Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

Schefter on Sportscenter said Marrone looked at all the game films from The Bills, Browns and other teams courting him and his choice came down to the team that had THE MOST TALENT :flirt:

Excellent!

Oh, great, so he can't evaluate talent either! :D

Also excellent!!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I noticed is that while Marrone was the Saints OC from 2006-2008 Reggie Bush (a poor man's CJ Spiller) had a ton of catches.

http://espn.go.com/n...588/reggie-bush

88 in 2006 and similar paces the next 2 years although in less games played. He's never had 50 catches in any year since, including 2 more with the saints after Marrone left. Obviously, Marrone wasn't calling plays and it's tough to tell if he had any input in that trend, but I found it interesting nonetheless. Getting Spiller 80 catches in 2013 sounds good to me.

I'm not gonna dog Doug and I'm not saying this to be dismissive or disrespectful of him, but I would find it difficult to believe he was anything more than an advisor to Sean Payton those years. Just like Dan Henning was an advisor to Joe Gibbs.

I'm not gonna dog Doug and I'm not saying this to be dismissive or disrespectful of him, but I would find it difficult to believe he was anything more than an advisor to Sean Payton those years. Just like Dan Henning was an advisor to Joe Gibbs.

I don't think we have any idea of the relationship there beyond Payton called the plays.

Is there a link to where Brandon says there is an agreement in principal or anything along those lines after 10:30 because that is when Brandon tells Sal that Marrone is still a candidate elsewhere. Sorry if my facts are dated...or wasn't paying attention as someone suggested.

Considering these 2 tweets (both from around the same time) are not mutually exclusive, I suppose I understand where Sal is coming from--- if both of these are true. But it sounds like it may be a formality:

EDIT: I'll also add it's not necessarily clear that "Marrone still a candidate elsewhere" is Brandon speaking or Sal editorializing. I'd guess the latter.

Jerry Sullivan@TBNSully

Russ Brandon confirms by text that the Bills have agreed in principle to hire Doug Marrone as new head coach. Brandon called him "dynamic".

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana

Just got text from Brandon - Marrone deal NOT done yet. Mostly done, but not complete. Might take all day. Marrone still candidate elsewhere

Edited by Punch

I was in the Lovie camp. Hiring Lovie would have been like hiring Chuck Knox. Hiring Knox really settled down the coaching department after all the previous HC the Bills just had. You didn't go into the season or any particular game thinking you were unprepared.

What I don't get about Marrone is he was 1-3 to start the season and most of the SU football fans I would have been happy to get rid of Marrone. He goes on a win streak and all of a sudden he is a hot commodity for a pro job. I feel like we just hired the Rob Johnson of coaches.

And to those that say he turned the football program around at SU, he did. He turned it from what was really a dead program to a mediocre one in a weak football conference.

All negativity aside, I can only wish him the best of luck.

I feel the same way

I really disliked always being negative about Chan Gailey and his staff, but there was very little to be positive about the last 3 years. Lets hope that this hire changes that. Although I'm still very skeptical about this hire. For the life of me I still cannot fathom why after almost 13 straight losing seasons this franchise wouldn't literally jump at the chance to hire a proven winner.

But then thinking back they also turned down Marty S who really wanted the Bills HCing job badly in 2010.

I don't disagree with this.

This part from http://scottpitoniak.blogspot.com/ gives me some degree of faith: "Both Saints coach Sean Payton and former Giants two-time, Super Bowl-winning coach Bill Parcells had predicted that Marrone would become an NFL head coach some day. During an appearance at the Rochester Press-Radio Club Children’s Charities Dinner following the Saints Super Bowl victory a few years ago, quarterback Drew Brees told me that he “loved working with Marrone because Doug knew offenses inside and out, was meticulous in his preparation and was a great leader.”"

An exception proves the rule? It's not impossible, but it's quite rare in the NFL.

I removed the other part of your post because it didn't seem relevant to the NFL. Not sure how many wall street brokers are coaching in College or the NFL.

I'm speaking of the process. Edit away, sometimes it may be hard to understand unless you have experience being recruited. Football is no different than a fortune 500 company. But were all entitled to an opinion.

An exception proves the rule? Are you serious? There's hundreds in pro ball in many sports.

Convincing teenagers to come to Syracuse is one thing. Running an NFL team is another. Of which he has no experience. And you guys are excited? I'm shocked. This guy isn't an offensive OR defensive genius. Unless they have a top notch OC and DC to announce as coming too then we are screwed

Yep. That's what I was thinking. I really wanted Lovie. After the last 8-10 months I think, after more than three decades, the Bills may have finally lost me as a fan. Marrone may end up being great, but it's a hell of a gamble with too many question marks. It honestly smacks of Russ Brandon thinking he's smarter than everyone else.

Why is it so hard to for people to admit they don't know what they don't know?

