Sabres starting to come apart at the seams?

Buftex

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No mystery at all on why Grigs got sent down. He'll play 25+ minutes a night in the Q--including PP and PK time--rather than 7-8 minutes on the Sabres 3rd or 4th line. You don't get better riding the pine...

Hey Lurker, not sure if you listen to GR55. This is in line with what Exiled In Illinois was referring to. The guys on the morning show are speculating that Grigorenko was sent down to Quebec, cuz the Sabres season is dead, and he could help the Remparts out in their title quest...this, they speculate, would be to help out the next Sabres coach, Patrick Roy. Not sure how much, if any stock to put into this, but it is nice to think about. Roy has been bandied about as a GM and coaching candidate for a few years now. Apparently, he, personally, wasn't ready to make the jump to the NHL just yet (family reasons), but now has interest.

All that said, Sabres may have played their best period of hockey last night against the Habs, in the first period. They were flying...and then, played a decent second period (somehting they almost never do) before looking more like the 2012-13 (or is it just 2013 Sabres?) in the third, coughing up a two goal lead...nice to see Ott get the game winner in OT. But man, does every freaking game have to go into OT?

What do you know, they did change the lines a bit last night, and it seemed to have a positive effect, overall...much more energetic team overrall.

Edited by Buftex

The guys on the morning show are speculating that Grigorenko was sent down to Quebec, cuz the Sabres season is dead, and he could help the Remparts out in their title quest...

Sure, the Sabres are going nowhere and any kind of playoff experience is good experience. You don't have to be a 'GR wizard to put that 2+2 together.

I can't see Roy going to a low end media market like Buffalo. More likely, he'll bide his time and wait for a major market opening, hoping all the while for an existing team to relocate to Quebec City.

Now, enticing Rick Dudley to leave the Habs assistant GM position for Buffalo...THAT I could really see happening (he still lives in Lewiston, so the commute would be pretty short).

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens-rick-dudley-assistant-general-manager/

Edited by Lurker

Sure, the Sabres are going nowhere and any kind of playoff experience is good experience. You don't have to be a 'GR wizard to put that 2+2 together.

I can't see Roy going to a low end media market like Buffalo. More likely, he'll bide his time and wait for a major market opening, hoping all the while for an existing team to relocate to Quebec City.

Now, enticing Rick Dudley to leave the Habs assistant GM position for Buffalo...THAT I could really see happening (he still lives in Lewiston, so the commute would be pretty short).

http://www.sportsnet...eneral-manager/

Yeah, that wasn't really the gist of what they were saying...perhaps I explained it poorly...sending Grigorenko down to Quebec would help insure Roy some success at that level, and open him up to coming to Buffalo.

Yeah, that wasn't really the gist of what they were saying...perhaps I explained it poorly...sending Grigorenko down to Quebec would help insure Roy some success at that level, and open him up to coming to Buffalo.

Yeah, I got it. IMO, you could send an 18-year old Wayne Gretzky back to the Ramparts and it still wouldn't make Roy any more predisposed to follow him back to Buffalo in a year.

Roy has a lot more NHL marquee value ("juice") than an 18-year old prospect who might light up the Q, but is still unproven at the NHL level. My take is that whatever success Roy as an owner/GM at the junior level will have little impact on his willingness to step onto the small stage in Buffalo, despite the $$$$ that Terry Warbucks might dangle in front of him.

Anyway, I'd still prefer Dudley, who's a lot more seasoned as an NHL exec...

Yeah, I got it. IMO, you could send an 18-year old Wayne Gretzky back to the Ramparts and it still wouldn't make Roy any more predisposed to follow him back to Buffalo in a year.

Roy has a lot more NHL marquee value ("juice") than an 18-year old prospect who might light up the Q, but is still unproven at the NHL level. My take is that whatever success Roy as an owner/GM at the junior level will have little impact on his willingness to step onto the small stage in Buffalo, despite the $$$$ that Terry Warbucks might dangle in front of him.

