Sabres starting to come apart at the seams?

Buftex

So, Steve Ott was just on GR55...my new favorite Sabre. Howard Simon asked him about fans booing at Frontier. He said it was, "rediculous", "disheartening" and "pissed him off"..."negativity from fans doesn't help young players" , "neagativity breeds negativity" etc etc. He tried to back-track a little, saying he understands why the fans are disappointed, but mentioned how when they play in other buildings, the home team normally gets positive energy from their crowd.

Howard just mentioned that they have received a number of negative tweets about Ott's comments, people saying things like "Steve Ott just lost me as a fan"....

I have only been to HSBC arena a handful of times (never since the name change), but always found the crowds pretty supportive, even in lean years. Watching the games on Center Ice, I often hear the opposing teams broadcast... a number have made mention of the bad atmosphere in the arena this year...from things like "this is the quietest building we have been in all year", to "these fans are tough...its' a 0-0 hockey game".

For me, I have no problem with what Ott said, he backs it up on the ice.

Is this "hockey heaven"? Has all the losing really gotten to the core of the fan base for our two teams?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Steve Ott was just on GR55...my new favorite Sabre. Howard Simon asked him about fans booing at Frontier. He said it was, "rediculous", "disheartening" and "pissed him off"..."negativity from fans doesn't help young players" , "neagativity breeds negativity" etc etc. He tried to back-track a little, saying he understands why the fans are disappointed, but mentioned how when they play in other buildings, the home team normally gets positive energy from their crowd.

Howard just mentioned that they have received a number of negative tweets about Ott's comments, people saying things like "Steve Ott just lost me as a fan"....

I have only been to HSBC arena a handful of times (never since the name change), but always found the crowds pretty supportive, even in lean years. Watching the games on Center Ice, I often hear the opposing teams broadcast... a number have made mention of the bad atmosphere in the arena this year...from things like "this is the quietest building we have been in all year", to "these fans are tough...its' a 0-0 hockey game".

For me, I have no problem with what Ott said, he backs it up on the ice.

Is this "hockey heaven"? Has all the losing really gotten to the core of the fan base for our two teams?

It surprises me that Ott doesn't have a thicker skin, based on how he plays. I'm not personally one to boo during a tie game, but I think the young players should realize that they're paying for management's errors and not take it personally.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

It surprises me that Ott doesn't have a thicker skin, based on how he plays. I'm not personally one to boo during a tie game, but I think the young players should realize that they're paying for management's errors and not take it personally.

What would you prefer? If he says "it's every fan's right" you say he's being dismissive. If he says "the team deserves to get booed" you say he's given up. (this is the all encompassing 'you' that I'm talking about)

He answered honestly which is refreshing and, well...honest.

What would you prefer? If he says "it's every fan's right" you say he's being dismissive. If he says "the team deserves to get booed" you say he's given up. (this is the all encompassing 'you' that I'm talking about)

He answered honestly which is refreshing and, well...honest.

Honesty is good. But...fans don't boo during tie games just because they feel like being jerks. They boo because they watch a team that can barely clear the zone, allows a league-high in shorthanded goals to accompany a league-low in power play goals scored, and depends entirely on their mercurial goaltender for rare wins.

I'd personally love it if he said "the team deserves to get booed". Ott being the team's leader, the young guys need to understand the following - celebrate your 2 points for about five minutes and then ask yourself why that game went to overtime in the first place.

Honesty is good. But...fans don't boo during tie games just because they feel like being jerks. They boo because they watch a team that can barely clear the zone, allows a league-high in shorthanded goals to accompany a league-low in power play goals scored, and depends entirely on their mercurial goaltender for rare wins.

I'd personally love it if he said "the team deserves to get booed". Ott being the team's leader, the young guys need to understand the following - celebrate your 2 points for about five minutes and then ask yourself why that game went to overtime in the first place.

Mercurial is a good word. Miller needs to stop that shorthanded goal from the high slot.

Anyway... They get paid a ton of money while many people are struggling to pay outrageous prices to watch them... They should have thicker skin and realize this, that the fans pay their bloated salaries.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Mercurial is a good word. Miller needs to stop that shorthanded goal from the high slot.

Anyway... They get paid a ton of money while many people are struggling to pay outrageous prices to watch them... They should have thicker skin and realize this, that the fans pay their bloated salaries.

Let's not kid ourselves. It's TV and corporate sponsor deals that are paying these salaries, not the fans.

I may be wrong on this, but it seems like hockey teams feed off the vibe of a crowd, more so than with other sports. Funny, one of the guys on the morning show referenced a story about Grigorenko who, as you recall, was sent back down to the minors, in Quebec. They asked Grigorenko what the biggest difference was between playing in Buffalo and Quebec...his answer was "I don't get booed here". Ouch!

