Bills to let David Nelson walk?

Coach Tuesday

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Did not see this one coming...Have to say I'm disappointed...He won't be a Free Agent long... B-)

I'd LOVE to hear the explanation of why Kelsay and Fitz are still on this Roster, but Nelson is not... <_<

Edited by KOKBILLS

Ok so we have Stevie, TJ Graham, and... Brad Smith? Did we just get one of the worst WR corps in the league?? Why make holes on a roster already with many of them. What was tender, even? Probably have been kept for 1.4 or 1.8 mil.

I try to keep an open mind, but I really don't like this one. If we are going with a younger QB than a TE is supposidly their best friend, and Nelson gets open in the short and mid range like a TE and blocks relatively well.

And now I can see him going to NE potentially since Belichek wanted him as an UDFA when he came out. Bad move all around.

I'd LOVE to hear the explanation of why Kelsay and Fitz are still on this Roster, but Nelson is not... <_<

Because their contracts have not expired yet.

The choice to cut somebody off the roster......and the choice to re-sign somebody onto the roster are two totally different animals.

I will be upset if they let Nelson walk. Solid contributor.

This really make zero sense to me...The only possible explanation would be if the knee was no responding at all...Otherwise how do you not tender this Kid? He's a great Kid...He's been productive for his position as the #3 WR...He's REAL tall for a WR...And coming off the ACL, it's only going to take the minimum tender to retain him...This is a REAL head-scratcher to me... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Because their contracts have not expired yet.

The choice to cut somebody off the roster......and the choice to re-sign somebody onto the roster are two totally different animals.

True enough...Put that aside for a second...I thought the general idea is to improve the Roster...Kelsay and Fitz suck at their positions...Nelson is REAL good at his...WTF? B-)

So before this nelson not being back news....we didnt have a clear cut #1 true Wr...(even though I love me some stevie j and what he brings to the offense) we now lost our #3 Wr.....hmmmmmm ok now im scared...hopefully the new staff have a few goodies in mind for the offense...FA WR pick up and a WR in the draft?

Is it that much of a loss? Seriously? A tall, unexplosive, already slow WR coming off an ACL injury. He was decent at times, but we're not giving up a key member of our offense. Wish you the best, later.

Ok so we have Stevie, TJ Graham, and... Brad Smith? Did we just get one of the worst WR corps in the league?? Why make holes on a roster already with many of them. What was tender, even? Probably have been kept for 1.4 or 1.8 mil.

I try to keep an open mind, but I really don't like this one. If we are going with a younger QB than a TE is supposidly their best friend, and Nelson gets open in the short and mid range like a TE and blocks relatively well.

And now I can see him going to NE potentially since Belichek wanted him as an UDFA when he came out. Bad move all around.

I don't know could David Nelson start on a playoff team? Are there Rookies out there that can easily make Nelson and TJ expendable?

As suspect I am of the new regime.

Maybe Marrone and staff are truly a great (at least good) judge of NFL talent. In that case expect at least the first year to be typical Bills football. Meaning a lot of losses. But maybe a pre-cursor to finally some competent friggin NFL talent evaluation. And, a team that could win even their first wild card game, should it ever get that far.

Edited by Best Player Available

Is it that much of a loss? Seriously? A tall, unexplosive, already slow WR coming off an ACL injury. He was decent at times, but we're not giving up a key member of our offense. Wish you the best, later.

Seriously? No offense but...The guy got open as well as anybody on this team including Stevie...He's a huge target for a WR...He PRODUCES...How many current Bills players, not just WR's, can you say that about?

Like I said previously if the knee is not healing right I could see it...Otherwise this is just stupid...He would only require the minimum tender so the risk is next to nothing...He's a REAL good kid...

He will contribute elsewhere if healthy...He's just a good player...He may not have the measureables, and that's why he went undrafted...But he's a good player coming from a team with very few good players...Just makes no sense to me at all... B-)

Wow! Did not see this one coming...Have to say I'm disappointed...He won't be a Free Agent long... B-)

He will end up in New England. Billy B thinks very highly of Nelson.

Tendering a player guarantees him a certain salary. Nelson is coming off a year in which he played 0 plays. This does not necessarily mean that they won't try to re-sign Nelson. It may only mean that they think they can sign him for less than the tender would cost them.

