Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My last contribution tonight - that jayrahz account I listed a few posts ago says essentially that he knew about the alias and such in 2008 and cut ties with ronaiah then. He heard the story in December (probably in the award show lead up) and recognized the girls name as ronaiahs fake account. December 4th he started posting that he and his family knew who the real owner of the account was. Tweet still up if you want to check it out. by teos story, Two days later, teo received the call confessing everything.

Weird story all around.

Edited by NoSaint

Reistically I'd bet that's the casual banter the investigators found and reference when they talk about the perpetrator joking about it (a few of the links on that account send you to people tweeting jokes about being behind the fake accounts, for those not digging)

I think you're right:

Mr. Sports Journo@BIGSPORTSWRITER

A lot of these tweets/realizations were mentioned in the original @Deadspin story by @bubbaprog and @jackdickey.

Retweeted by Justin Megahan

UPDATE: The two people who is mentioned in the tweet are Reagan Maui'a & Troy Polamalu Yes That Troy Polamalu & its get crazier

This was already discussed on pages 19 and 20--- it's likely not real:

FWIW:

Tyler Burns@burnSTYLEr

@richarddeitsch @MerKenyon Yes, I think @LennayKay was stolen after the handle was released. @LoveMSMK must've been deactivated <30 days ago

Retweeted by Richard Deitsch

This was already discussed on pages 19 and 20--- it's likely not real:

Sorry Dude Just Woke Up & saw the news I should took a look back at the thread My Bad

But its going to be a hell of a day for Interviews tomorrow Armstrong, Te'o, Mystery Hoaxer & possible Reagan Maui'a & Troy Polamalu

Think about... Manti is of the generation that totally grew up in this online culture... These kids gotta be so desensitized to the crap going on... EVEN know they realize scams and hoaxes exists right next to them @ all times! It is like living in NOLA pre-Katrina... They were yanking trees out on people's property the wrong way 6 months prior to the storm... People were wondering where the water was seeping in from on their lawns.. You think? You live in a dry fish bowl surrounded by water! :wallbash: :wallbash:

Guess it makes sense the Samoan NFL commumity is a tight knit bunch. How's it get crazier ?

That more people are getting pulled into the soap opera, Reagan Maui'a told ESPN he met her

Earlier today, Deadspin published a report that Kekua, who the press was told died of leukemia in September, was in fact a fictional person created as part of an elaborate online hoax. Contradicting that report, former Arizona Cardinals fullback Reagan Maui'a has told ESPN that not only is Lennay Kekua a real person, but that he personally met her while doing charity work in Samoa with Troy Polamalu and other Polynesian athletes. Maui'a claims they were introduced by her cousin, Ronaiah Tuiasosopo:

After the initial meeting, Mauia said he met her at an "after-party" for all of the athletes involved in the camp.

"She was tall," he said. "Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model ... "

He said it is his understanding that Kekua's mother is operating her Twitter account. He said he'd never met her mother. When told by a reporter that she apparently might not have existed, Mauia said: "No, she is real."

The report contradicts Notre Dame athletic Director Jack Swarbrick, who told reporters Wednesday night that Kekua is a fictional character created to perpetrate a hoax against star Irish linebacker Manti Te'o.

Tuiasosopo, a former high school football star and current professional musician, was cited by Deadspin as the person behind Lennay Kekua's apparently fictional persona. Tuiasosopo is reportedly a close friend of the Te'o family.

Te'o and members of his family had previously told reporters that the two had met after a game between Notre Dame and Stanford, and that Kekua had visited Hawaii to see Te'o's family. Swarbrick confirmed tonight that those reports were false, saying it was a "purely online relationship."

Edited by Hater

To be fair...a friend of mine died 5-6 years ago. His wife kept his Facebook page active and she regularly posts updates of their kids 'to him'. Heck I even post birthday wishes 'to him' every year.

Manti Te'o@MTeo_5

@LennayKay I miss you!

did this dude seriously tweet his dead girlfriend a month after she "died"?

