Trade A Pro Bowler to Trade Up

dcjoev

With Jacksonville & Oakland suddenly throwing out smokescreens about drafting Geno Smith, the Bills chances look bleak, if he is truly at the top of their QB board. But what are the chances the Bills offer up a trade that doesn't include tossing away multiple picks (including future 1st rounders) like the Redskins had to do last year to move up from Pick 6 to #2 for RG3?

Now, please hear me out, because I'm posting this to get some honest opinions from those who think Buffalo has no choice but to do "everything they can" to land Geno.

I've already read through previous posts about the pros and cons of drafting Geno. I've read the ones that say the Bills should stay at 8 and draft the BPA. I've been part of the conversation about drafting Matt Barkley or waiting til Round 2 or trading back into the lower first round to draft Nassib. And I've advocated taking our shot at Wilson, Glennon, Manuel, Jones and even Scott. But that's not what this post is about.

It's about finding the ammunition to trade up for the highest-rated QB in the draft, who could be the Face of the Bills franchise for the next decade.

Buffalo has two Pro Bowlers it can offer up that would be hard for the Jags and Raiders to pass up.

Jacksonville's interior line just lost free agent DT Terrance Knighton, who signed with Denver. The Jags also released underperforming safety Dawan Landry.

Meanwhile, the Raiders just cut starting free safety (and former 1st rounder) Michael Huff. And they're going to be desperate to replace the pathetic Tommy Kelly and unrestricted free agent Richard Seymour, who may be as good as gone by the weekend.

Want more proof? 7 out of 9 mock drafts on NFL.com have the Raiders taking Florida DT Shariff Floyd or Utah'a Star Lotulelei, if his heart condition checks out.

So, why can't the Bills flip flop picks and offer up either Kyle Williams or fellow 2-time Pro Bowler Jarius Byrd? If they have to kick in a second-rounder and a future pick, so be it.

Obviously, Williams health is in question, as he awaits minor surgery on his right foot. But according to him, it's not nearly as bad as his left one was and he should be 100% by training camp.

As for Byrd, he can still be traded (despite the franchise tag) because the Bills have the right to rescind his tender, at any time, if he hasn't signed it. So far, Byrd hasn't signed it (and doesn't actually have to until a June 15th deadline). In addition, Buffalo mysteriously used the non-exclusive franchise tag on Byrd. That means Jarius is free to talk to and negotiate with any team he wants to, until he signs his tender. It normally means the Bills can match any offer and if they don't, they'd receive 2 first-round draft choices by Byrd's new team.

But instead of doing that, Buffalo could work out a 'move-up' trade with Jacksonville or Oakland that includes Byrd, the rescinding of his tag and the waiver of the two first-round picks that the trade partner would normally have to relinquish. In exchange, the Bills would get their man, Geno Smith!

Edited by dcjoev

Kyle Williams is not worth dropping 6 picks in the draft - even this one. He is coming off one foot surgery and may need another(I never heard if he had surgery on his other foot last year). He has been a non-facotr ever since getting his big contract too.

Byrd is a true talent and the Bills have very little. The only way he gets moved is if a long term deal can not be worked out.

It would be bad enough that Buffalo used the #8 for a 2nd round quarterback, now you want to give up a top Buffalo player as well?

Ah, I don't thik so.....

Edited by HOUSE

Nobody wants Kyle Williams.... Trade the 8th pick for a Mid/End first rounder and an additional 2nd. Draft Jarvis Jones in the first, then get Barkley/Nassib and Deandre Hopkins in the second..... My master plan, that wont happen

Nobody wants Kyle Williams.... Trade the 8th pick for a Mid/End first rounder and an additional 2nd. Draft Jarvis Jones in the first, then get Barkley/Nassib and Deandre Hopkins in the second..... My master plan, that wont happen

You assume Jones is going to fall to the middle of the 1st round. I doubt that will happen. And what is the one player someone will covet at #8 to give their 1st and 2nd for ?

i agree williams seems to have hit the wall

May be the Bills need to stop putting more former players on the Wall. That wall is just getting too strong year after year!!! making it difficult for the players to get over it :rolleyes:

I dont understand the hate for Kyle Williams, he's been our anchor in the middle, and was very good last year. Disruptive as usual. I dont get the hate.

When the line you are anchoring is 32 and 31 against the run for the past two seasons, he definitely deserves some criticism.

