Great article on Bills Cap Situation

Alphadawg7

Not really.....with the possibility of a firm "no".

After the Wilson/Barnett cuts we have 17.9M in cap room......so not really.

We also have the option to use an additional 9.8M of carry over cap from last year......totaling 27.7M.....so no.

Cutting Kelsay/McGee/Smith will add another 9.2M.....totaling 36.9M. Lots of cap room......particularly compared to most teams.

So in short, this "great article" isn't so great?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salary cap structure is complicated by bonuses and simply cutting guys may not be cost effective. I agree McGee is on thin ice due to bad knees. Kelsay may be cut to give them more cap space. With any new coaching regime, guys who can contribute get cut and with cap pressures that is a given.

http://www.buffalone...1/beerball-1004

After reading this one would think that Kelsey is a no brainer cut coming. I have no idea if Fitz will restructure, but definitely see why its got to be a priority.

I would think the highest risk guys to get are:

Kelsey - obviously

McGee - We have young, cheaper, healthier DB talent at way less money.

Brad Smith - Makes a lot for doing a whole lot

Couple of guys with some risk to get cut:

Fred Jackson - I love Fred, but he is up there and CJ is certainly going to be featured and hes taking up sizeable cap space, so I would not be sure he is safe.

Mark Anderson - Not really sure what to think of him here, but he definitely didn't produce at the level as expected, but he takes up a decent amount of cap space. I think he will be safe, especially with Pettine on board here to revamp the D and better utilize the talent on this D.

Hard to decide where to put Fitz because he hurts the cap whether if he is cut or stays by over $10 million. I am guessing he still gets cut if he doesn't restructure so they can at least save the roster bonus.

Ultimately, I would love to see us cut Kelsey, Smith, and McGee and keep Anderson And Freddie. Then cut Fitz, just tear the band aid off and start fresh at QB.

Kelsay, Smith and McGee gone!!!! I can't believe McGee still has a job hes old and always hurt. Unless Fitz will restructre his deal, he needs to be cut. Andersen will have to stay, but I think we will see a different Andersen under Pettine. And this kills me but I have to cut Fred Jackson. he has lost a step or two and he has fumbled last year in crutial spots. I agree with another Bill Backer LETS START FRESH!!!!!

Short with regards to free agency. Byrd's tag will be $6.8, 2013 drafts will be $5.5, Nelson's tender will be $1.3. Then we have to think about Levitre and free agency. We don't have a lot left.

McGee and Kelsay should be cut for sure. Even if you restructure Fitz contract they still can't afford to carry a lot of dead weight.

Fred was playing with a brace on his feakin leg and you guys are seriously dissing him. This team is most productive with both CJ and Fred playing, period. What is the matter with you people. If you want to cut someone, cut the dead weight, not your star players.

So then we are not "short" on cap space like the article suggests right?

CBF

The article wants to allocate about 15M of that 20M to signing two top flight FA + Rookies + Byrd. And he believes the Bills don't have official cap space for that unless they chop further.

Not really.....with the possibility of a firm "no".

After the Wilson/Barnett cuts we have 17.9M in cap room......so not really.

We also have the option to use an additional 9.8M of carry over cap from last year......totaling 27.7M.....so no.

Cutting Kelsay/McGee/Smith will add another 9.2M.....totaling 36.9M. Lots of cap room......particularly compared to most teams.

As you pointed out, the Bills have plenty of cap space. Not really sure why Mark Gaughan chose to put the spin on this article that he did.

Kelsay, Smith and McGee gone!!!! I can't believe McGee still has a job hes old and always hurt. Unless Fitz will restructre his deal, he needs to be cut. Andersen will have to stay, but I think we will see a different Andersen under Pettine. And this kills me but I have to cut Fred Jackson. he has lost a step or two and he has fumbled last year in crutial spots. I agree with another Bill Backer LETS START FRESH!!!!!

We don't want Fitz to restructure. He simply needs to take a pay cut. Restructuring and giving his due 10M for this year as a bonus simply spreads the problem to the next few cap years. Fitz simply needs to take a big pay cut like 5M to stay with the team and compete for the starting job.

Fred stays. he knows he is a bcakup, but we know he is a very good back up +. BB excepted :censored:

Bills Can get a couple players to restructure. We should have plenty o money in comparison.

The article was bit weak.

We had about 20 before Wilson Barnett move. Smart money move possibly, possibly.

We can keep Byrd and Andy and grab some FA score. Like Bowe for example or two linebackers or whatever.

Bills are fine but need to act as reasonable adults on a budget.

