Great article on Bills Cap Situation

Alphadawg7

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130213/SPORTS/130219671/beerball-1004

After reading this one would think that Kelsey is a no brainer cut coming. I have no idea if Fitz will restructure, but definitely see why its got to be a priority.

I would think the highest risk guys to get are:

Kelsey - obviously

McGee - We have young, cheaper, healthier DB talent at way less money.

Brad Smith - Makes a lot for doing a whole lot

Couple of guys with some risk to get cut:

Fred Jackson - I love Fred, but he is up there and CJ is certainly going to be featured and hes taking up sizeable cap space, so I would not be sure he is safe.

Mark Anderson - Not really sure what to think of him here, but he definitely didn't produce at the level as expected, but he takes up a decent amount of cap space. I think he will be safe, especially with Pettine on board here to revamp the D and better utilize the talent on this D.

Hard to decide where to put Fitz because he hurts the cap whether if he is cut or stays by over $10 million. I am guessing he still gets cut if he doesn't restructure so they can at least save the roster bonus.

Ultimately, I would love to see us cut Kelsey, Smith, and McGee and keep Anderson And Freddie. Then cut Fitz, just tear the band aid off and start fresh at QB.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does everyone say we need to cut Fred? So sick of hearing this garbage. Fred is still an overall better back than Spiller. Hate to say it but in terms of running, experience, physicality, receiving, and pass blocking, he's better. Just a year ago, Fred was leading the league or 2nd in the league in yds from scrimmage in the NFL. Give me a break. We need Fred.

Mark Anderson - Not really sure what to think of him here, but he definitely didn't produce at the level as expected, but he takes up a decent amount of cap space. I think he will be safe, especially with Pettine on board here to revamp the D and better utilize the talent on this D.

Anderson stays.

Cutting him will cost 1.5M in extra cap dollars. In cap terms, better to keep him.

Kelsey - obviously

McGee - We have young, cheaper, healthier DB talent at way less money.

Brad Smith - Makes a lot for doing a whole lot

Of these three, (unlike many others here apparently) I still like Brad Smith.

He's a very talented player IMO who would benefit from playing one position.

I'd definitely have jettisoned Kelsay and McGee long ago.

Why does everyone say we need to cut Fred? So sick of hearing this garbage. Fred is still an overall better back than Spiller. Hate to say it but in terms of running, experience, physicality, receiving, and pass blocking, he's better. Just a year ago, Fred was leading the league or 2nd in the league in yds from scrimmage in the NFL. Give me a break. We need Fred.

I think you're a bit nuts.

CJ rushed for 1244 yds and rec'd 459yds in 2012. That's a combined 1700+yds in 250 touches (again, combined). That's 6.8yds a touch and 8 total TD's.

Fred hasn't played more than 10 games the last 2 years. He had MORE FUMBLES THAN TOUDCHDOWNS in 2012 and averaged 3.8yds/carry in 2012.

back in 2011 (probably his best all-around year despite only playing 10games) Fred had 934yds rushing and 442yds receiving for 1376 combined yds in 209 combined touches, averaging 6.6yds a touch and 6 TD's. 2011 may not seem that long ago, but when you're talking about players in their 30's, it is.

So CJ who is 25 and entering his prime is somehow below Fred who is 32 and well past his prime? Face it man, CJ has surpassed Freddy already. The only things that can stop CJ from reaching ELITE status are coaching and injuries. But as for being the best back on the Bills, there's no question in my mind - it's CJ.

Edited by bobobonators

Who said cut Fred? I said based on numbers he has some risk to be cut. I even said I would prefer to keep him. However, if we plan on making a big push in FA, then some players will need to be cut, and based on numbers that means certain players have some risk and it would appear Fred is one of them. Again, no one said cut him.

And like Bobo said, you are nutsby saying Fred is better than CJ...no way that is true, and I am a big fan of Freddie. CJ might even be one of the 2 or 3 best backs in the league right now.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Serious question: why is McGee still on the roster, given his recent history? I would've been less surprised if they'd cut him instead of Wilson, and I really wasn't surprised about Wilson at all.

I'd like to know why too.

I love Terrence McGee, he is the best Kick Returner the Bills have ever had and he's been a good CB as well. He made up for his lack of height with good ball skills.

Having said all of that, he has been constantly injured, is on the wrong side of 30, and has very little left to offer.

He did restructure his contract, so cutting him would not save a ton of money, but honestly I do not see how he can be an asset for the Bills anymore. It's time to let him go.

Buddy Nix needs to go, seriously. We've seeen what he can do and it's not good.

Kelsay AND Fitz are two of the three highest paid players on the team currently, if I'm reading the article correctly.

Man, so sad.

FYI: Nice post, you beat me to it.

I Agee with OP of cutting Kelsay, Smith and McGee. Get Fitz to restructure his contract and keep him as a back up. I can see this team going after Landry and/or Bell in free agency. Landry won't come cheap I suspect. Then who ever else they're targeting in FA, they'll need cap space.

Plus the obvious of resigning Byrd, Levitre, Nelson, and possibly McKelvin.

As I see it, here are what you would hope are some of their free agency plans, not necessarily in order of importance:

1 - Sign a former Jet or 2 to help Pettine with the new D.

2 - Sign Levitre

3 - Sign a free agent QB

4 - Sign a free agent WR

Now of course, it's unlikely that they'll be able to do all of these things this year. But in order to tackle at least some of that list, I'd say you definitely have to day goodbye to Kelsey, McGee and Brad Smith if not some others.

As for Fitz, he has to take a pay cut. I don't see any other team bringing him in to be anything more than a backup, and at a much lower rate of pay than what he's getting now. If he stays, he'll most likely compete with the rookie for the starting spot. Fitz is smart enough and grounded enough to know that.

I don't propose cutting Fred, but your assessment of Fred vs. CJ is at least a year out of date. CJ > Fred period. Fred is strictly a backup now.

If Kelsey isn't cut, the Marrone era will fail. He's the 3rd highest paid player and we'll save 4.9 mill cutting him....meanwhile he sucks. It makes zero sense to keep him. Please guys, Pull Nixs' head out of Kelsey's ass and do what should've been done 4 years ago. 4.9 can get us a contributor.

Of these three, (unlike many others here apparently) I still like Brad Smith.

He's a very talented player IMO who would benefit from playing one position.

Is he? I would instead characterize Brad Smith as a mediocre player who only has significant NFL value because he can play so many positions.

For example, I don't think a year or two playing full-time WR is going to have Smith playing so well that anyone will be thinking we don't need a serious WR upgrade opposite Stevie.

So then we are not "short" on cap space like the article suggests right?

CBF

Short with regards to free agency. Byrd's tag will be $6.8, 2013 drafts will be $5.5, Nelson's tender will be $1.3. Then we have to think about Levitre and free agency. We don't have a lot left.