Bills sign Manny Lawson

BRAWNDO

I would tend to agree with you... However, I would assume he would be playing the traditional pass rushing OLB as opposed to Bradham, and he doesn't have much of a history of getting after the QB.

I believe he was actually drafted with the hope that he could develop into a pass rusher. He had double digit sacks his senior year and about 20 for his college career along with very freakish measurables.

As a pro he has 18 sacks in 6 years although my impression from having watched him play a bit is that he hasn't been used much as a pass rusher.

I've seen manny Lawson as an underachiever his whole career, but I'm not mad at all by this pick up.

Lawson was picked 22nd overall so I suppose you can say he hasn't lived up to his draft position. I hate to use the word underachiever as I usually reserve that for players who don't give a full effort.

I think Lawson has a pretty good reputation as far as effort and attitude.

Seems like a good all-around football player who can do everything pretty well and is scheme diverse.

There are still a lot of good defensive players left in FA including linebackers and cornerbacks.

I'm hoping we can get at least one more starter.

Since no one's done this yet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manny_Lawson

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good signing for us. Lawson is a solid NFL player, and we certainly do not have enuf of these. But the problem is that we have so many needs to fill. And by the looks of it, we are certainly not being aggressive enuf with our pursuit of top level talent. We have holes at pretty much every position on the team save RB. I would hope that we go after a WR, TE, CB, S and G over the next few days.

As for all of you so concerned about our QB situation. I am ecstatic that we got rid of Fitzpatrick. I seriously think he was a cancer to the team. That kind of cancer is called a "loser". A lot of you thought he was a nice guy, and good to have in the locker room. Are you kidding? Who cares if he is a nice guy? He sucked. And everyone in that Bills locker room knew that except for Chan. We will draft at least one if not two QB's who will hopefully turn into studs. And combined w TJack we will hopefully have an effective QB situation going forward. Not sure why everyone thinks Jackson is so bad. He has way more athleticsm than Fitzpatrick. And a much better arm. Give him some weapons and we may all be surprised.

And lets not discount the new coaching staff. I think they will be light years ahead of the past regime.

But I will admit I get as tense as the rest of you when I see other teams signing good free agents, and the Bills doing almost nothing.

I think the Bills are going to let the market cool down and take their shots at filling the other gaping holes. They would have to assume that the difference in talent level between all the hyped up players making the big bucks on day One and the ones sitting under the radar is probably not that big and they would rather wait to have the market cool down and negotiate with these players in their (Bills) terms rather than the players.

Many of the other teams are doing nothing too...The Steelers who released many players like us have not been making any splash. Teams do not win the SB by making a splash on day 1 of FA...Just ask the 2011 and 2012 Eagles teams.

I think the Bills are going to let the market cool down and take their shots at filling the other gaping holes. They would have to assume that the difference in talent level between all the hyped up players making the big bucks on day One and the ones sitting under the radar is probably not that big and they would rather wait to have the market cool down and negotiate with these players in their (Bills) terms rather than the players.

Many of the other teams are doing nothing too...The Steelers who released many players like us have not been making any splash. Teams do not win the SB by making a splash on day 1 of FA...Just ask the 2011 and 2012 Eagles teams.

Check with Denver, SF and Seattle. Denver has upgraded significantly. Seattle might be the most talented team in the nfl. The niners, while only signing Dorsey so far, has visited with a bunch of free agents and will make some great moves.

But I agree that there are still lots of talented players available that can help us. The longer we wait, we'll miss out on the upper tier players, but we could get some very solid players for cheap if we wait a little bit. Or we could get none because they would rather sign for cheap with a contender. It'll be interesting to see what we do.

Edited by NewEra

This is what I expected after reading once the coaching move was settled they were going to emply money ball mentality. They don't hve enough money to buy the next Super Mario, and they know they have too many holes. So they come up with a free agency board for role players that fills holes, and manage their cap well given the Fitz bumbling contract. They rely on a cheap QB from the draft and spend wisely on guys like Manny Lawson. They are realying on a solid draft this year to be competitive.

Check with Denver, SF and Seattle. Denver has upgraded significantly. Seattle might be the most talented team in the nfl. The niners, while only signing Dorsey so far, has visited with a bunch of free agents and will make some great moves.

But I agree that there are still lots of talented players available that can help us. The longer we wait, we'll miss out on the upper tier players, but we could get some very solid players for cheap if we wait a little bit. Or we could get none because they would rather sign for cheap with a contender. It'll be interesting to see what we do.

Right now if a guy is worth 10M, he will ask the Bills to give him 12M to sign with them.

In a few days, if the guy's market worth is 5M, the Bills can still get him by paying 6M.

I believe he was actually drafted with the hope that he could develop into a pass rusher. He had double digit sacks his senior year and about 20 for his college career along with very freakish measurables.

As a pro he has 18 sacks in 6 years although my impression from having watched him play a bit is that he hasn't been used much as a pass rusher.

Lawson was picked 22nd overall so I suppose you can say he hasn't lived up to his draft position. I hate to use the word underachiever as I usually reserve that for players who don't give a full effort.

I think Lawson has a pretty good reputation as far as effort and attitude.

Seems like a good all-around football player who can do everything pretty well and is scheme diverse.

There are still a lot of good defensive players left in FA including linebackers and cornerbacks.

I'm hoping we can get at least one more starter.

Since no one's done this yet:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Manny_Lawson

The guy I immediately thought of was Calvin Pace, another underproducing but athletic first rounder who became a very good player once he joined the Jets. Granted, he didn't play for Pettine in yr 1 (2008), but every year after he did: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PaceCa20.htm .

The guy I immediately thought of was Calvin Pace, another underproducing but athletic first rounder who became a very good player once he joined the Jets. Granted, he didn't play for Pettine in yr 1 (2008), but every year after he did: http://www.pro-footb.../P/PaceCa20.htm .

I believe Bulldog...or that D-bag he hosts with that has no interest in football or hockey but is still somehow employed by the only sports radio station in a football and hockey only town....mentioned Pace yesterday in the same respect.

Edited by JM57

Basically, and if you do come here, it was solely based on money.

Well, look at the current state of the franchise. That's a easy conclusion to come to.

Reasons that come to mind to sign with the Bills ...

Money

No one else will give you a job

You figure you can start on this team and hope to look so good during the season you get the big contract either from the Bills or somewhere else

The franchise is a mess. Maybe Marrone can turn that around in a few years. But right now it is a mess.

EDIT: Fourth reason ... You believe that Marrone is going to turn the franchise around in a very short period of time.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The attached linked is from a WGR radio interview with Mike Pettine. He talked about the Lawson signing and how he will be used. After listening to him you come away noting that he and his staff have a much more sophisticated view in managing a defense than the prior staff did.

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/72050511/3-14-bills-dc-mike-pettine-reviews-manny-lawson-bills-lingering-defensive-needs.htm

The attached linked is from a WGR radio interview with Mike Pettine. He talked about the Lawson signing and how he will be used. After listening to him you come away noting that he and his staff have a much more sophisticated view in managing a defense than the prior staff did.

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/72050511/3-14-bills-dc-mike-pettine-reviews-manny-lawson-bills-lingering-defensive-needs.htm

I have a more sophisticated view of managing a defense than the prior staff did.

That being said, I love Pettine and will hate to see him leave next year as a Head Coach for another team.

I have a more sophisticated view of managing a defense than the prior staff did.

That being said, I love Pettine and will hate to see him leave next year as a Head Coach for another team.

Christ, man, don't say that. We need some good luck around here. At least let him stay 2-3 years and groom a replacement.

That would mean the Bills were probably successful, so in one respect that would not be bad