Great article on Bills Cap Situation

Alphadawg7

Fred stays. he knows he is a bcakup, but we know he is a very good back up +. BB excepted :censored:

Bills Can get a couple players to restructure. We should have plenty o money in comparison.

The article was bit weak.

We had about 20 before Wilson Barnett move. Smart money move possibly, possibly.

We can keep Byrd and Andy and grab some FA score. Like Bowe for example or two linebackers or whatever.

Bills are fine but need to act as reasonable adults on a budget.

I would prefer no big splashes and i think we all regret the move by Nix to quell the upset fan base with Mario coming on. Trying to squash the " Ralph is Cheap persona ".

Financial mistake. i dont care how good he is or coulda woulda will be. That contract screwed so many little guys.

little guys are important to a team. excepting the QB

3.7 million is a lot of cash for a back up

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Bills had over $20 MIl in cap space.

Guess I was wrong

CBF

They do. The point of the article is to subtract what the Bills will need, of that cap space, to sign their draft class and franchise Byrd (if they take that route).

After taking those needs into account, the Bills will have about $7.3 million, which is enough for 1 free agent, maybe Andy Levitre, maybe someone else.

It didn't explain if we cut Kelsay do we still take a cap hit like we would with Fitz?

Did you read the article? I thought it did a good job explaining in general

Why does everyone say we need to cut Fred? So sick of hearing this garbage. Fred is still an overall better back than Spiller. Hate to say it but in terms of running, experience, physicality, receiving, and pass blocking, he's better. Just a year ago, Fred was leading the league or 2nd in the league in yds from scrimmage in the NFL. Give me a break. We need Fred.

That will have been 2 years ago by the time they start playing. Fred's 32 now. Old backs have two consecutive season-ending injuries. If he gets a heavy load this year it will probably be 3. He's a great guy, teammate, and player, but he's finished as a starter.

If we cut Fred Jackson he will be a Patriot before the end of that day. He does absolutely everything a RB can do. Spiller should be the showpiece but you can do a lot worse for a #2 RB than Fred. I'm hoping we see lots of plays with both backs on the field - why they couldn't figure out how to have both guys on the field at the same time boggles my mind, particularly with the dearth of WRs we've had.

As an old timer if someone ever asked me if I would want Rob Riddick back on this team right now in his prime as a back-up RB...I would dive at that chance.

As an old timer if someone ever asked me if I would want Kenny Davis back on this team right now in his prime as a back-up RB...I would dive at the chance.

As a hopefully future older-timerer (yes, I said "timerer") if someone asked me 10 years from now if I would want Fred Jackson back on the 2023 Bills in his prime as a back-up RB...well, you get my drift.

The thing is I have Fred Jackson RIGHT NOW on this team. Maybe he doesn't do much past 2013 and he is getting a good amount of dough. However, I still want him and he is still worth it for at least this year.

After that, we shall see.

3.7 million is a lot of cash for a back up

It is.

I used the wrong description totally.

Tashard Choice is a backup.

Fred Jackson is an asset,

on the field and in the locker room.

Still.

But if he has a similar year as last year with injuries the story changes of course.

Keep Fred, not as goal line grinder but a changeup to keep the defenses on their toes. He still has that for sure

Not sure why Gaughan is being criticized here. His numbers are accurate. He says "projected cap," which is inclusive of the 9.8 million rollover. The Bills spending as of right now is $116 million, which is ~$14 million under the cap. That's what he says in the piece. $116 million minus $6.5 million (Barnett and Wilson) plus the rookie pool plus Byrd plus Nelson gets you to about $121-122 million. That leaves about $7-8 million to spend (that is, $7-8 million less than ~$130 million). Pretty simple actually.

I am critical because it's presented like there is only one approach to salary cap management. "Cash to the capppp!" That's not the case. The Bills really can do A LOT in free agency if they want to. Their hands are only limited by a self imposed accounting standard.

On top of that, it seems that Mark is using the money spent in previous years as a justification. It is not. Overpaying mediocre personnel does not show the folly of spending money, it simply reflects poor talent evaluation on the part of management. I am not advocating spending $200M in bonuses to stock the team with free agents, but the spin on this article is completely unnecessary, IMO. I really would expect a story like this from Chris Brown, but not Mark Gaughan.

If we cut Fred Jackson he will be a Patriot before the end of that day. He does absolutely everything a RB can do. Spiller should be the showpiece but you can do a lot worse for a #2 RB than Fred. I'm hoping we see lots of plays with both backs on the field - why they couldn't figure out how to have both guys on the field at the same time boggles my mind, particularly with the dearth of WRs we've had.

When Gailey was asked about it, he said something like: "It is hard to game plan with a heavy dose of both RBs on the field as if one of them gets injured, then the gameplan goes completely out the window". I am simply sensing that Gailey had dumbed down the game plan so low that he felt it would be hard for this team to adjust with the plays if one of the RBs went down. It is such a shame that both our offense and defense were so vanilla last year. Look at all the discussions on NFL.com. The article about Roman calling complex plays is so refreshing. I don't know when the Bills will be able to run such plays.

They do. The point of the article is to subtract what the Bills will need, of that cap space, to sign their draft class and franchise Byrd (if they take that route). After taking those needs into account, the Bills will have about $7.3 million, which is enough for 1 free agent, maybe Andy Levitre, maybe someone else. It didn't explain if we cut Kelsay do we still take a cap hit like we would with Fitz? Did you read the article? I thought it did a good job explaining in general

I love good prose and good writing as much as I love anything.

But for subjects like this, I prefer more charts and less prose.

Just enough prose to explain the charts.

Why do people think CJ cant handle a full work load? He has been pretty durable and there is no reason to think he cant. In fact, he has been WAY more durable than Freddie. CJ is a 20 touches a game guy, hes proven that. We dont need a high paid RB to take 5-7 carries a game for him. Even Choice fills in pretty nicely as a change of pace.

Dont get me wrong, I am a big fan of Freddie, but if cutting him meant we could grab other players at more needed positions and also retain our own key guys like Byrd and Levitre, then I think it would be the correct move. Fortunately, he is still a very good player and there are guys who are dead weight in comparison like Kelsey and Smith, or guys to bridle and past their prime like McGee, that should go first and that alone should give us the necessary space to pursue who ever we want, sign our rookies, and retain our key guys.

Personally, I do hope we keep Fred, but not because of Spiller allegedly not being an every down back because I think he definitely is and a top 3 back in this league too who I think will easily win the AFC rushing title next year.

C.J. really needs to do a much better job of pass blocking/blitz pick-up to be considered an every down back. Maybe Thurman can teach him.

Edited by BillsBruce