Has anyone seen this team worse off than right now?

I wonder when this signing of solid free agents will start?

If they stick to Nix's philosophy of building through the draft and when you are close to contending supplement with FA's then if all goes well it should start in 3 years or so (maybe 2 if the stars align and God smiles down on the Bills).

Edited by CodeMonkey

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer the OP's question, yes I've seen it much worse. But so what? This has been going on for 13 years ladies and gentlemen. 13 years! I can tell you right now how the story ends: No playoffs. Again. Between now and then you can wring your hands and gnash your teeth all you want about what does or doesn't happen, but in the end it's just another groundhog day of a season in store for 2013.

Here's another part of this years offseason puzzle that i was just thinking about. This is something we can rehash a bit in this less than exciting time of Bills FA .

Last year after the draft we had 2 draft picks that we let walk, after using up 2 draft picks & all the evaluation time for them they weren't thought highly enough apparently to put on the 53 man roster but felt were good enough for the practice squad.

If the move of trying to put Asper, (now possibly the biggest lose with Andy being gone) trying to place him on the PS he could have quite possibly been the heir apparent to the guard position, but with another bungled move by the FO we will be trying to pick or draft another O lineman this year.

Then there is the fact that Wood will come to the end of his contract next year & with Asper being a player that could play center puts even more of a emphasis on the loss of that pick.

There were other players kept on the roster one being Morrison (which did absolutely nothing last year) or one of the other weak LB's that were kept around like a C. White or another O lineman like Keith Williams that Rumblings said was very limited in his athleticism that wasn't used would have been put aside to actually develop our draft picks we may be in a better position at 2 positions this year than it stands right now.

Once again i know it will be said that draft picks are lost all the time but why are we stuck in this place & other teams get better & better ? Look at what the Fins have done they just jumped into the lead this FA period & will more than likely make a run for the AFC east championship this year & we will once again be 3 if not 4 in the division b/c of the lack of forward thinking in the FO ...

77 Glenn, Cordy OT 6-5 343 23 R Georgia 66 Welch, Thomas OT 6-6 300 25 1 Vanderbilt

75 Hairston, Chris LT 6-6 330 23 2 Clemson 64 Eckerson, Hutch OL 6-6 310 25 1 South Carolina 62 Grant, Adam OL 6-6 320 26 1 Arizona 72 Sanders, Zebrie OL 6-6 318 23 R Florida State 73 Scott, Chris OL 6-4 320 25 2 Tennessee 61 Snow, David OL 6-4 305 23 R Texas 74 Brown, Colin C 6-7 326 27 2 Missouri 70 Wood, Eric C 6-4 310 26 4 Louisville 75 Hairston, Chris LT 6-6 330 23 2 Clemson

Why are you panicking about Asper ??? Levitre is a loss, but an $8 million loss. Bills were not going to invest $8 million into a G, and it was Levitre who wanted to test FA, can't blame him for that.

http://www.cbssports...4186/mark-asper

Asper only played in 1 game for Jacksonville and that was week 17. You are over reacting. We have a stable of young developing OL, and we wil bring in more before FA is over with

Edited by Snorom

.......Look at what the Fins have done they just jumped into the lead this FA period & will more than likely make a run for the AFC east championship this year & we will once again be 3 if not 4 in the division b/c of the lack of forward thinking in the FO ...

Simply focusing on the players a team signs is only half of the story.....

The Fins have just lost their leading rusher(Bush) and their all-pro LT(Long).

I dont mean this in a negative way. I am merely calling it as I see it. Has anyone else seen the Bills in more dire straits than right now? Ive been going to the stadium since the early 70's and suffered through some tough times like the rest of you. But I dont ever remember it being as bad as it is right now. ................................................................... Maybe our D line is a strength but the jury is still out and Dareus hasnt played like a number 3 over all. He gets a pass for his brothers death.

I've been a fan since 1967. There have been some bad Bills teams over the years, but what makes this team and the string of teams since 2000 is this happens in the age of parity, with free agency and the cap, and we still can't get to competitive.

How long does this guy get a pass? 6 months? 2 years? 10 years? Someone in your family dies, how long do you get off from work, and then they expect you back fully contributing?

Some of you guys would be the worst builders ever (of anything) and probably sucked at puzzles.

Half built and you're ready to say "this looks like total crap. We should quit..." and get all depressed.

This team is half built as of today with hundreds of players in FA out there, the draft and camp yet to come.

Talk to me after training camp.

tough to beat the Dan Darragh, Gary Marangi years of the late sixties. After we traded LaMonica Kemp got hurt and we went into a slump and never came up for air until OJ Simpson was drafted. I think that was the worst. Don't give up hope though..if we keep this up we will put together the worst situation we ever had.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread so I'll probably be echoing what already has been said, but here is goes anyways. Without a good QB in today's NFL you will not be able to compete. A great QB changes everything. Until that happens this organization will continue to flounder. So yeah, things are bleak and hopeless for now.