Anyway, I'd still prefer Dudley, who's a lot more seasoned as an NHL exec...

Yeah, I will agree with you there...I just don't see Dudley leaving the Habs, especially with the kind of season they are having...they seem on the cusp of some very good things... Roy would certainly be intriguing.

And a revelation this morning: Both Mikhail Grigorenko and Stefan Matteau were on NHL active rosters for over 23 games. healthy scratch games also count and thus DID accumulate a year of service toward UFA.

Buffalo is not considered a small market in the NHL. In fact it's the NHL's #1 TV market for ratings in the US. Why do you think the Sabres are on NBC so often?

PTR

I thought Buffalo was behind Detroit, as far as tv ratings go.

This is kind of funny...

it's the NHL's #1 TV market for ratings in the US.

True. But that's only because of all the local coach potatoes with nothing better to do than sit in front of the boob tube. In the 'real world' of endorsements and cross-promotional marketing opportunities and TSN talking heads chatter, it's still Hooterville.

With no connection to Buffalo, Roy is just like the high profile NFL free agents that want to play in major media markets and/or legendary cities and don't give a thought to the Bills. Sure, these guys can occasionally be bought off (like Mario Williams), but I'd like a guy who might have some history/commitment to Buffalo (i.e., Dudley, Carriere) who doesn't have to be knocked out by dollar signs to come here...

Edited by Lurker

With no connection to Buffalo, Roy is just like the high profile NFL free agents that want to play in major media markets and/or legendary cities and don't give a thought to the Bills. Sure, these guys can occasionally be bought off (like Mario Williams), but I'd like a guy who might have some history/commitment to Buffalo (i.e., Dudley, Carriere) who doesn't have to be knocked out by dollar signs to come here...

Well, we'll have to take solace that, outside of Darcy, most NHL teams fire coaches and GM's at the first sign of turbulance...Dudley will likely become available sooner than later.

Okay...two wins in a row...Sabres (finally) showing a pulse. Hodgson looked great tonight...Miller made some terrific saves (especially in the shootout)...Ehrhnoff great game (he is our best D-man by a longshot) and even Ville Lleno had a good effort game...negative: when will they learn to win in regulation?

Okay...two wins in a row...Sabres (finally) showing a pulse. Hodgson looked great tonight...Miller made some terrific saves (especially in the shootout)...Ehrhnoff great game (he is our best D-man by a longshot) and even Ville Lleno had a good effort game...negative: when will they learn to win in regulation?

I haven't been able to watch much, but so far since his return, Leino has solid numbers. 3 points in 4 games, if he could actually sustain that pace, they'd be getting out of him what they had hoped for.

My fear is that they will stay in the playoff race just enough that Darcy won't make any significant changes. They are not LA, their power play is atrocious and they would not win in the playoffs. They need to look at next year. The only players that I would hate to be traded are Vanek, Ott, and Kaleta. They bring the effort every game.

Miller and/or Pommer need to go before they get to the last year of their contracts, and to create cap space, given the cap is going down next year.

baby steps, baby steps. The need to learn how to just win games first, then you can worry about where/when they win them. Rolston does talk about breaking everything down in "minutes" out there.

As for leino, he has looked pretty good, aside from whatever he was doing out there in the shootout

My fear is that they will stay in the playoff race just enough that Darcy won't make any significant changes. They are not LA, their power play is atrocious and they would not win in the playoffs. They need to look at next year. The only players that I would hate to be traded are Vanek, Ott, and Kaleta. They bring the effort every game.

Miller and/or Pommer need to go before they get to the last year of their contracts, and to create cap space, given the cap is going down next year.

You don't move players in spite. You try to get value for them. That said, I don't think moving Miller is a bad idea. Let him play for a contender as long as we get value in return. Pommers could go, maybe Stafford, but I'd keep Vanek.

What is interesting to me is how well the Rochester call-ups are playing. Why didn't these kids get a shot earlier? Probably because Ruff never let them unless injury forced his hand.

PTR