Has anyone seen this team worse off than right now?

I never made any statements to that effect. I understand how they would be helpful to your narrative, but they did not occur.

Which players that were signed at their respective contracts would you have signed? If you're more interested in just being angry than looking at the options, I understand.

Angry? Where did you get that from? It's just a game.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, this is as bad as I've seen it. I was born in '79 so I don't really remember watching the Bills until the 1986 season (4-12), even if I attended a game or two before that. 2001 was dreadful, but I remember at least feeling that there was some hope heading into that season. The start of the Chan era was pretty dismal from a fan excitement standpoint as well, but that team ended up being one of my favorite non-playoff teams in Bills history.

This year we've got a first time unproven head coach, with limited college experience and even less college success. We've lost our best offensive lineman and our only proven quarterback, our GM has been publicly outed as a boob, and it's unlikely that we are going to make any meaningful moves in free agency. I don't have much faith in Nix/Whaley to get things right in the draft based on their past misses, so I'm not even really excited about the prospect of bringing in some immediate contributors via the draft. Also, our biggest position of need is just about the weakest position in this year's draft.

I think we'll be hard pressed to win more than three games this season and I see 1-5 or 0-6 in the division as a likelihood.

I'm not sure about your counting. Personally, I count Barnett, Wilson and Fitz as starters, and Kelsay as a key backup, all gone, with no one but Manny Lawson to replace them, granted it's early in FA. If they can bring in another LB z(Burnett orDansby or Connor Barwin, please), a TE (I hope Keller doesn't sign with Miami), Brandon Moore and a decent WR, they may salvage something, but I highly doubt much, if any, of the foregoing will come to pass. It kind of looks like they're not really trying right now....

Really only counting Levitre. The others have arguably already been replaced. Searcy for Wilson. Lawson for Barnett. And Jackson for FItz.

Really only counting Levitre. The others have arguably already been replaced. Searcy for Wilson. Lawson for Barnett. And Jackson for FItz.

Problem is, none of those other folks (Searcy, Jackson, for ex.) were able last year to beat out the guys who they've replaced, so the team IS worse at those spots at least....

Problem is, none of those other folks (Searcy, Jackson, for ex.) were able last year to beat out the guys who they've replaced, so the team IS worse at those spots at least....

Assuming that coach evaluations were 100% correct, and fit to new schemes holds the same ranking, no?

Jackson was a late trade with an established starter with close ties to the coach

Searcy was stealing some snaps as the season went on too

So in short, I think you oversimplified it by a good bit

Assuming that coach evaluations were 100% correct, and fit to new schemes holds the same ranking, no?

Jackson was a late trade with an established starter with close ties to the coach

Searcy was stealing some snaps as the season went on too

So in short, I think you oversimplified it by a good bit

The coaches were idiots, but they also knew what they were doing when it fits my viewpoint!!!

Honestly, this is as bad as I've seen it. I was born in '79 so I don't really remember watching the Bills until the 1986 season (4-12), even if I attended a game or two before that. 2001 was dreadful, but I remember at least feeling that there was some hope heading into that season. The start of the Chan era was pretty dismal from a fan excitement standpoint as well, but that team ended up being one of my favorite non-playoff teams in Bills history.

This year we've got a first time unproven head coach, with limited college experience and even less college success. We've lost our best offensive lineman and our only proven quarterback, our GM has been publicly outed as a boob, and it's unlikely that we are going to make any meaningful moves in free agency. I don't have much faith in Nix/Whaley to get things right in the draft based on their past misses, so I'm not even really excited about the prospect of bringing in some immediate contributors via the draft. Also, our biggest position of need is just about the weakest position in this year's draft.

I think we'll be hard pressed to win more than three games this season and I see 1-5 or 0-6 in the division as a likelihood.

I disagree with just about everything you said. Marrone did have success in college. Syracuse was a clown show and he improved the team to be back to back bowl winners. Wood is our best offensive lineman, not Levitre. Fitzpatrick was not proven to say the least. Nix is not a boob, he is a hick. Big difference there. We will be making meaningful moves in FA... Manny Lawson was quite meaningful (as you will see). What misses in the draft are you referring to? Spiller? Byrd? Wood? Levitre? Gillmore? The only one I can see as a complete miss is Maybin, but the rest of that year's draft makes up for it. QB was weaker in last year's draft (minus Luck and RG3, which would have never made it to pick #8 anyways). I think there are a few QBs I would be happy with the Bills selecting this year. Geno Smith is becoming more and more likely. And the Bills finishing 3-13 or worse next year... I'm willing to bet 1000 dollars that that will not happen.