Irregardless of how this plays out I think its quite obvious our POTUS needs to look at tougher regulations on fake girlfriends... look how it is affecting so many!

Very bizarre

In hindsight, how does this compare with some of your past relationships?

:D

"She was tall," he said. "Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model … "

Wow who ever she was, she sounded hot!

She's probably not really dead so there's no reason to refer to her in the past tense.

To be fair...a friend of mine died 5-6 years ago. His wife kept his Facebook page active and she regularly posts updates of their kids 'to him'. Heck I even post birthday wishes 'to him' every year.

Irregardless of how this plays out I think its quite obvious our POTUS needs to look at tougher regulations on fake girlfriends... look how it is affecting so many!

LOL! I smell an executive order!!!!

This is Te'o's problem. No matter if he was duped or not the whole media blitz surrounding him since the Michigan State is an issue.

http://www.thebiglea...dia-blew-it-up/

ESPN discussed the Bills in their coverage this morning and how Kiper has them picking Te'o. There is an article about Te'o and the Bills draft linked from the Buffalo News on the main page. I haven't read it yet so I'm not sure what is in there. I am afraid to read it. Polamalu may be involved and has connections with Whaley. And from the article you linked.....

Where does that leave us? Well, waiting for Manti Te’o and his representation to circle the wagons and provide more than a released written statement, I suppose.

Smoke....meet fire.

While for the last 20 minutes you've conned me into thinking I was talking to a 43 year old. See how easy that was!

It happens though, seriously. I've seen it, and several others in the thread have. It's not as impossible as many portray

No saint - online relationships exist. But eventually, after 3 years, people meet. Heck, what about skype, face time, etc? You're telling me they never skyped?

Also, its not that I don't accept that online relationships exist, but your asking me to accept that manti te'o for all this time, rather than dating a real physical girl, would lock himself in his room and fall asleep talking to a girl he never met for 8 hours!???

C'mon MAN!!

He's the starting LB for ND, heisman candidate, all-everything, and this guy doesn't date a girl he can actually touch but instead just talks on the phone for X amount of years??

Logic man. Logic faulters here

Edited by bobobonators

No saint - online relationships exist. But eventually, after 3 years, people meet. Heck, what about skype, face time, etc? You're telling me they never skyped?

Also, its not that I don't accept that online relationships meet, but your asking me to accept that manti te'o for all this time, rather than dating a real physical girl, would lock himself in his room and fall on the sleep talking to a girl he never met for 8 hours!???

C'mon MAN!!

He's the starting LB for ND, heisman candidate, all-everything, and this g

uy doesn't date a girl he can actually touch but instead just talks on the phone for X amount of years??

Logic man. Logic faulters here

I wonder if he did actually meet someone initially. Reagan said there was someone for real before teo. And then the hoaxsters picked up on this after to string him along.

Reliability Meter - # 1 is best, # 17 is worst:

#1- nevergiveup

#2- BuffaloATL

#3- metzelaars_lives

#4- kelly blue book

#5- farmers almanac

#6- nostradamus

#7- TMZ

#8- punxsutawney phil

#9- weatherman

#10- economist

#11- ESPN Insiders

#12- psychic

#13- momma pecoraro

#14- Thurman Thomas

#15- Skooby and sources deep within

#16- Bleacher Report

#17- Manti T'eo

I wonder if he did actually meet someone initially. Reagan said there was someone for real before teo. And then the hoaxsters picked up on this after to string him along.

ya, same here.

i could maybe see a woman and that Tuaalalalaualapaoapooppo character working together in this elaborate scheme.

I don't know, even if Te'o was "innocent" in this case though, he's still guilty of exaggerating their relationship. That exaggeration during the football season turned a great player into a mythical player, creating a hype machine for ND and a potential Heisman.

