Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

If true, it's very bizarre:

http://deadspin.com/...eason-is-a-hoax

Notre Dame's Manti Te'o, the stories said, played this season under a terrible burden. A Mormon linebacker who led his Catholic school's football program back to glory, Te'o was whipsawed between personal tragedies along the way. In the span of six hours in September, as Sports Illustrated told it, Te'o learned first of the death of his grandmother, Annette Santiago, and then of the death of his girlfriend, Lennay Kekua.

Kekua, 22 years old, had been in a serious car accident in California, and then had been diagnosed with leukemia. SI's Pete Thamel described how Te'o would phone her in her hospital room and stay on the line with her as he slept through the night. "Her relatives told him that at her lowest points, as she fought to emerge from a coma, her breathing rate would increase at the sound of his voice," Thamel wrote.

Upon receiving the news of the two deaths, Te'o went out and led the Fighting Irish to a 20-3 upset of Michigan State, racking up 12 tackles. It was heartbreaking and inspirational. Te'o would appear on ESPN's College GameDay to talk about the letters Kekua had written him during her illness. He would send a heartfelt letter to the parents of a sick child, discussing his experience with disease and grief. The South Bend Tribune wrote an article describing the young couple's fairytale meeting—she, a Stanford student; he, a Notre Dame star—after a football game outside Palo Alto.

Did you enjoy the uplifiting story, the tale of a man who responded to adversity by becoming one of the top players of the game? If so, stop reading.
Edited by Punch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look on the plus side for a change: he obviously took English class seriously, and created an entire character and an entire life story surrounding her. That takes smarts and creativity!

He created or the media created? If true, it will be really interesting to break down exacxtly what T'eo said vs what the media just ran with based on nothing but other media 'reports'.

He created or the media created? If true, it will be really interesting to break down exacxtly what T'eo said vs what the media just ran with based on nothing but other media 'reports'.

....and he never thought to correct them?

If this is true it is a very bad reflection on him either way.

....and he never thought to correct them?

If this is true it is a very bad reflection on him either way.

No question, I wouldn't argue otherwise. But I find it interesting that our society now appearly believes media has zero responsibility to understand or confirm what they are reporting.

I've never witness such a media darling athlete fall from grace so quickly...it's like his life unraveled at the hands of Alabama...

And as others mentioned...what a massive indictment on the state of media that not one person bothered to fact check this story. Not one!

No question, I wouldn't argue otherwise. But I find it interesting that our society now appearly believes media has zero responsibility to understand or confirm what they are reporting.

This is true. The media has become out of control. They are absolutely reckless in their reporting and none of them are held responsible for their actions. Sure, there are some with an ounce of integrity still, but the "profession" as a whole has sank lower than lawyers (who at least will give you your day in court).

Edited by kas23