Edited by BuckeyeBill

I dont mean this in a negative way. I am merely calling it as I see it. Has anyone else seen the Bills in more dire straits than right now? Ive been going to the stadium since the early 70's and suffered through some tough times like the rest of you. But I dont ever remember it being as bad as it is right now. From the Buddy nix phone call that was just pathetic from a GM. To a long term deal with a journeyman contract. At one point we had Russ Brandon as the GM not too mention we have only hit on a few draft picks in the last ten or so years. 13 years of no playoffs. People can flame away at me, franky I dont care my life will go on. As of right now, and I know its been discussed already, but we have 1 wide receiver, no tight end until some point in the season, just lost the top or close to the top guards in the NFL, Fred Jackson has wear and tear so we have no depth at RB. We have one QB on the roster that we gave a 7th round pick for then never dressed him the whole year. Oh, and this QB cant hit the broad side of a barn. On defense we have no linebackers and wow, we signed a second stringer from Cinci. Maybe our D line is a strength but the jury is still out and Dareus hasnt played like a number 3 over all. He gets a pass for his brothers death. At safety we are weak and at CB too. I am bracing for 1-15 to 3-13 at very best. Yes my friends, its that bad. So get your popcorn ready for the comedy show.

could never be worse than Kay Stevens and Hank Bullough

I disagree with just about everything you said. Marrone did have success in college. Syracuse was a clown show and he improved the team to be back to back bowl winners. Wood is our best offensive lineman, not Levitre. Fitzpatrick was not proven to say the least. Nix is not a boob, he is a hick. Big difference there. We will be making meaningful moves in FA... Manny Lawson was quite meaningful (as you will see). What misses in the draft are you referring to? Spiller? Byrd? Wood? Levitre? Gillmore? The only one I can see as a complete miss is Maybin, but the rest of that year's draft makes up for it. QB was weaker in last year's draft (minus Luck and RG3, which would have never made it to pick #8 anyways). I think there are a few QBs I would be happy with the Bills selecting this year. Geno Smith is becoming more and more likely. And the Bills finishing 3-13 or worse next year... I'm willing to bet 1000 dollars that that will not happen.

While I agree with the beginning of your post......I disagree that QBs were weaker last year. Wilson alone makes them better. No one in this years class will be as good as Russell Wilson. Tannehill, cousins and even Foles (who I'm not a fan of) might be better than all the guys in this draft. I think geno has a decent shot at becoming a good QB. Barkley as well, but his shoulder injury is scary. Ej manual has some serious talent, but really wasn't very good in college (IMO). Maybe it was his coaches play calling? Idk, but he wasn't great. The rest of these guys are scrubs in my book. I think each has about a 5-15% chance to become good QBs. I like what I've seen from Tannehill and cousins to this point. Hard to say how they pan out, but if give them better than a 5-15% chance.

I also don't think it's more and more likely that the geno falls to us. I actually think there's close to no chance. If I'm the GM of jax, Oakland, Philly, Cleveland and Arizona, I'd take geno. They all have crappy QBs, except Philly (and Vick is a 1 year deal, meanwhile geno fits chips system and can throw much better than any qb he's ever had). Jacksonville, Oakland and Cleveland have invested recent 1st picks on QBs, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that gabbert and Weedon suck. Carson Palmer or Terrell Pryor??? Lol what a joke. Arizona.....well if they pass on him, they should be removed from the nfl. And then there are the teams locking behind us. Like the jets. They're gonna get picks for revis and are in position to trade up ahead of us and grab the best QB in the draft ahead of their division rivals. If we want geno, we're gonna have to trade up for him. I reaaaaallly hope I'm wrong and he falls to us at 8. It just doesn't make sense to me how he could. It's a QB league and there are lots of teams with crappy QBs.