Personally, I think, at last count, I have been to close to 200 Bills games, and 200+ Sabres games in my day...so I have some experience rooting for bad/under-achieving teams...I can't remember ever, once, booing. Maybe I am forgetting something...I agree fans have the right to boo, but that game the other night was kind of embarassing. A friend of mine, a Devils fan, was watching, and during the game, he posted on my Facebook page some comment about "Buffalo sounds like Philly"...wasn't sure how to feel about that.

I understand where you are coming from, and I guess in theory, intellectually I agree. But, the whole notion of fandom kind of makes the fans part of the team, in a way...beyond the money, we are kind of bonded with the guys on our teams, for better or worse. I would hate to think that my disgust with Darcy Reger would interfere with the development of Mikhail Grigorkenko! :lol:

I may be wrong on this, but it seems like hockey teams feed off the vibe of a crowd, more so than with other sports. Funny, one of the guys on the morning show referenced a story about Grigorenko who, as you recall, was sent back down to the minors, in Quebec. They asked Grigorenko what the biggest difference was between playing in Buffalo and Quebec...his answer was "I don't get booed here". Ouch!

Personally, I think, at last count, I have been to close to 200 Bills games, and 200+ Sabres games in my day...so I have some experience rooting for bad/under-achieving teams...I can't remember ever, once, booing. Maybe I am forgetting something...I agree fans have the right to boo, but that game the other night was kind of embarassing. A friend of mine, a Devils fan, was watching, and during the game, he posted on my Facebook page some comment about "Buffalo sounds like Philly"...wasn't sure how to feel about that.

I understand where you are coming from, and I guess in theory, intellectually I agree. But, the whole notion of fandom kind of makes the fans part of the team, in a way...beyond the money, we are kind of bonded with the guys on our teams, for better or worse. I would hate to think that my disgust with Darcy Reger would interfere with the development of Mikhail Grigorkenko! :lol:

I agree... I never do the booing. It is what it is. Players whining and crying about is not going to help. The booing does seem to becoming more prevelant with the younger generation. Again, it is what it is and nobody is going to stop it. Negativity fouls negativity. People spend a lot of money to go to these games and they take it personal. It isn't like getting tickets behind the BFLO bench in 1982 for under 20 bucks... There is so much invested in sports and people vent when they do not have a good time. Players have to suck it up. No way should it have an impact on player development.

I agree... I never do the booing. It is what it is. Players whining and crying about is not going to help. The booing does seem to becoming more prevelant with the younger generation. Again, it is what it is and nobody is going to stop it. Negativity fouls negativity. People spend a lot of money to go to these games and they take it personal. It isn't like getting tickets behind the BFLO bench in 1982 for under 20 bucks... There is so much invested in sports and people vent when they do not have a good time. Players have to suck it up. No way should it have an impact on player development.

There is a thread over on Sabre Space about this topic. A poster who goes by the name Ghost of Dwight Drane wrote a pretty nice post about the 2006-07 season. He contends, this is the season that (my own words) the Sabres sort of became the "thing to do" in Buffalo, and the arena went from being barely sold out on a nightly basis, to everybody wanting tickets...there were a lot of "bandwagon" fans latching on to the team. He contends, that was the season that the atmosphers at HSBC/Frontier really changed from a hockey lovers' realm, to a broader fan base who were more apt to not understand the game, and more apt to boo at inappropriate times. Interesting. I have only been to one game in the last 5 years, and I don't remember the crowd being overly rambunctious....

Edited by Buftex

There is a thread over on Sabre Space about this topic. A poster who goes by the name Ghost of Dwight Drane wrote a pretty nice post about the 2006-07 season. He contends, this is the season that (my own words) the Sabres sort of became the "thing to do" in Buffalo, and the arena went from being barely sold out on a nightly basis, to everybody wanting tickets...there were a lot of "bandwagon" fans latching on to the team. He contends, that was the season that the atmosphers at HSBC/Frontier really changed from a hockey lovers' realm, to a broader fan base who were more apt to not understand the game, and more apt to boo at inappropriate times. Interesting. I have only been to one game in the last 5 years, and I don't remember the crowd being overly rambunctious....

True. Same thing happened in Chicago. I went to a few 'Hawks games prior to Old Man Wirtz croaking and the box office would pester me on the phone to get seasons and tix packages... They would not stop until I told them off that I was a Sabres fan... LoL... I almost croaked too when I see what tickets are going for @ the UC! They got the last laugh when Wirtz bought the farm... If I had those seasons, I would be rolling in the dough... Standing Room Only on Stub Hub is going for 150 bucks... Nose bleed 300's for almost 200!

Same thing happened @ Sox Park after Chicago won the WS in 2005... Everybody wanted to be seen @ the ballgame... Cooled down a bit... Was getting brutal!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Remember darcy built this pos team. One small soft team. Their collecting their checks. It must be yhe holiday inn over there. Pegula built that huge lockeroom for his players . How sad they are!