The guy has a rather pedestrian resume, yet he is only one of a 1/2 dozen coaches among a pool of 100's of coaches that has received MULTIPLE interviews. I would not have hired him based on his Wikipedia page. However, given the support he has received across the NFL - I obviously don't possess all the facts necessary to pass judgment on him.

And I'm ok with that. I'm ok with not PRETENDING to know everything about everyone regarding every subject. For those of you unable to come to grips with your own limited knowledge base - you look foolish in your blustery, ignorant rants based upon a handful of facts.

The guy has a rather pedestrian resume, yet he is one a 1/2 dozen coaches among a pool of 100's of coaches that has received MULTIPLE interviews. I would not have hired him based on his Wikipedia page. However, given the support he has received across the NFL - I obviously don't possess all the facts necessary to pass judgment on him.

And I'm ok with that. I'm ok with not PRETENDING to know everything about everyone regarding every subject. For those of you unable to come to grips with your own limited knowledge base - you look foolish in your blustery, ignorant rants based upon a handful of facts.

I don't know who this SDS guy is, but he nailed it!

(By the way, good job on WBEN this morning Scott!)

i would guarantee that when it comes to the business of football, he is much smarter than anyone and everyone on this board. i know he is smarter than me, and for that reason i have to trust his decision

Yep. That's what I was thinking. I really wanted Lovie. After the last 8-10 months I think, after more than three decades, the Bills may have finally lost me as a fan. Marrone may end up being great, but it's a hell of a gamble with too many question marks. It honestly smacks of Russ Brandon thinking he's smarter than everyone else.

The guy has a rather pedestrian resume, yet he is one a 1/2 dozen coaches among a pool of 100's of coaches that has received MULTIPLE interviews. I would not have hired him based on his Wikipedia page. However, given the support he has received across the NFL - I obviously don't possess all the facts necessary to pass judgment on him.

Our Fearless Leader strikes again!

Couldn't agree more. Plus, in order for a HC to be successful in the NFL, he has to have a good staff, he has to hire good coordinators, he has to have a front office feed him players that can play in his system or philosophy, he has to have a QB, and he has to have a lot of luck.

Brandon and Nix didn't hire Marrone because (1) Marrone was cheap, (2) Russ wanted a SU buddy as coach, or even (3) Marrone interviewed well. I think it's a little arrogant to suggest the Bills think-tank (Brandon, Nix, Whaley) are so much more stupid, shallow and careless than we fans are. They might not be the best leadership team in the NFL, but they are far from idiots and they put a lot of thought and effort into this decision. I assume the Bills began their due diligence a month or more ago and knew a lot about each candidate before the interview process began. Presumably they saw a lot of good and Marrone and perhaps discovered some problems with the other candidates.

I'm not saying Marrone was the right choice. But two or three other teams interviewed him. Cleveland reportedly interviewed him twice, despite supposedly already deciding Kelly was their man. While Marrone's record at Syracuse wasn't stellar, let's remember that the Orange had only won 10 games in the previous four seasons and no self-respecting athlete wanted to play there. But, yeah, I understand 25-25 isn't the record you want to see in your HC hire. And I admit that the combination of successes, blemishes and questions make it hard to predict Marrone's NFL success.

Lovie Smith on the other hand, is a very well known commodity. He spent 9 seasons as the Bears head coach so we know what he can do once he builds a team up. And Lovie had just three winning season in the last six. Overall, he won 56% of his games. The guy's no Bill Belichick. He's no Marv Levy. He's just a somewhat better than average HC.

Back to Marrone, Joe Buscaglia says, "Does anyone know whether or not Marrone will be a success? Absolutely not. You'd be a fool to sit there and say with 100-percent certainty and conviction because, quite frankly, it's guesswork at this point."

Personally, I'd rather gamble on the unproven commodity (Marrone) than go with the guy who has proven himself to be mediocre (Lovie).

Considering these 2 tweets (both from around the same time) are not mutually exclusive, I suppose I understand where Sal is coming from--- if both of these are true. But it sounds like it may be a formality:

EDIT: I'll also add it's not necessarily clear that "Marrone still a candidate elsewhere" is Brandon speaking or Sal editorializing. I'd guess the latter.

Jerry Sullivan@TBNSully

Russ Brandon confirms by text that the Bills have agreed in principle to hire Doug Marrone as new head coach. Brandon called him "dynamic".

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana

Just got text from Brandon - Marrone deal NOT done yet. Mostly done, but not complete. Might take all day. Marrone still candidate elsewhere

Thanks for the information...guess we will have to wait and see if an agreement gets signed or not...and if an "agreement in principal" was Sully's editorializing or Brandon speaking.

Also, "dynamic" might mean that Brandon thinks Marrone is a dynamic person/coach or that signing him to a deal is (like the deal is up in the air).

So a guy that has 1 playoff season in the last 6 has no question marks, but a guy that's been successful as an NFL OL coach and coordinator, and took a college program from totally feeble to winning bowl games in 4 years has too many question marks?

Thank you.