Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

Once again, anyone trotting out Marrone's record at Syracuse as a negative is completely ignorant of how major college football works, in regards to what goes into building a truly "elite" program.

If you think that Doug Marrone should have and could have built Syracuse into a national powerhouse, then you really don't know anything about college ball. The problem isn't Marrone, its you guys.

I'm not writing this as an endorsement of Marrone necessarily...But I agree with this take...

As a Bills 1st, but Michigan 2nd, and Syracuse 3rd Football fan, I doubt very much anyone can have more disdain for Greg Robinson than I do...What Marrone did there (Cuse), to me at least, was pretty significant...My immediate reaction was not positive when I heard Marrone would be interviewed...Like most I thought about the overall record at Cuse first...But after a day I thought...well...This is a HC that is going to get more, not less out of the talent he's given...If he brings that trait alone to Buffalo it will be a major step forward...

We'll see I guess...But I don't hate the choice at all...And I've been tremendously hard on The Bills Organization for a while now... B-)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone can look at the thread announcing the hiring of Chan Gailey, I swear it's very similar. Started with WTF...migrated to some of the blips on his resume...ended with "I like the hire".

I just doubt the whole thing. When every member on the "new" brain trust was in the building last year, I am really struggling to see how this is different. And it is this lack of confidence in OBD that feeds my lack of confidence in any coach (or players) they choose. You can call me a pessimist, but 10 losing seasons later, it sure feels more like realism.

I will be pleasantly shocked if the Bills are better than 6-10 next year.

WOW! Exciting! Blown-away!

A mediocre coach from a mediocre team, from a crap of a conference.

They better get extra personnel in to handle the flood of new season ticket buyers in Orchard Park today!

And I'm sure there will be a line of top O & D coordinators falling all over themselves to get on this guys staff.

Well a coordinator could look at it as a possible stepping stone to HC if Marrone fails

If anyone can look at the thread announcing the hiring of Chan Gailey, I swear it's very similar. Started with WTF...migrated to some of the blips on his resume...ended with "I like the hire".

I just doubt the whole thing. When every member on the "new" brain trust was in the building last year, I am really struggling to see how this is different. And it is this lack of confidence in OBD that feeds my lack of confidence in any coach (or players) they choose. You can call me a pessimist, but 10 losing seasons later, it sure feels more like realism.

What sort of hire would have made you happy? This is about as different as they come. The Bills have NEVER hired a coach out of college.

The best Syracuse can hope for currently is 8-9 win seasons with a Big East title. Last i checked, they had two 8 win seasons in 4 under Marrone, and tied for the conference title this season. What more can you ask for?

Technically, currently they can't hope for a Big East title. The football team's next opportunity will be in the ACC.

Prepare to be shocked then. The Bills should have had at least 2 more wins, I guarantee the defense and the QB position will perform better. Chan made some large mistakes that cost games, I don't see Marrone being as inept as either Chan or Wanny.

If you want to dislike the hire, that's fine, there's a number of reasons to not like it. The hating it just because the Bills picked a coach is..well..stupid. They had to pick someone and even if they hired Belichick away from the Patriots, people would consider it a terrible move.

There's some posters here who are rooting for them to fail so they keep saying "I told you so" which is more important to them than the Bills winning.

Well I'm not one of those. I've already laid out my reasons for not liking the hired earlier. I think to have any hope of success he needs a stud QB (like I was saying about Kurt Warner taking the Cards to the playoffs). I don't see him taking a Rex Grossman to a SB. But hey winning cures all.

When week 1 rolls around I'll be cheering the Bills (but keeping my emotions in line with my low expectations), but today I just feel like "f!cking eh, more of this ****"?

Didn't say I knew all about college football but you insinuated that this guy can't be that great since Boise St. and Louisville had better programs. I'd venture to guess that his previous NFL experience and his work in changing the complete loosing culture at Syracuse had people start taking notice. Sounds like he was very meticulous, and demanded the best out of his players. Lots transferred when he first came to Syracuse. Why did other NFL teams interview and show interest in him now? Answer the question.

Not really what I said. And Marone had 2 losing seasons in 4 (alternated actually) so not sure how the "complete losing culture" was eliminated. As of 2011, his winning the season before turned back to losing.

He was a hot item this year because the crop of candidates was pretty bad and his team beat Geno Smith in Yankee stadium.

Prepare to be shocked then. The Bills should have had at least 2 more wins, I guarantee the defense and the QB position will perform better. Chan made some large mistakes that cost games, I don't see Marrone being as inept as either Chan or Wanny.

Doubtful, the schedule is harsh. They'll be lucky to get 5 wins unless this Marrone is magic.

someone pointed out earlier and i know its not a great stat or barometer but during Marrones tenure, SU tied with Oregon & Boise State for the most road wins in BCS level football...so there is some kind of measurement there...