I agree its going to be very rough this year. Anyone who thinks otherwise may need to take a step back and evaluate as a non fan. As for Ralph, he has been pretty good thru the years at hiring inept managers of the organization. A few years back I stumbled upon the teams overall win %. It was .340 , I think that was 8 years ago or so. I am betting were are hovering around .320 but I will find out. If so, thats losing more than 2/3 of your games throughout the years.

Currently (1960-2012) 370 wins and 426 losses (I'm ignoring the 8 ties) for a .465 winning percentage I believe.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Why are you panicking about Asper ??? Levitre is a loss, but an $8 million loss. Bills were not going to invest $8 million into a G, and it was Levitre who wanted to test FA, can't blame him for that.

http://www.cbssports...4186/mark-asper

No one should care about Asper save for one point. The current team is not stacked with talent at positions despite what Brandon said in January. And so, when you take a guy in the 6th round who you like in the early part of the year only to cut him in August, it speaks to the point the personnel team isn't on the same page.

And given the lack of a vision advanced by the cell phone challenged GM, I should think this really isn't surprising.

I dont mean this in a negative way. I am merely calling it as I see it. Has anyone else seen the Bills in more dire straits than right now? Ive been going to the stadium since the early 70's and suffered through some tough times like the rest of you. But I dont ever remember it being as bad as it is right now. From the Buddy nix phone call that was just pathetic from a GM. To a long term deal with a journeyman contract. At one point we had Russ Brandon as the GM not too mention we have only hit on a few draft picks in the last ten or so years. 13 years of no playoffs. People can flame away at me, franky I dont care my life will go on. As of right now, and I know its been discussed already, but we have 1 wide receiver, no tight end until some point in the season, just lost the top or close to the top guards in the NFL, Fred Jackson has wear and tear so we have no depth at RB. We have one QB on the roster that we gave a 7th round pick for then never dressed him the whole year. Oh, and this QB cant hit the broad side of a barn. On defense we have no linebackers and wow, we signed a second stringer from Cinci. Maybe our D line is a strength but the jury is still out and Dareus hasnt played like a number 3 over all. He gets a pass for his brothers death. At safety we are weak and at CB too. I am bracing for 1-15 to 3-13 at very best. Yes my friends, its that bad. So get your popcorn ready for the comedy show.

i agree man. i dont think 1-15, but this team is brutal. no QB, no 2nd 3rd 4th 5th receiever, bad corners, terrible linebackers. this team has so many holes. ill say 4-12- 6-10 range

84-85 was worse than this if you can imagine that.

But to the OP umm this is not looking like a good season coming up. Maybe they will surprise us.

But them cutting Fitz gives me hope somewhat because I think we finally a Coach that can judge talent when he sees it.

It isn't what the bills do..its what they don't do. They should have known that Fitz wasn't in their plan and that there was no viable backup. That being the case they should clearly have been more aggressive with the possibilty of Alex Smith. The have a ton of weak spots to fill prior to opening day and could address two or three of them in the draft, but free agency is also the place to make moves. The Lawson move is one good move, but we seem to be a little (a lot) slow on the uptake here. At the moment we have no quarterback, a disastrously weakened offensive line, a suspect run and pass defense and no cavalry in sight.

I'm not panicing, but I'm less than impressed with the lack of a sense of urgency on the part of the Bills.

I'm looking forward to Russ Brandon's next video taped monologue. With of course no press there.

Personally, now that he's the head clown, I place all of the next series of failures squarely on his shoulders.

As out of touch the team is with Nix. Brandon apparently is blind, because the guy is still employed. Whats worse is he is scouting QB's. Whaley may be in the same boat. By now if this franchise had success anywhere, you would think Whaley would have received some atta boys. Just to promote some feeling with the fanbase, that at least someone in the FO is competent. However, OBD is full of crickets.

It isn't what the bills do..its what they don't do. They should have known that Fitz wasn't in their plan and that there was no viable backup. That being the case they should clearly have been more aggressive with the possibilty of Alex Smith. The have a ton of weak spots to fill prior to opening day and could address two or three of them in the draft, but free agency is also the place to make moves. The Lawson move is one good move, but we seem to be a little (a lot) slow on the uptake here. At the moment we have no quarterback, a disastrously weakened offensive line, a suspect run and pass defense and no cavalry in sight.

I'm not panicing, but I'm less than impressed with the lack of a sense of urgency on the part of the Bills.

Not trying to be argumentative, but the Bills reportedly called Lawson's agent at 12:01 a.m. on the first day negotiating was allowed. I'd suggest that shows a sense of urgency and a specific plan. Whether it's the plan anyone likes is another matter, and I can't say I disagree with your comments about doing something with Fitz before the 11th hour. Again, however, even Fitz said he and Buddy were having regular conversations over the last several weeks.

We reportedly were so after Smith that it drove up the price for KC. We have 6 picks this year.

How can we address our "ton of weak spots" by trading away all of our picks to get Alex Smith?

This is typical Bills fan BS where you want to have your cake but eat it too. There are limited resources to work with.

Everyone complains, but if it were up to this board the Bills would have spent all of their cap space on a Guard, all of their draft picks on San Fran's backup QB... and then youd all be bitching about not being able to address LB, WR, TE, etc.

So which is it?

Edited by DrDareustein