Cannot believe the lack of respect for Levitre from this board

I wanted them to resign Levitre but it is a business decision. They did not make him an offer, that says alot. I will opine that the team saw no upside and knew that Levitre wanted more money than what they wanted to give. I watched Pollian talk about how a team slots salaries. He made the point that that you let good players walk because it makes budget sense. Does it hurt the team? Yes. It was a wise choice. If you met his salary demands in a finite budget, you would have to cut some where else. He is not a top 5 guard and I wish him well.

That's all well and good, but Polian also had certainty at the most important position on the field, plus Bruce Smith while he was in Buffalo. It's a lot easier to build out the rest of the team, and to "slot" the other guys when you're anchored by Hall of Famers. If you lose somebody, you can always say, "sure, but I still have Manning (or Kelly)." Not downplaying his achievements, but still. I think the Bills let go of a guy who will now get All Pro recognition. We'll see whom is proven right there.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Levitre was a good player and a big loss, but their is no way the Bills could nor should pay 7mil+ per season for a guard, they may not even pay that for a OT. So, I believe knowing that is why most on this board accept it.

+1, and after this case closed. Excellent player and great guy to root for, stronger in pass blocking than run blocking, but in one of the most fungible positions in the NFL where the drop from excellent to solid isn't as severe as other places. Financial flexibility aside, I would have loved to have him back, but I'm happy he gets his huge payday on somebody else's nickel so we can run a team where we look for elite players at more important positions, and try to plug in solid value at other positions.

Although there is a guard some people would eye at #8, I hope and expect we will pass on him and look for a solid blue collar replacement at a good price.

That's all well and good, but Polian also had certainty at the most important position on the field, plus Bruce Smith while he was in Buffalo. It's a lot easier to build out the rest of the team, and to "slot" the other guys when you're anchored by Hall of Famers. If you lose somebody, you can always say, "sure, but I still have Manning (or Kelly)." Not downplaying his achievements, but still. I think the Bills let go of a guy who will now get All Pro recognition. We'll see whom is proven right there.

I should have clarified. Polian was talking about his time in Indy. He was trying to explain to fans why your team will let a good player walk.

There has been a lot of angst about letting Levitre go--I get that, I do think he has been the most consistent lineman the Bills have had the past few years. Not spectacular, but good. I would have preferred they keep him.

However, having said that, I think the Bills starting group this season will not suffer. My prediction is that Wood will be playing guard, and Snow or Brown will be at center. Or, Wood staying at center and Brown becomes the starter at LG. I think that is still a pretty decent line.

Either way, I don't see us using the #8 pick to select an o-lineman, and the guys there now will do a credible job. In the end, I don't see a drop-off coming.

Your thoughts . . .

I definitely don't think the bills will be drafting a lineman at 8, regardless of the situation. Losing Levitre, and then Rhinehart for depth, definitely was a blow. Depending on what the Bills do in the draft, and free agency, I can see the line taking a step back. If they don't replace levitre with a quality guard, I can see them suffering.

Was originally thought of to be a strength could now easily be a weakness if the Bills aren't proactive. I think Rhinehart was a quality backup..

I agree that the Bills will not spend the #1 pick on a lineman and fully expect some sort of plan that gets them either Geno Smith or Matt Barkley in roound 1. That said, I do not see the Bills line being as good as last year. You can't lose a solid starter like Levitre and fill that hole with a back-up of lesser skill and say were even. And please, leave Wood at center -- it and LT are the two most important positions on the line. In addition losing Rinehart is a bigger lass than folks think as he was a better player than Snow or Brown as a back-up so now where do we go when we need to fill in fue to injury.

Good post CS. Although I don't see them moving Wood out of the center position (given his experience against Wilfork, Wilkerson, and Solai), I'm with you that fans are overreacting to the loss of Levitre. I still think Buddy will pick up a serviceable vet in the $2M-$3M range later in free agency to plug in at LG. IMO if they draft a lineman, it'll likely be a mid-to-late-round tackle they can swing inside to play either of the guard positions and have Snow and Brown battle it out in camp for the remaining backup spot.

Levitre is "spectacular" and will be sorely missed. once chris Johnson starts piling up yards this year Levitre will get the recognition he deserves with multiple pro bowls.

I also predict (absent taking an O-lineman with pick #8)that whoever our QB is....he will be the most sacked in the league.

There has been a lot of angst about letting Levitre go--I get that, I do think he has been the most consistent lineman the Bills have had the past few years. Not spectacular, but good. I would have preferred they keep him.

