Matt Barkley - QB - USC

RogerNapalm

Intersting comment from Ed:

Ed Kilgore@kedwinkilgore 20s

Barkley pro day answers shoulder ? and IMO makes Barkley #Bills #1 choice at 8 in draft. I'm told #Bills love him but worry he may b gone.

Which brings up the question, inside info or smokescreen?

It's certainly very interesting that the Bills either didn't attend or underattended Barkley's Pro Day.

Quite a mysterious situation.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's certainly very interesting that the Bills either didn't attend or underattended Barkley's Pro Day.

This smells of smoke. Heap praises on a guy you have no intention on drafting and "leak" it through a reputable media source. Like every draft, a lot of disinformation by teams is floating around

Whaley was there. They have scouted him intensely, and what could they possibly need to know that he did there, his first day back throwing in public, that cannot be answered when they work him out privately and then interview him in Buffalo? I was trying to think of something, anything, but couldn't.

Whaley was there. They have scouted him intensely, and what could they possibly need to know that he did there, his first day back throwing in public, that cannot be answered when they work him out privately and then interview him in Buffalo? I was trying to think of something, anything, but couldn't.

My point was that whether there was no one there or one person there, that's in stark contrast to their attendance at other recent pro days.

Capisce?

If Barkley doe not have a strong arm what use will he be in the Ralph after October??

I don't think the Bills will draft him just because of that reason. We don't need Fitz 2.0.

JMO , I think its between Nassib, Geno, Scott ( who I like in the 2nd round) or Wilson.

Interesting:

@ProFootballTalk

Greg Cosell explains to @dpshow why Matt Barkley is a fourth-round talent http://wp.me/p14QSB-7XqO

The beauty of this process is that no one really knows. Not the experts, not the coaches, not the scouts, not TBD posters, no one. At this point, I think Barkley is worth the risk. Arm strength can improve, we've seen it happen many times. Brady was a noodle arm coming out of college and now is throwing seeds. Drew Brees was never really a strong armed QB and he turned out ok.

The thing I like about Barkley that I think will help him succeed is that he's been a 4 year starter in a top tier Pro style attack. He's accurate. He's tasted success and battled failure. If we take a chance on him at 8 and it doesn't work out, well, we're not that much worse off. We have the top pick in next years draft and we take Johnny Manziel or the next stud QB.

The beauty of this process is that no one really knows. Not the experts, not the coaches, not the scouts, not TBD posters, no one. At this point, I think Barkley is worth the risk. Arm strength can improve, we've seen it happen many times. Brady was a noodle arm coming out of college and now is throwing seeds. Drew Brees was never really a strong armed QB and he turned out ok.

The thing I like about Barkley that I think will help him succeed is that he's been a 4 year starter in a top tier Pro style attack. He's accurate. He's tasted success and battled failure. If we take a chance on him at 8 and it doesn't work out, well, we're not that much worse off. We have the top pick in next years draft and we take Johnny Manziel or the next stud QB.

So, if I understand correctly, you are an advocate for gambling the #8 pick on a qb that Kiper says is a 2nd rounder, Cosell says is a 1st rounder, Brandt now says is a 2nd rounder, and Mayock says is a late 1st rounder? And, if he flops it's ok, the Bills can draft Manziel next year?

Wow. That's a big time gamble considering anything and everything possible that could happen.

Have you ever had a job which requires critical thinking and critical decisions which could cost you not just your job, but your career?

So, if I understand correctly, you are an advocate for gambling the #8 pick on a qb that Kiper says is a 2nd rounder, Cosell says is a 1st rounder, Brandt now says is a 2nd rounder, and Mayock says is a late 1st rounder? And, if he flops it's ok, the Bills can draft Manziel next year?

Wow. That's a big time gamble considering anything and everything possible that could happen.

Have you ever had a job which requires critical thinking and critical decisions which could cost you not just your job, but your career?

Yes, it's worth the gamble. Drafting any position is a gamble. Not all positions have the same impact, tho.

