they send MG back...

No mystery at all on why Grigs got sent down. He'll play 25+ minutes a night in the Q--including PP and PK time--rather than 7-8 minutes on the Sabres 3rd or 4th line. You don't get better riding the pine...

Grigs went down because his play wasn't up to the NHL game yet. The only thing the Sabres did was burn a year on his entry level deal, because he went down before 23 games it doesn't count as a year towards UFA status. I know it pissed off many fans that their new saviour was sent back down, or not given extra playing time so they could see what he can do, but the coaching staff were not as impressed with what he was doing out there to 'reward" him with more minutes (you would have to take minutes away from Ennis and Hodgson to give him more). Going back to Quebec he can log more minutes in a playoff situation and work on what they were teaching him up here.

he can be called back up after the Remparts season is over, or he can be sent to Rochester after their playoffs are done.

No mystery at all on why Grigs got sent down. He'll play 25+ minutes a night in the Q--including PP and PK time--rather than 7-8 minutes on the Sabres 3rd or 4th line. You don't get better riding the pine...

At the start of the season, when the debate was whether to keep him in Buffalo or send him back to Quebec, the conventional wisdom was "there is nothing left for him to do down there....he isn't going to learn anything more in Quebec"... his first game back, he finished with a goal and three assists.