Matt Barkley - QB - USC

RogerNapalm

Why wouldn't Barkley and other qbs sandbag their Bills workout. Even if these guys loved buffalo as a city the Ralph is not a passers ballpark.

ego and pride. to be able to prosper where others perish. to not only do what nobody else wants to do, but to do it great. and finally, to become a folk hero and living legend to an entire community. if any of these people are motivated by old-school values rather than just the money, then maybe one man will realize that if he could bring a championship to buffalo, his legend would be passed down reverently for countless generations.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Furthering that concept, if you somehow think it is wrong, name a QB that isn't Wilson or Brady who was drafted outside the top 36 picks in the last 27 years who became an Elite starter. The percentages I quoted were not opinions.....they were the facts.

1. How did you define "elite"?

2. What was the prospective rationale behind extending to pick #36?

to be able to prosper where others perish. to not only do what nobody else wants to do, but to do it great. and finally, to become a folk hero and living legend to an entire community. if any of these people are motivated by old-school values rather than just the money, then maybe one man will realize that if he could bring a championship to buffalo, his legend would be passed down reverently for countless generations.

Well said. eusa_clap.gif

If I had to take a QB in this class, and I really don't, I'd take Barkley. Great leader for the Trojans. Very knowledgeable about the game, and proved it in a "pro" offense at USC. But, he lacks accuracy and velocity on difficult throws. At best, you're getting a Dalton type with him.

ego and pride. to be able to prosper where others perish. to not only do what nobody else wants to do, but to do it great. and finally, to become a folk hero and living legend to an entire community. if any of these people are motivated by old-school values rather than just the money, then maybe one man will realize that if he could bring a championship to buffalo, his legend would be passed down reverently for countless generations.

It's funny that the one QB who has this ridiculous legendary status is Jim Kelly. Who is about the money more than anyone. He even robbed from local businesses, and nobody bats an eye.

1. How did you define "elite"?

2. What was the prospective rationale behind extending to pick #36?

1. Great question......impossible to define. For the sake of the studies I did, I set a bar of 4+ pro-bowl appearances......but you can't really define it.

An elite QB is one who is consistently very, very good. For the sake of the discussion, one can actually be a bit liberal as the best QBs to be selected after the #36 pick are QBs like Hasslebeck & Marc Bulger who nobody could possibly consider to be elite QBs. The only one that comes close(and might fit the mold) would be Matt Schaub.....and if he is, can be added to the list.....bringing the total number of elite QBs drafted outside of the top 36 in the last 28+ years to two.

2. I initially had the number at 33 as Brett Favre was the #33 pick. I decided to change to saying the top #36 to avoid arguments over the concept that people will definitely prematurely call Kaepernick elite. Either way, the percent chance that the NFL scouts miss the potential of an elite QB & he slips past the very early stages of the 2nd round are remote.

If you guys are gonna base your argument that Barkley or Nassib are Brees' match on statistics, then I can't argue with you.

The most significant of Brees' stats I can point to is that when he graduated from Purdue, he held the Big Ten record for passing yards and TD passes.

But it's Brees' non-statistical accomplishments as a player that place him high above Barkley and Nassib.

Brees resuscitated a moribund Purdue program and led them to their first Rose Bowl appearance in 24 years. With coach Joe Tiller he resurrected a Purdue program which had become a laughingstock in the Big Ten.

For the 12 seasons before Drew Brees got to Purdue, the program had losing records. Twelve straight seasons as losers.

In the 4 years Brees was at Purdue, they had a record of 33-16. After 12 straight losing records.

And after he left they were never again as good.

Brees won the Maxwell Award as college football best player. Neither Barkley or Nassib ever won this award.

He won the Davey O'Brien Award as the nation's best quarterback. Neither Barkley or Nassib ever won this award.

Brees finished 4th and 3rd in the Heisman voting. Barkley finished 6th two seasons ago. Unless I'm mistaken, Nassib was never on the Heisman radar.

Twice Brees was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year.

Brees was also the MVP in both the Alamo Bowl and the Outback Bowl.

Only statistics could make the case that Barkley or Nassib's careers approached that of Drew Brees'.

SJB, please understand that I'm not in anyway suggesting that Barkley will even come close to Brees or pounding the table that Bills need to draft him. I just think a lot of folks are overlooking a very good college career and I think the kid can be a player in this league. He played at USC during sanctions and lost scholarships (not to mention other recruits who went other places because of the penalties). I also believe Lane Kiffin is a giant handicap.

And the thing I truly hate is the USC comparison. Barkley is about as different a person as there could be from Leinart or Sanchez. http://www.usctrojan.../120412aab.html

I have no idea how he will be in the pros. I do know that the Bills haven't draft a QB with his resume since Kelly.

Saying there hasn't been any good QBs from USC is such a stupid argument, name a good QB from Tennessee before Peyton Manning or one from Purdue before Drew Brees, etc.

Heath Shuler was a bust, thus Peyton Manning will be a bust. Simple mathematics.

Al Fronzak mock has Barkley to the Bills:

8. Buffalo Bills - QB Matt Barkley (USC)...The Bills number one priority is to find a potential franchise QB in this draft...they can't gamble that the QB they are targeting will still be available in the second round, since several other teams are looking to draft a young QB...*Note - The Bills are also said to be high on FSU QB EJ Manuel, Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib and Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson as both GM Buddy Nix and Asst. GM Doug Whaley were both present at Wilson's pro day workout in Fayettville.

Team Needs- QB, WR, TE, ILB, OLB, CB; Offense - West Coast up-tempo, Zone blocking. Defense- 3-4 hybrid, press man coverage

http://www.eastcoast...Mock_Draft.html

And I found this tidbit...from former Oregon coach Chip Kelly about playing Luck and Barkley in 2011

"I also qualified that and said I'm not saying he's better than Andrew Luck. I'm not saying Andrew Luck is better than him. In the game against the Ducks, the best quarterback performance in the 11 games we've played was Matt Barkley." - Chip Kelly

http://latimesblogs....ne-respect.html

Exactly. I remember that game. Barkley was amazing but their defense couldn't stop Oregon. http://espn.go.com/c...22/matt-barkley 35-54, 484 yards, 5 tds, 2 ints, 51 points but because his team lost, he deserves all the blame.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

He can make all the throws.Yes his deep ball is deadly. I know he has as much arm strength as the great Jim Kelly. Because Jims arm to be truthfull was not as strong as some youngsters on here believe. He threw for 11tds and only1int against Marrone.I think he remembers. This in two games. 5 last year.