90s Cowboys team used veterinary medicines

NoSaint

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/07/tony-casillas-1990s-cowboys-used-medicine-meant-for-horses/

“When I heard about deer antler spray, when I heard that, I said, ‘That’s nothing,’” Casillas said. “We used to use this stuff called DMSO. That’s what veterinarians put on horses, on a muscle, so this is stuff that you can rub, and we used it in the locker room. We had a bottle and you’d take it. It goes straight to the bloodstream. And I’m not sure about this deer antler stuff, but, I mean, it was prevalent in our locker room. It’s called DMSO. You get it from the veterinarian and it goes right to the bloodstream. It’s an ointment that’s like anti-inflammatory. You put it on your skin and you put it on a muscle, and I guarantee you, in about 30 minutes you’d feel it. It wasn’t on the list. If you’re going to talk about the deer antler stuff, we used DMSO and people knew it. Everyone knew about it.”

DMSO basically takes it and whatever else you put with it and enters thru the skin...this is deginitely NOT PED's...its very well known in the bodybuilding world although most products favor D Limolene as it doesnt make you smell like garlic...

I am sure that many teams were using various things, the Bills included. It's widely known that Mark Kelso gave PCP to everyone before games. By widely known, I mean I just heard that in my head, so I can't substantiate that just yet.

The Great Gazoo?? No way.

Dmso was used as far back in the 60s. In fact, I recall reading a news story in which Daryl Lamonica, then with the Raiders talked about this miracle substance dmso and one of his offensive lineman talked about how he hated being in the huddle with Lamonica because his breath stunk so bad as a result of his dmso use. It was described as a strong garlicy smell.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

Dmso was used as far back in the 60s. In fact, I recall reading a news story in which Daryl Lamonica, then with the Raiders talked about this miracle substance dmso and one of his offensive lineman talked about how he hated being in the huddle with Lamonica because his breath stunk so bad as a result of his dmso use. It was described as a strong garlicy smell.

Well said Dr. I was immediately reminded of Lamonica, though my recall is that DMSO makes your breath smell like "rotten oysters." It was a well-known secret muscle pain product since the 1960s, and has actually been legal in Europe for a long time (the brand name Dolobene used to be DMSO based). My wife uses it on the horses at the barn all the time, but it is never gonna be approved for human use in the USA.

I worked in a chem lab at Kodak for a couple of summers during my Kallage days.

DMSO was used there - and probably most chem labs - as a solvent.

One guy had arthritis pretty bad and he would rub some on his skin from time to time.

I tried it and had the taste of clams in my mouth in about 30 seconds.

That was the summer of Woodstock, and there were other things around that didn't taste like clams.

Today Motrin probably has the same analgesic and pain reducing effect.

DMSO = dimethyl sulfoxide.

It is a high boiling organic solvent that I used in grad school for NMR spectroscopy. The reason why it smells like garlic is because it contains sulfur. It makes your skin numb because it's causing acute damage to your central nervous system like any other organic solvent.

DMSO = dimethyl sulfoxide.

It is a high boiling organic solvent that I used in grad school for NMR spectroscopy. The reason why it smells like garlic is because it contains sulfur. It makes your skin numb because it's causing acute damage to your central nervous system like any other organic solvent.

Uhh...no.

It can be used to treat CNS problems, so it makes no sense it does this by damaging it at the same time.

The only side effects noted are headaches with large IV doses and garlic breath.

http://www.mm2k.com/dmso-review.html

dmso was widely used at one point in most professional sports. prevalent in baseball for pitchers or guys hit with a ball. science and testing in sport is purely reactionary. guys just didnt know exactly what they where doing, they just new it got better. i would be willing to bet dmso at the time was in most if not all locker rooms

I don't know why it makes Bills' fans feel good to talk about how other teams cheat or cheated. It is soooo juvenile and a loser mentality IMHO.

Get off your high horse, seriously. There is nothing wrong with discussing a topic on an OPEN FORUM. If you don't like the subject matter, don't read it, then you won't have to embarrass yourself by name calling.