However, having said that, I think the Bills starting group this season will not suffer. My prediction is that Wood will be playing guard, and Snow or Brown will be at center. Or, Wood staying at center and Brown becomes the starter at LG. I think that is still a pretty decent line.

Either way, I don't see us using the #8 pick to select an o-lineman, and the guys there now will do a credible job. In the end, I don't see a drop-off coming.

Your thoughts . . .

You don't perhaps think we might sign one of the many, many FA OGs that are still available instead?

When we lost 2 left tackles, Peters and the guy who could decide how to spell his name (so why should I look up the spelling), everyone was going crazy. We all said Peters was the best left tackle since Ballard. (that was crappola)

Neither of those guys could stay on the field, but Levitre since day one walk on the field into position and stayed there.

We have significantly weakened our team because of Brandon's budget. We do not have a cap issue, only a Ralph spending issue.

Now not only do we need to fill our LB positions, and QB now we begin the tearing down of the Oline. We have a poor D line to start thanks to money man Mario deciding not to play with his limp wrist.

How can a team get better when it tears itself apart every year.

We should all be irate about Levitre.

I cannot find one strength for this team...except the fans.

What do you want us to do? Flip out and scream that the sky is falling because we didn't overpay a good but not great G? I think we all would have preferred to keep Levitre, but he is now one of the highest paid guards in the league (overpaid in the opinion of some). He's a GUARD. That is the least of my concerns with this team now... Let's get a QB, WR's, LB's, SS, CB, TE, RT before we worry about the easiest position to replace on the line (we picked up Urbik, our other good guard off WAIVERS).

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Levitre is "spectacular" and will be sorely missed. once chris Johnson starts piling up yards this year Levitre will get the recognition he deserves with multiple pro bowls.

I also predict (absent taking an O-lineman with pick #8)that whoever our QB is....he will be the most sacked in the league.

Right, because Johnson's never done that before, so it will have to be because of Levitre. Forget the fact that in Johnson's "down" year in 2012, he still went for over 1,200 yards.

So losing your left guard is what's going to take this OL from one that was top 5 in run blocking and top 10 in pass blocking to the worst in the NFL? Makes sense.

You don't perhaps think we might sign one of the many, many FA OGs that are still available instead?

Just stop it...we're trying to have a conniption here and you're not helping.

Your thoughts . . .

I definitely agree with your sentiments, although I hope Wood stays at center. He plays at a pro-bowl level there when healthy IMO. Thinking on the positive side, letting Levitre go may make it easier to keep Wood. I'd like to see them resign him early, since his value should be lower right now due to his injuries.

The irrational panic over losing a GUARD, when this team has MUCH bigger problems still baffles me.

Hahaha, based on what? If losing Levitre hurts us, it would be in the run game...Somehow losing a LG makes our tackles unable to pass protect anymore?!? We go from one of the least sacked teams to the most, all because we have a different LG?

Edited by Turbosrrgood

All true, but you do not build your team, or even your offensive line, around the left guard. They need to sign Byrd - an actual all pro and difference maker. They need to resign Wood before he escapes. (Center is the key to the OL) They also need to be thinking about what it will take to keep Spiller down the line. A $7.8 Million per year guard is a luxury in the salary cap era, which by the way, Polian did not have to deal with when he was GM of the Bills.

If the 2 QBs are gone, Warmack is your guy. He might be your guy anyways. As Buddy said "It's a tough year to need a QB".

It's difficult for me...I truly believe that either Warmack or Cooper could be all-pro players, but I just don't value the OG position that much...tough

All true, but you do not build your team, or even your offensive line, around the left guard. They need to sign Byrd - an actual all pro and difference maker. They need to resign Wood before he escapes. (Center is the key to the OL) They also need to be thinking about what it will take to keep Spiller down the line. A $7.8 Million per year guard is a luxury in the salary cap era, which by the way, Polian did not have to deal with when he was GM of the Bills.

Very well put, I agree with everything you said.

i see urbik trying in the left guard and on the right maybe hairston, young (he play some rg last year because injuries)brown, a FA(slauson) and a rookie, with pears-hairston at tackle.

And really hurt me the levitre thing(for me he play better than wood since his rookie year)but you have to move on

Anybody read the San Diego article on TBD front page this morning? I hope that puts to rest all of the "no contact" BS spewing around about why the Bills didn't extend Levitre last year. It's pretty clear the agent knew exactly what Levitre would be worth on the market this year, and the Bills let him know how much they were willing to spend. Simple dollars and "sense" and the Bills made the prudent decision.

No fault on either party that Levitre is no longer a Bill.