Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+2

I will like this move more when we bring in a #2, DHB? and an OG...

Interesting thought. I wonder if the Bills will have more luck in free agency targeting a wide receiver with a more viable QB option on the roster than TJax, Corp and a yet to be drafted rookie.

Edited by transient

I like this signing a lot. He will end up costing half what Fitz would have cost and will be at least as effective (more so IMO). But more importantly, This gives the bills flexibility in the draft. No longer do they NEED to draft a starting QB, nor do they need to start the rookie right away, regardless of whether he's ready.

Obviously, they should still draft a QB as Kolb isnt the next Jim Kelly, but I doubt they reach for one with the 8th pick now, and that's a good thing. Assuming that Geno is gone at #8, I'd be very happy if they pick WR or LB in the first, best QB available at 40, and WR or LB (whichever position wasn't taken in the 1st) in the 3rd round. Round out the draft with a CB, G, and another LB

Even better would be trading back. Trading say from 8 to 20 would give them two second and two third rounders, giving them 5 picks in the first three rounds.

Also forgot to mention that they could probably trade from 8 to 22 - 25 and get that teams 2014 1st rounder and this year's 3rd rounder. They would still get an extra pick in this years draft and have 2 1st rounders in 2014, putting them in great position to draft another QB then. I love the idea of the Bills having say Nassib or Manuel and one of next seasons top QB prospects going into the 2014 season.

A 9.3 percent sack rate lifetime -- that's pretty bad. And I don't necessarily attribute that to the Cards' line. QBs often are so sack prone that they make otherwise average lines look far worse than they really are. See Beck, John; Johnson, Rob; and Kolb, Kevin.

For evidence, check out his sack rate vs. that of the other AZ qbs last year: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/crd/2012.htm .

Methinks that Cordy Glenn will be blamed unfairly next year for giving up too many sacks ...

Edited by dave mcbride

"Kolb also enjoys hunting wild hogs in his spare time. It may seem dangerous to hunt with just a twelve-inch Bowie knife, but Kolb assured the public, "Our dogs go and find 'em first, and then we stab the pigs. It's a little bit dangerous, but as long as you know what you're doing, you'll be all right.""

Adam Caplan@caplannfl 12m

Bills should target OLB or LT at #8.

Adam Caplan@caplannfl 11m

All 3 LTs that will go off the board by #11 are better than Glenn. That's why you select one of them if you're the Bills or OLB.

Adam Caplan@caplannfl 3m

Bills could finally build a really good OL by selecting one of those LTs. Move Glenn to guard (started 30 games there in college).

Oh boy Caplan... :huh:

The Bills have Eric Pears and Chris Hairston at RT, but you're Drafting an OT to move Cordy inside? Why again? Because he played OG at Georgia (mostly as a Freshman and Sophomore)? But...He played LT in the NFL, as a Rookie 2nd Round pick no less, and more than held his own...Why move him inside? He's huge, long, and super athletic for a man his size...I think Cordy is a Pro Bowl level RT from day one...

I'm not totally against the Bills Drafting OT in the 1st...And we're talking about Lane Johnson here I'm guessing...Joeckel and Fisher will likely be gone...There are some, like NFL Networks Danial Jeremiah, who feel Johnson could go in the Top 7 if the other two go in the Top 3...

So...It's basically Johnson if he's there...I like Johnson a lot...He and Glenn would give the Bills a nice pair of bookends...I'm sure Marrone has a BIG say on this possibility...I'd still prefer the QB...But if we see Joeckel, Jordan, Fisher, Milliner, Floyd, Geno, and Ansah go Top 7...I think Johnson is a major possibility for the Bills...But in that scenario, I would look towards what the Bills are going to be willing to give up to get back into the bottom of the 1st...Because by the time it gets to #41 overall, I think the QB pickings will be slim...Well...Slimmer at least...

Anyway...Cordy at LG? No thanks... B-)

Interesting thought. I wonder if the Bills will have more luck in free agency targeting a wide receiver with a more viable QB option on the roster than TJax, Corp and a yet to be drafted rookie.

After the first few weeks I do not think any players cared who the QB was, they just wanted to sign somewhere. Any WR on the market is going to sign for a team that pays him fairly regardless if that QB is Brady or Quincy Carter.

I don't like Glennon but I like the Kolb signing because it reduces the pressure to reach for a seriously flawed QB in the first round of a bad QB draft.

Watch the tape, Glennon has it! Can make ALL the throws, read defenses well, can slide in pocket, receivers dropped a lot of passes. Had some impressive come from behind victories against good competition. Played behind inconsistent offensive line. Caplan hit it on the head, draft L. Johnson at 8. Put Cordy on right side, this will help CJ in run game as well. Get Glennon in 2nd. Robert Woods/Darick Rogers in 3rd. Gavin Escobar in 4th, will be our Keith McKellar. AJ Klein will be our first defender in 5th. Shemarko Thomas in 6. Incoming QB will need as many weapons as possible. Target DHB in FA.

Watch the tape, Glennon has it! Can make ALL the throws, read defenses well, can slide in pocket, receivers dropped a lot of passes. Had some impressive come from behind victories against good competition. Played behind inconsistent offensive line. Caplan hit it on the head, draft L. Johnson at 8. Put Cordy on right side, this will help CJ in run game as well. Get Glennon in 2nd. Robert Woods/Darick Rogers in 3rd. Gavin Escobar in 4th, will be our Keith McKellar. AJ Klein will be our first defender in 5th. Shemarko Thomas in 6. Incoming QB will need as many weapons as possible. Target DHB in FA.

I would be furious if they pick Glennon at 8. Geno I would be ok with, Barkley I could tolerate as well, but taking Glennon in the first when he and others will be there at 40 is ludicrous.

Did your years of scouting tell you there is no franchise QB or are you influenced by what you hear on ESPN?

I'm willing to bet that a year from today we'll see threads by people there was no good QB this year to make a thread about why we are dumb for not drafting <insert name here>

Zac Dysert in the 3rd

Kolb sucks we all know that.

But he aint no Fitzpatrick either.

A small step forward yawn inducing move of mediocrity. It doesnt get me excited, but anythings better than who we've had.

Disagree. Fitzpatrick is a better and more durable player. Kolb is not a good NFL starter. He reminds me of Trent Edwards, actually.

If Bills think Kolb is the answer they are foolish. Take a qb in the first round no matter what.

I'm not sure how it is not apparent that this move is to prevent them from having to take a QB in the 1st round to people. They may like Geno, but if he's not there, then what? Reach for a QB you don't believe in? If the Qb they want isn't there then they can look to next season and take better talent at number 8.

This move was made to give them options with a side of "well, maybe we'll strike oil".

Edited by jeremy2020