I'll go out on a limb and predict, if healthy, Nelson gets twice as much on the open market than what the Bills would have paid him with the min tender ... B-)

True enough...Put that aside for a second...I thought the general idea is to improve the Roster...Kelsay and Fitz suck at their positions...Nelson is REAL good at his...WTF? B-)

As I can't personally comment on his abilities(having missed most of the 2011 season).....I have to assume that if he is not re-signed after an ACL injury that he perhaps is not as good as you are thinking. Combined with his being undrafted etc....as well as playing on the Bills who had zero WRs outside of SJ.......at this point I'm putting my trust with the new coaches etc.

If he isn't re-signed.....and then is picked up by another team and becomes a solid starter......you have my permission to vent your spleen to great volume & repetition. :D

As I can't personally comment on his abilities(having missed most of the 2011 season).....I have to assume that if he is not re-signed after an ACL injury that he perhaps is not as good as you are thinking. Combined with his being undrafted etc....as well as playing on the Bills who had zero WRs outside of SJ.......at this point I'm putting my trust with the new coaches etc.

If he isn't re-signed.....and then is picked up by another team and becomes a solid starter......you have my permission to vent your spleen to great volume & repetition. :D

Fair enough... :nana:

Seriously? No offense but...The guy got open as well as anybody on this team including Stevie...He's a huge target for a WR...He PRODUCES...How many current Bills players, not just WR's, can you say that about?

Like I said previously if the knee is not healing right I could see it...Otherwise this is just stupid...He would only require the minimum tender so the risk is next to nothing...He's a REAL good kid...

He will contribute elsewhere if healthy...He's just a good player...He may not have the measureables, and that's why he went undrafted...But he's a good player coming from a team with very few good players...Just makes no sense to me at all... B-)

It's not that big of a loss no matter how anyone tries to spin it. He likely wouldn't see the field much on any of the better teams in the NFL. Like I said, he was all that we had. Better than Jones? Yes. Better than Graham right now? Probably, but still not a "major blow" to our overall talent level on offense.

nelson is a non factor, so this is a non-event

Pettine knows from his experience with the Jets, they didnt have to do anything special to account for him in their scheme

But Pettine does not have to account for Nelson any more...And plenty of other teams had difficulty doing so...

I'm not trying to make Nelson out to be Megatron whatsoever...But that's the whole point...He a good kid who produced as a LOW salary, role player...And (I'm assuming) it would have only required a min. tender to retain him for a year...You need those guys too...Right? B-)

If the bills draft either Robert woods or james hunter this sadness in my heart will go away...(sarcasm) btw would prefer woods over nelson and hunter any day out the week...Robert woods has good speed and is a excellent route runner....plus mainly catches the football with his hands and not the body a very good sign

Edited by Hotpockets28

It's not that big of a loss no matter how anyone tries to spin it. He likely wouldn't see the field much on any of the better teams in the NFL. Like I said, he was all that we had. Better than Jones? Yes. Better than Graham right now? Probably, but still not a "major blow" to our overall talent level on offense.

If this is true, it's obvious The Bills Football department agrees with you...

I'm not sure if that should give you much confidence based on Nix record as GM... ;)

I don't see the upside of letting Nelson walk...You need guys like him in the NFL...On the bottom in pay, but consistently making plays, being positive examples to young players, and contributing with 1st Downs... B-)

Cut Nelson? Seems to me the Bills want to get better.

I can see Marrone evaluating game footage of Nelson from the Dallas game in 2011 and observing Nelson run pratically the length of the field after he scored a td and deliver the ball to his Dallas Cowboy cheerleader girlfriend.

Stuff like that sends a message to coach that's all business. No way that happens if he played for Belichick.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

Really should be keeping neslon. With chandler's condition up in the air, they have who to catch the ball? Stevie, TJ, and Brad Smith? Even if you add a rookie WR in there, that is spelling trouble.

Personally, if it were me, I would retain nelson, cut Smith, sign a solid vet, draft a good prospect, and draft another in the later rounds.

He is mediocre. But in Buffalo, mediocre is good. If nothing else, I like the fact that Buffalo is shedding players whom they feel are not good enough, because in years past....anyone was good enough.

I'll tell you what, this Tavon Austin kid has my attention. Combination of Percy Harvin and Wes Welker? In a West Coast Offense? Give me that all day.

Yup I see exactly what the bills are planning to do....there gonna draft QB barkley at #8 to replace fitz,then TE tyler eifert at #41 to replace Scott chandler or atleast hold the spot down until he comes back..then with the #71 pick draft Darick rogers Wr...last but not least draft WR cobi hamilton in the fourth....a all offense draft...hmmmmmm oh well who knows what they have in mind

Edited by Hotpockets28