I do believe they have a plan. They can't tell anyone their plan....other than the Buddy Nix taped phone call......if they told everyone their plan, there would be serious ramifications. You can't tell people that your plan is to lose big in 2013. That goes against everything sports are supposed to be about but it does happen. They would not sell any more tickets in 2013 if they said "Plan is to be the worst team in the NFL" They really have to bottom out. They need a franchise QB. Those guys are in college until 2014. The plan does not include Buddy Nix making decisions. Look at the 2014 QB Draft Class. Just look at it. Seriously look at it. It's 1,000x better than 2013. If they draft a QB in the 2013 draft in the first three rounds than I would have to believe that they really are clueless. Do not listen to the fans. Do not listen to Buddy Nix. Do not try and win this year. We'll see what happens. What they should do is get a few scraps in UFA as nothing more than stopgaps and roster fillers, trade the 8th this year and get two 1st round picks and an extra second. Fill needs in this draft. LB's, WR's, TE, DB, OL. Stay as far under the cap as allowed. Let TJax start and play every game. Evaluate all throughout 2013 who stays and who goes moving forward (i.e. all of Buddy's previous draft picks). Resign Wood. Get Spiller locked up long term. Draft the franchise QB with one of the top few picks in the 2014 draft. By 2015 they will be back in the playoffs.

The problem with this scenario, which does feel at least slightly plausible, is that the gm, the team president, and especially the coach get judged on win loss records. Do you think the fact that there's a 3-13 record on Gregg Williams' resume hurt him later? Or a 1-15 record for mike reilly (a respected coach),who started ryan leaf in 2000? Regardless of whether you're actually planning a bottoming out or not, the terrible first year record stays with you and factors into how you are judged down the road. After all, we know that Nix's record as a GM is 16-32, not 12-20. Year one of his reign too was also supposed to be a bottoming out, and he said loudly and publicly that the talent cupboard was bare when he took charge. No one is mentioning that now in their assessments of him.

Edited by dave mcbride

While I agree with the beginning of your post......I disagree that QBs were weaker last year. Wilson alone makes them better. No one in this years class will be as good as Russell Wilson. Tannehill, cousins and even Foles (who I'm not a fan of) might be better than all the guys in this draft. I think geno has a decent shot at becoming a good QB. Barkley as well, but his shoulder injury is scary. Ej manual has some serious talent, but really wasn't very good in college (IMO). Maybe it was his coaches play calling? Idk, but he wasn't great. The rest of these guys are scrubs in my book. I think each has about a 5-15% chance to become good QBs. I like what I've seen from Tannehill and cousins to this point. Hard to say how they pan out, but if give them better than a 5-15% chance.

I also don't think it's more and more likely that the geno falls to us. I actually think there's close to no chance. If I'm the GM of jax, Oakland, Philly, Cleveland and Arizona, I'd take geno. They all have crappy QBs, except Philly (and Vick is a 1 year deal, meanwhile geno fits chips system and can throw much better than any qb he's ever had). Jacksonville, Oakland and Cleveland have invested recent 1st picks on QBs, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that gabbert and Weedon suck. Carson Palmer or Terrell Pryor??? Lol what a joke. Arizona.....well if they pass on him, they should be removed from the nfl. And then there are the teams locking behind us. Like the jets. They're gonna get picks for revis and are in position to trade up ahead of us and grab the best QB in the draft ahead of their division rivals. If we want geno, we're gonna have to trade up for him. I reaaaaallly hope I'm wrong and he falls to us at 8. It just doesn't make sense to me how he could. It's a QB league and there are lots of teams with crappy QBs.

So if we add rg3 and luck does that put you on record as this years best qb would've been last years 7th best?

This team will be horrifically bad this year. I'm still waiting for Brandon to introduce his crack analytics department. The front office wouldn't be so inept if Ralph Wilson were still alive.

I agree its going to be very rough this year. Anyone who thinks otherwise may need to take a step back and evaluate as a non fan. As for Ralph, he has been pretty good thru the years at hiring inept managers of the organization. A few years back I stumbled upon the teams overall win %. It was .340 , I think that was 8 years ago or so. I am betting were are hovering around .320 but I will find out. If so, thats losing more than 2/3 of your games throughout the years.

Is there anybody that does not know that the Bills need a QB? Heck it might even be worth, say, very publicly feigning to draft, say, Geno Smith even if you do not need a QB to cause the Bills to go into complete full-on apoplexy and trade a bunch of future picks, which are almost certainly going to be very high. The Bills have saved having to pay a backup a big roster bonus, but they have put themselves in a position to be taken advantage of by others. Even if the Bills want to work a trade for a QB, the table is slanted.