Didn't say I knew all about college football but you insinuated that this guy can't be that great since Boise St. and Louisville had better programs. I'd venture to guess that his previous NFL experience and his work in changing the complete loosing culture at Syracuse had people start taking notice. Sounds like he was very meticulous, and demanded the best out of his players. Lots transferred when he first came to Syracuse. Why did other NFL teams interview and show interest in him now? Answer the question.

Edited by The Poojer

Sean Payton comments / endorsement:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/01/new_orleans_saints_coach_sean_220.html

"Payton said he absolutely saw qualities in Marrone when he hired him in 2006 that would translate into Marrone becoming an NFL head coach at some point. Payton said it was only a matter of when.

"He was someone that was on that original staff when you look at Dennis Allen who's out at Oakland now, and Doug Marrone, these guys came back in '06 after Katrina. ... When his opportunity came at Syracuse, it was his alma mater and he was able to get that program turned around," Payton said. "I think he'll do a great job. I really do. I know he had a handful of options this offseason with some of these pro teams. I'm excited to see him get this opportunity. He deserves it."

Some other good quotes from the o-linemen he coached as well...

In an NFL HC? REally?

Anyway teams like Boise St became national powerhouses recently despite obvious location, recruiting and facility disadvantages. Even other teams in the Big East (like Louisville) had better records and performance than Syracuse despite the same limitations you cite.

So how did Marrone get no interest last offseason, yet now he's our HC?

Boise st has been a slow build to power. Much like the track that Marrone had Su on. Their facilities are terrible. Boise states aren't. As for how well Louisville has fared - first location location location, second why don't you check out marrones record against Louisville the last few years.

Sal just asked Mary Kay Cabot from the Cleveland Plain Dealer if "Marrone is in play for Cleveland?".

Is Sal hopelessly out of touch or is Marrone not signed? WTF?!?

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana

Mary Kay, is Marrone in play there? RT @MaryKayCabot Kelly "will not be the next Cleveland Browns coach,'' report says http://dlvr.it/2ljKbp

How utterly ridiculous...passing notes in gym class.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefterFiled to ESPN: Doug Marrone has agreed to leave Syracuse and become the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills.LET'S GO!!!!

OK Mr Russ Brandon.

You fired Gailey...check

Buddy leaving With Whaley ready to move up to GM...check

Hiring Marrone.... I am ok with this but lets see who he picks as OC and DC... at least you trying something different. Bold move and I hope he can change the losing attitude at OBD.

Getting a QB is next. You know Fitz cant to it. Waiting for the other shoe to fall. Cut Fitz and get 2 QB's for next fall.

Then you might get me to drink some of the Koolaid you got. OK Russ?...cool.

Well walterfootball has him in their 2014 mock going to the jets. So that's where I found it. I wasn't aware he was a freshman cause I couldn't really care less. You have a problem take it up with them.

I believe Manziel has been out of HS for two years (red shirt)....after sophomore year, he'd be out 3 yrs

Not really what I said. And Marone had 2 losing seasons in 4 (alternated actually) so not sure how the "complete losing culture" was eliminated. As of 2011, his winning the season before turned back to losing.

He was a hot item this year because the crop of candidates was pretty bad and his team beat Geno Smith in Yankee stadium.

Already wasted enough time on you so last post for me. No point in arguing with someone who will be negative just because. None of us know what this guy will do and you already declaring the guy a failure just shows your ignorance. Sure he may fail but I'll refrain from making judgements until ya know we actually see some games. Oh and yes you are correct. Multiple NFL teams that are basically billion dollar enterprises are now interested in Marone just because his team won the Pinstripe bowl.

Thanks. And it's not surprising to see you being rude and disrespectful to someone who doesn't toe your line. If AKC ever graces this board again and comes back, perhaps you could drive him off again with your vicious tirades. After all, he didn't agree with your tambourine shaking love fests for players such as Losman, and thought that the Bills should get stronger at defensive tackle.

Screw him, right?

I watched the games and drank with AKC today. He liked Losman for the most part I think, and he likes the hire of Marrone. ;)

Already wasted enough time on you so last post for me. No point in arguing with someone who will be negative just because. None of us know what this guy will do and you already declaring the guy a failure just shows your ignorance. Sure he may fail but I'll refrain from making judgements until ya know we actually see some games. Oh and yes you are correct. Multiple NFL teams that are basically billion dollar enterprises are now interested in Marone just because his team won the Pinstripe bowl.

Billion dollar HFL franchises have been know to make bad HC choices, haven't they? 13 HC changes in the past 2 seasons? They don't make such errors? And I'm "ignorant"?

Anyway, I don't know if he will be any good. As I said, the choices/alternatives were pretty awful--every one of the other teams looking for a coach would have to make a pick from this crappy crew, so Marrone looks good in comparison (as opposed to last year's candidates--which is why he didn't get a sniff then). But I think if he didn't win that Bowl game, I don't think he would be our HC now. You disagree.