I could not disagree more. I think we need to trade down to get more picks to fill our overwhelming major holes. No QB this year is really worth a round one pick. They may be picked in the first round by foolish, desperate teams (like the Bills), but none is worth the gamble of having enough value in the 1st round based on their true worth. As far as trading Byrd, we might ultimately end up having to do that , but only as a last resort if it appears there is no way to sign him long term. Yes, Kyle unfortunately appears to be at the wrong end of his game and is heading into decline, so for the right player or pick I would trade him before he loses value, but only if that pick or player was a solution to a hole, while not creating yet another hole we don't have a competent player to fill.

I dont understand the hate for Kyle Williams, he's been our anchor in the middle, and was very good last year. Disruptive as usual. I dont get the hate.

You don't get it. If Kyle Williams was cut today, no team would sign him. He just gets voted to pro bowls because he looks like Peter Griffin and not because of his play.

With Jacksonville & Oakland suddenly throwing out smokescreens about drafting Geno Smith, the Bills chances look bleak, if he is truly at the top of their QB board.

First you're calling them smokescreens - then say our chances look bleak. I'm not sure I get what you're saying we have to do?

You assume Jones is going to fall to the middle of the 1st round. I doubt that will happen. And what is the one player someone will covet at #8 to give their 1st and 2nd for ?

My guess is OT Lane Johnson...

With Joeckel and Fisher going in the Top 5-7 (at least I believe they will), that leaves Johnson as the top LT prospect available...He's a kid with tremendous upside, freakish athletic ability for an OT, and the fall off from Johnson to the next LT prospect in this Draft is pretty serious...I could see a team that is desperate for an OT, especially a LT, to possibly Trade up... B-)

Signs huge contract....waits 10 minutes.....boo boo foot out for season. That's why.

Anyway I still wouldn't do this trade for Smith. It just creates another hole. With Williams we at least have a chance to do some things on defense and be disruptive causing some excitement for the fan base. I don' know if a rookie QB in an off year can really do that. It seems like it would be a rough season and the goal would be a glimmer of hope. If he is there at 8 cool. If not, cool.

the only way you do a trade like that, is if the QB's name is Andrew or Robert the third... not Geno

Yep. Or Johny Manzel. Gino is not worth trading up for, and the Raiders are full of sh*t.

My guess is OT Lane Johnson...

With Joeckel and Fisher going in the Top 5-7 (at least I believe they will), that leaves Johnson as the top LT prospect available...He's a kid with tremendous upside, freakish athletic ability for an OT, and the fall off from Johnson to the next LT prospect in this Draft is pretty serious...I could see a team that is desperate for an OT, especially a LT, to possibly Trade up... B-)

I would agree. Also, trading down would allow us to grab Olgetree. I think ILB is a bigger need now than OLB. Plus, Olgetree is a rare combo of a rangy ILB.

Jax and Oakland threw out the smokescreens BEFORE Geno turned heads at his pro day on Thursday.

Prior to the start of free agency, speculation ran rampant that Carson Palmer could be a cap casualty for the Raiders because of his ridiculous salary...

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000148792/

Then, there were reports that the Raiders were interested in Geno...

http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_22791789/raiders-among-teams-watching-geno-smith-work-out

And BEFORE attending Smith's WVU Pro Day, a large contingent of Jags representatives SCHEDULED to meet with Smith, as soon as he walked off the field. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21877683/west-virginia-pro-day-austin-smith-open-eyes

With their smokescreens up, the Jags & Raiders were then able to get an eyeful of Smith, and in Jacksonville's case, an earful!

Now, it's simply a game of chess... But for the Bills, it's "game on," IF, and ONLY if, they really want Geno.

From here on out, there's no way to read what the Jags and Raiders are thinking, so if Buffalo wants Smith, they'll have NO choice but to move up for him. In other words, they better come correct!

Edited by dcjoev

We love Williams! We love Dareus! So why can't this defense stop the run?

Overated Tackles?

It's not just the LB's! The Tackles are supposed to make the ILB's look good. Our ILB's suck, therefore our DT's . . . . .

Wow. We have gone from Ryan Pickspatrick to full panic. Trade one of our better defenders on a lousy defense to move up? Insanity. No doubt we need to address the QB position. No doubt we need to select one in this draft. But there is no way we should be trading anyone or anything to move up this year. Last year, I stated that we should move up for RGIII and got BLASTED on this board. He is a talent worth trading up for.