If behind Door 1 is a 10% chance at a million dollars and behind Door 2 is a 90% chance at $100, you should choose Door 1

Critical Thinking??? Remember we're talking Buddy Nix here.... And since he is retiring supposedly right after the draft, I don't think his career will be affected much either... I'd start getting used to the idea of drafting a QB at #8... My guess is either Smith or Barkley or both will be there at #8

If Barkley doe not have a strong arm what use will he be in the Ralph after October??

I don't think the Bills will draft him just because of that reason. We don't need Fitz 2.0.

JMO , I think its between Nassib, Geno, Scott ( who I like in the 2nd round) or Wilson.

Barkley is going to be a PICK 6 MACHINE if he's ever allowed to play at the Ralph. He cannot take the cold. He cannot take the wind. Plus, with a sketchy shoulder, he may not be able to take a hit. -Which considering our o-line status, makes him a huge liability.

I've been calling this kid fool's gold for months now, and my opinion has not changed. We've been without a franchise QB for many, many, years., and one more will not make a huge difference.

This is a key draft for defense. We should spend our high picks there. Why does the face of a franchise NEED to be a QB????

Barkley is going to be a PICK 6 MACHINE if he's ever allowed to play at the Ralph. He cannot take the cold. He cannot take the wind. Plus, with a sketchy shoulder, he may not be able to take a hit. -Which considering our o-line status, makes him a huge liability.

I've been calling this kid fool's gold for months now, and my opinion has not changed. We've been without a franchise QB for many, many, years., and one more will not make a huge difference.

This is a key draft for defense. We should spend our high picks there. Why does the face of a franchise NEED to be a QB????

In the land of TSW...we are all experts at predicting the future

Example: Tom Brady's scouting report is a good read...had similar characteristics as Matt Barkley--not enough arm strength--can't make all the throws--could have issues in cold weather

Edited by KollegeStudnet

I have been aware of Barkley since he was in high school and I've watched probably 95% of his games at USC. I have plenty of reservations about him. But one area that doesn't bother me at all is accuracy. The kid is deadly accurate. Go back and look at his soph and junior seasons.

As for your question about a "face of the franchise," you're right, it doesn't have to be a QB. For years, Ray Lewis was the poster boy for the Ravens. But in case you didn't notice, the Bills are in serious need of a QB, any QB, even a warm body that can line up behind center. Adam Sandler would do at this point. So they're going to take one or two this year, in a draft class without a single "can't miss" guy in it. I think most of us around here have made peace with the idea (the fact?) that we're not going to get a "face of the franchise" guy out of this group. Me, and maybe most everyone else, are just trying to decide who has the highest "better than Fitz" rating.

For the record, out of this group, I'm becoming convinced Barkley is our best option.

I have been aware of Barkley since he was in high school and I've watched probably 95% of his games at USC. I have plenty of reservations about him. But one area that doesn't bother me at all is accuracy. The kid is deadly accurate. Go back and look at his soph and junior seasons.

As for your question about a "face of the franchise," you're right, it doesn't have to be a QB. For years, Ray Lewis was the poster boy for the Ravens. But in case you didn't notice, the Bills are in serious need of a QB, any QB, even a warm body that can line up behind center. Adam Sandler would do at this point. So they're going to take one or two this year, in a draft class without a single "can't miss" guy in it. I think most of us around here have made peace with the idea (the fact?) that we're not going to get a "face of the franchise" guy out of this group. Me, and maybe most everyone else, are just trying to decide who has the highest "better than Fitz" rating.

For the record, out of this group, I'm becoming convinced Barkley is our best option.

+1. I'm starting to get to the point where I hope Geno Smith is gone and we take Barkley. I loved Tyler Wilson before the season started but the scouts don't seem too excited about him. The thought of having Nassib or Landry Jones.... or even Glennon really scares me. Just hope they make the best choice. Been awhile since our QB was a weapon... for us.

Ha. I'm not going to even comment on that job remark because it has nothing to do with this discussion.

If you read my post, what I'm saying is that I think it's worth the risk. Much different than a gamble. It's impossible to win in this league without a very good QB. I think Barkley has tools too become a very good QB in this league. I'm not saying I guarantee it, just that given those facts I think it's a risk worth taking. Comprende??

Edited by dubs

Somebody woke up on the wrong side of their stethoscope Dr. Trooth ?