Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

You act as if building a winning football program requires some kind of PhD and archaic formulas or something. I'm not saying it's easy. It's very hard, but it's not complicated.

It's very complicated when you come to a program in shambles with crappy facilities and very little talent in a mediocre conference.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less than overwhleming hire. It will not excite the fans. It is a head scratcher. That being said, it may be the correct hire. While not sexy, he turned around a college program, which is not easy. He worked on successful pro staffs. He has an offensive background. Marrone has his work cut out in hiring a staff. He has to get a defensive coordinator who can get the talent that they have to play up to their potential. This reminds me of Indy hiring Chuck Pagano last year. Fans in Indy were disappointed but now love him. Time will tell if this was a good or bad hire. We all need to be patient.

You are far too well-reasoned for this board...begone!

j/k...totally agree

I just gave a handful of examples of how it's happened in the past few years and you attack me? It's happened many many times at the college level

You act as if building a winning football program requires some kind of PhD and archaic formulas or something. I'm not saying it's easy. It's very hard, but it's not complicated.

You are pointing out the few successful examples while ignoring all the failures. Turning around any bad team is never easy.

PTR

i think if you look at the time stamps of when i posted and when he replied you can figure out if he read it completely or not....unless the poster is evelyn wood...

Did you even read the article? A) Some of the guys mentioned have extensive NFL experience and B) much of the article was to illustrate who he worked with in the past that can give him recommendations to pro coaches

If Marrone is official, why hasn't there been any press release about this? Waiting till after the games today?

because it's a deal in 'principle'...meaning they have agreed to terms, but are putting it to paper and working out details

If Marrone is official, why hasn't there been any press release about this? Waiting till after the games today?

Just tweeted:

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia

I'm told the parameters of the contract with the #Bills and Doug Marrone are still being worked on at this point.

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia

League source tells me #Bills are going to approach the defensive coordinator position very aggressively.

Edited by reed83 4th Rounder

because it's a deal in 'principle'...meaning they have agreed to terms, but are putting it to paper and working out details

No different then when the Chiefs agreed to terms with Andy Reid. It took a while to get everything on paper for an actual contract signing.

It's very complicated when you come to a program in shambles with crappy facilities and very little talent in a mediocre conference.

There's nothing complicated about it. In fact you just outlined what needed to be done - better facilities and talent. The most complicated part of that is evaluating talent. Like I said. It's very hard but it's not complicated.

@JoeBuscaglia: League source tells me #Bills are going to approach the defensive coordinator position very aggressively.

Maybe there's still hope. Make Lovie DC and Assistant HC.

I will say this about Marrone. He changed the attitude and culture in Syracuse. Maybe that's why they liked him. If they get a solid DC and don't go into yet another rebuilding mode, then maybe something good will happen. But I'm so tired of rebuilding.

Maybe there's still hope. Make Lovie DC and Assistant HC.

I will say this about Marrone. He changed the attitude and culture in Syracuse. Maybe that's why they liked him. If they get a solid DC and don't go into yet another rebuilding mode, then maybe something good will happen. But I'm so tired of rebuilding.

Would love that move if Lovie is up for it.

There's nothing complicated about it. In fact you just outlined what needed to be done - better facilities and talent. The most complicated part of that is evaluating talent. Like I said. It's very hard but it's not complicated.

That's the point though. When you do not have the facilities and the talent, which he didn't, you have to be very, very good, creative, innovative and aggressive to get it done. That's complicated, and not easy.

Lovie would be fine as DC but personally, I'd prefer someone with a more aggressive philosophy. I want to attack the ball. Horton comes to mind, if he can transition his system to a 4-3. Or Schafer. The cover-2 to me is not ideal - it can be beaten with proper execution. And the Patriots always have textbook execution. That's why they almost always destroy cover-2 defenses.

Lovie doesn't look, at least right now, that he is going to be hired as a Head Coach this year.

It's easy to say that he may not want to go to the team that just hired another guy to run the team. BUT... it's also easy to say that no other team did either, so he can't harbor so much hate, and, that the Bills have the most defensive talent available so Lovie's best chance to get a HC job in the next year or two is to come to Buffalo. Now, perhaps we may not want a guy who is going to leave in the next year or two, BUT... it may not be a bad thing at all. He could set the defense straight, obviously if he were to get a HC job that means he was successful here, and then we could just promote one of his assistants to take over that defense when he leaves.

Now that the initial disappointment of not getting the guys I personally targeted has worn off, I'm very open to this hire.

-I like the idea of having somebody young and hungry in the HC role, after trudging through the Jauron/Gailey years. It's a 24/7, high-pressure job and therefore a young man's game.

-Does anybody remember Drew Brees as a Charger? I'd venture to say he was not vastly superior to Fitzpatrick. When Payton and Marrone got a hold of him, his potential was unlocked. Couple that with people saying Nassib was not highly rated, we may have a bit of a QB guru on our hands.

-Saw Herm Edwards on ESPN this morning talking about Marrone's time as Edwards' o-line coach here in NJ...Marrone transitioned Brandon Moore from defensive tackle into a Pro Bowl OG.

-Marrone was apparently a finalist for the Browns in addition to meeting with SD at length last night. Eagles also appear to have had interest. This is very unlike both the Jauron and Gailey hires in that he was a target of other teams. Schefter calling him the hottest candidate on the market I find very very encouraging.

-How about the big brass balls on Russ Brandon? Would've been so much easier to justify Lovie or Whisenhunt to his angry season ticket clientele. Doesn't make this a better hire in itself, but at least he's trying to win rather than trying to appease us.

I think there's plenty of reason to be cautiously optimistic here.