I would prefer no big splashes and i think we all regret the move by Nix to quell the upset fan base with Mario coming on. Trying to squash the " Ralph is Cheap persona ".

Financial mistake. i dont care how good he is or coulda woulda will be. That contract screwed so many little guys.

little guys are important to a team. excepting the QB

What's sad is that the Bills spent big money last year and got worse on the field. Fitz needs to go and Kelsay will be cut.

I think that big spending will pay off this year. I really feel like we had way more talent on D than we showed and our staff just bumbled it. Pettine will make Mario dominant I believe and will utilize Anderson better too. More pressure up front and the DB's jobs will be easier too...lets not forget Brooks and Gilmore also have a year of experience under their belt and the new DB coach is the same guy whos been working with Revis and Cro, so I think the money will pay off better this year just on that alone.

I think that big spending will pay off this year. I really feel like we had way more talent on D than we showed and our staff just bumbled it. Pettine will make Mario dominant I believe and will utilize Anderson better too. More pressure up front and the DB's jobs will be easier too...lets not forget Brooks and Gilmore also have a year of experience under their belt and the new DB coach is the same guy whos been working with Revis and Cro, so I think the money will pay off better this year just on that alone.

I largely agree.

While I was more thrilled with the Bills handing out big contracts than with the players they gave them to, I still think that Wanny was a complete and utter disaster and that we'll see decent ROIs with Mario and Anderson this year.

I largely agree.

While I was more thrilled with the Bills handing out big contracts than with the players they gave them to, I still think that Wanny was a complete and utter disaster and that we'll see decent ROIs with Mario and Anderson this year.

Yeah, Wanny for me engineered one of the worst defensive coaching performances I have ever seen and I would argue than he was worse than the guy before because he had more talent to work with and still bumbled it. Never seen a guy so adverse to blitzing and also so bad at adjusting in game.

Kelsay and Mcgee need to go. I wouldn't be upset to see Brad Smith and Anderson go as well. Fitz better take a huge pay cut or buh bye to him as well. Fred Jackson? No way! we need him. He hasn't been very healthy as of late but seriously? we do need some veterans left on this team when all is said and done. Fred should be used in short yardage and goal line situations, as well as blocking. I really think that Fred has a lot to do with how well CJ has come along.(No! i do not mean by getting hurt and giving CJ more playing time)

I keep checking my phone waiting for the text saying the Bills have Cut Chris Kelsey. I can't for the life of me, figure out why he hasn't been cut. 5mill in cap space >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a bum

According to this trusted site....

http://nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2013.php

....it's only 4.175mill.......still enough to easily justify cutting him IMO.

As you pointed out, the Bills have plenty of cap space. Not really sure why Mark Gaughan chose to put the spin on this article that he did.

Not sure why Gaughan is being criticized here. His numbers are accurate. He says "projected cap," which is inclusive of the 9.8 million rollover. The Bills spending as of right now is $116 million, which is ~$14 million under the cap. That's what he says in the piece. $116 million minus $6.5 million (Barnett and Wilson) plus the rookie pool plus Byrd plus Nelson gets you to about $121-122 million. That leaves about $7-8 million to spend (that is, $7-8 million less than ~$130 million). Pretty simple actually.

Edited by dave mcbride

Not sure why Gaughan is being criticized here. His numbers are accurate. He says "projected cap," which is inclusive of the 9.8 million rollover. The Bills spending as of right now is $116 million, which is ~$14 million under the cap. That's what he says in the piece. $116 million minus $6.5 million (Barnett and Wilson) plus the rookie pool plus Byrd plus Nelson gets you to about $121-122 million. That leaves about $7-8 million to spend (that is, $7-8 million less than ~$130 million). Pretty simple actually.

Yeah, and that doesn't leave a lot of money to spend. I really can not see why Kelsey has not already been cut. He isnt as bad as he gets painted around here, but he also isn't good enough to start and makes too much money to be a rotational guy and is only going down hill. Seems like a no brainer to me. McGee too...and I like McGee a lot and appreciate his career, but he can't stay on the field anymore. I wonder if McGee could transition to safety...if so, maybe that would save him from being cut, but it still doesn't change his injury issues.

Get a capologist in and get rid of cap to cash and amortize bonuses and magically instead of 20 million under cap we would have about 25 to 30 million to play with. That is if we wanted to max our abilkity to get top nothch free agents in.

Agreed. Can you imagine how bad this organization is at evaluating players. No playoffs in 13 years, which means we do not have enough talented players, yet we have over paid for those on the team. The NFL Players Association must love us.