I say let the cards fall as they may and if they feel they can get a franchise guy at 8, take him. If not, if it's a reach just to fill the QB slot, then pick the BPA. Don't trade up, especially when teams KNOW how desperate you are to get a QB, which puts us bargaining from a position of weakness from the get-go.

I have been one of the most outspoken board members about the QB being the most important position on the team. I'd just hate to hand the keys to someone simply because, despite being a crappy driver, he's the only kid with a license. We've seen what a Losman-like panic can do for a team.

If they truly feel Smith is the man and he falls to them, by all means, pull the trigger.

Edited by Marauder24

I think a lot of people tend to just look at Geno as the guy that throws a nice ball, has a live arm, and ran an up tempo offense out of a spread formation.

Now what they don't realize is that he worked exclusively out of the shotgun formation. The nuances of working under center, three- four - five step drops and the footwork that goes with it all the while making reads and processing info quickly. Ball fakes in the run game etc. These are all things he's gonna have to learn to do instinctively... all the while he's learning totally new terminology and a totally new type of offense.

That spells PROJECT. Is he more of an Andre Ware, Akili Smith, Dennis Dixon type who can only play in that type of offensive sysyem? I think so

And since the Bills have already made their bed at qb, they really have no option but to start a rookie qb rigjt out of the gate and live with those consequences. I don't think its Geno under any circumstances. If the Bills are hyping Geno, its a smokescreen... and that goes for other teams that are blowing smoke. No one is going to tip their hand.

Bills can't be wrong this time... they will need to look beyond the sexy arm... they all seem to have that... they are gonna to have to look at who the best fit for their system is.... the mind set, grit, and fb knowledge, leadership, toughness,and savvy. I'm just not feeling it with Geno.

this forum could use more gifs ( :devil:)

next time, embed it right in the message, then you and the mods can have a conversation that goes a little something like this:

9yDCsKS.gif

I didn't even realize I could embed it. Awesome!

3VGmN.gif

Wow. We have gone from Ryan Pickspatrick to full panic. Trade one of our better defenders on a lousy defense to move up? Insanity. No doubt we need to address the QB position. No doubt we need to select one in this draft. But there is no way we should be trading anyone or anything to move up this year. Last year, I stated that we should move up for RGIII and got BLASTED on this board. He is a talent worth trading up for.

I say let the cards fall as they may and if they feel they can get a franchise guy at 8, take him. If not, if it's a reach just to fill the QB slot, then pick the BPA. Don't trade up, especially when teams KNOW how desperate you are to get a QB, which puts us bargaining from a position of weakness from the get-go.

I have been one of the most outspoken board members about the QB being the most important position on the team. I'd just hate to hand the keys to someone simply because, despite being a crappy driver, he's the only kid with a license. We've seen what a Losman-like panic can do for a team.

If they truly feel Smith is the man and he falls to them, by all means, pull the trigger.

Speaking of Geno...I've been saying forever that...in the end...Geno would be gone by #8...I just feel QB's will get over-drafted regardless...And there is a lot to like about Smith...Put those two things together and it just figures some team is going to gamble on greatness with Geno...If you watched the NFL Network last night (Total Access and Path To The Draft) some of the same people who were saying Geno was not a top 10 pick were back-tracking big time after his workout...The thing about Geno that is going to play to his advantage is his humility, and love for the game...He's a really good kid with a great work-ethic, he's humble, and he loves football...if you're going to gamble, he's got all the off-field stuff checked off big-time...

So I'm doubting Smith will be there at #8...I'm also going to speculate that Barkley is gone too...My guess right now is, some how-some way, Geno goes Top 6, and Barkley goes #7 to Arizona...And if I'm the Bills at that point I bail out of #8 like it's on fire...Grab as much as you can...Maybe even Trade down twice, and THEN take whatever QB you like best from the remaining group...In a Trade down scenario you get extra picks to fill the many holes, plus you stay in the 1st Round and allow yourself the luxury of taking a Nassib, or Manual, or whoever, a little higher than they are projected...To me at least...the Trade down scenario is a win/win for the Bills...

And before anybody responds to this with the typical rhetoric...Yes the Bills are going to need a Trade down partner...Something a million teams have somehow found in the past...Can't understand why every time Trading down is talked about concerning the Bills on this board...all of a sudden...the concept becomes more impossible than colonizing Mars... B-)