You laugh but this revelation might provide him with an excuse for that poor outing , negating any potential draft order impact. Provided of course he was only a victim here and this blows over by April.

his place in the draft all hinges on his 40 time.....if he times fast, which i doubt, he will be picked around 10-15. if he times average, which i expect, he will be picked 16-32. if he times medium-slow, which is possible, he falls out of first round.

ya, same here.

i could maybe see a woman and that Tuaalalalaualapaoapooppo character working together in this elaborate scheme.

I don't know, even if Te'o was "innocent" in this case though, he's still guilty of exaggerating their relationship. That exaggeration during the football season turned a great player into a mythical player, creating a hype machine for ND and a potential Heisman.

Agree. But people exaggerate relationships all the time. I knew a guy who met a reasonably well known female TV show co-host. I dont think he did much more than shake hands and chat for a bit at a nightclub. She put him on her email list, but all we ever saw were to advertise her upcoming shows. No sign of a relationship. Nonetheless he went around for a while claiming they were an item. We just laughed it off, guy was lovesick and only kidding himself.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Agree. But people exaggerate relationships all the time. I knee a guy who met a reasonably well known female TV show co-host. I dont think he did much more than shake hands and chat for a bit at club. She put him on her email list, but all we ever saw were to advertise her upcoming shows. No sign of a relationship. Nonetheless he went around for a while claiming they were an item. We just laughed it off, guy was lovesick and only kidding himself.

ya, i hear ya. but it looks worse when you're in the public eye, and when it involves a death.

sorry, correction, i mean "death"

Agree. But people exaggerate relationships all the time. I knew a guy who met a reasonably well known female TV show co-host. I dont think he did much more than shake hands and chat for a bit at a nightclub. She put him on her email list, but all we ever saw were to advertise her upcoming shows. No sign of a relationship. Nonetheless he went around for a while claiming they were an item. We just laughed it off, guy was lovesick and only kidding himself.

Kathy Lee or Hoda?

i didn't read all 22 pages but c'mon, this happens a lot these days. that movie "catfish" and the tv show by that same name on mtv shows how this happens all of the time. the guy has a big heart, he was an easy target. i definitely believe him. he was talking to someone. and if it's like that show then it's probably a 400 pound whale who can't get guys to talk to her otherwise. i feel really bad for the guy. this has to be super embarrassing for him to admit he was the victim of such an elaborate hoax, not to mention the tears he probably shed thinking his online gf that he talked to every single day had died. i don't see how this can be held against him. a dumb/naive jock getting taken advantage of...is it really that far fetched?

i didn't read all 22 pages but c'mon, this happens a lot these days. that movie "catfish" and the tv show by that same name on mtv shows how this happens all of the time. the guy has a big heart, he was an easy target. i definitely believe him. he was talking to someone. and if it's like that show then it's probably a 400 pound whale who can't get guys to talk to her otherwise. i feel really bad for the guy. this has to be super embarrassing for him to admit he was the victim of such an elaborate hoax, not to mention the tears he probably shed thinking his online gf that he talked to every single day had died. i don't see how this can be held against him. a dumb/naive jock getting taken advantage of...is it really that far fetched?

Well, there is the part where he described their initial meeting in Palo Alto, or the part about her vacationing in Hawaii and meeting family.

I feel a song coming on!

Tay, Tay Tay-ay-ay-o

(Daylight come and he got no girlfriend)

Tay, Tay Tay-ay-ay-o

Come Mister Tally Man, tally me a girlfriend

Tay, Tay Tay-ay-ay-o

Tay, Tay Tay-ay-ay-o

Hide the deadly black tarantula

Tay, Tay Tay-ay-ay-o

Tay, Tay Tay-ay-ay-o

I feel a song coming on!

Tay, Tay Tay-ay-ay-o

Tay, Tay Tay-ay-ay-o

Tay, Tay Tay-ay-ay-o

Tay, Tay Tay-ay-ay-o

Tay, Tay Tay-ay-ay-o

Tay, Tay Tay-ay-ay-o

lmfao..