Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

The problemis you is think you have him figured out as a coach but don't seem to know much beyond end results. Those only tell so much of the story. Why not learn more about him instead of going nuts and throwing a tantrum about it

There is no tantrum here. I just know what I have seen for the last 3-4 years watching Cuse football. Has he done a decent job? Yes. But his flaws are FATAL in the NFL. His play-calls will drive you NUTS at times.

Each one of those situations depends on the situational circumstance precluding it. There are perfectly legitimate reasons for a coach to decide to do any of those things. That's not a defense of Gailey's decisions, only a different way of saying, "never say never."

GO BILLS!!!

Absolutely. But these were situations that did not demand those play calls.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably shouldn't lie about someone when there is still proof that what you say is not the case.

Here is a post of mine from the Lovie thread.

No reason right? No evidence right? Keep lying.

Did you just quote yourself and call yourself a liar in post #666? That is funny, LOL!!!!

Why is it not important to point out that Oregon was a top 10 before Kelly? I'm not knocking the guy but his job was million times easier than Marrone's. a lot of college is about recruiting. Oregon already had blue chippers rolling in before Kelly & has Nike bank rolling the program. Marrone had to change a losing culture at a school in upstate NY.

Again, I don't know who the better coach will be in the NFL. But Chip Kelly was in a much, much better situation than Marrone so to just compare records is foolish.

See, this is the over reactionary commentary on C. Kelly that I love. You say he had "blue chippers?" when he got there? Name them please. This program in Eugene is not Penn state or Notre dame by any means.

What else is funny is Nike a local company based in Portland is mocked because they buy a team new unis (for marketing reasons obviously) and throw some money (like any D1 program) and this board has people that attack that? Why?

Because his detractors will always bring up that the Ducks rarely put anyone into the NFL. So which is it? This year their ranked 42nd in recruiting. I don't see that as a huge program built on recruiting, quite the opposite. Kelly's big recruit for 2013 supposedly is a local kid (where he gets a lot of players) that ran for 600 yards in a single game. The kid is from Beaverton.

Marone's record is 25-25 in the end, I hope succeeds in Buffalo. I am hopeful that he will in a FEW years turn it around. I personally need to learn more about the guy. I do find it odd that Brandon a sales and marketing guy by trade. Hired on the outer limit geograhpically of his Bills fanbase, and oh yea he's from there.

Nassib has a strong arm, but that's putting the QB in front of the draft, isn't it? B-)

I don't recall getting ticked off about him punting rather than going for a first down. I've seen LS's posts but it didn't job my memory. What you have to know is what was the game situation? What are the capabilities of the kicker (it's college, you may be outside his accurate range).

If anyone expects to agree with 100% of coaching decisions they will be disappointed.

Edit...you also have to factor in how the Syracuse defense was playing in a specific game. If they were dominating punting isn't a bad thing, is it?

Thanks Beerball. I was just kidding aout the punting thing. It all depends on the situation. I am going to be positive about this instead of my usual negativity. Its a new years resolution thing lol!

Really? I don't think I could tell you who call the plays for Alabama or Notre Dame. Can you? Not trying to argue with you but it is true that the Head Coach is ultimately responsible. Even Beerball has stated the same things concerning some questionable playcalling.

Do you watch each team closely? It's not a secret.

And yes, the buck stops with the head coach but a lot goes into that too. Is the head coach a poor play caller? Maybe a good OC helps that here. Is it a staff management issue? Is it a result of the talent he was afforded? LS can't answer that - he's just mad. That doesn't do much for assessing what to expect here. Why not ask questions instead of raging about it. "I didn't like the playcalling, was he the guy calling the plays?" Is much more reasonable than "omg I hate this so much what an awful choice it's the worst"

Each one of those situations depends on the situational circumstance precluding it. There are perfectly legitimate reasons for a coach to decide to do any of those things. That's not a defense of Gailey's decisions, only a different way of saying, "never say never."

GO BILLS!!!

It really boils down to, Marrone didn't do what LS wanted him to do so therefor he thinks he sucks. I suppose LS could do better that is why he is a coaching candidate, i guess.

My thoughts on the hire:

1] There is a lot to like about him, and not a lot to dislike, but a lot to be very concerned over because he hasn't done it yet.

2] He surely is ready for it. Was there any coach who got four different teams into him?

3] The big key is who he brings in a DC. That may tell a lot about his entire staff.

4] I read somewhere last week, although I don't know the source, that it was Whaley who was really behind the Marrone pick at the start.

5] I like the young, different offensive thinking, aggressive guy. That's the best part of it.

6] He definitely knows the NFL, from his pedigree, and it's obviously great that a lot of guys like him. The thing we don't know is do they just like him as a guy or as a football mind. Everyone loved Jauron and Chan, too, but it was because they were great guys more than great coaches.

7] It matters not what we think now. It matters how he does, probably the second half of his first season.

8] Nassib is an unknown to me, so I will reserve judgment on that.

9] This is not a marketing hire at all, and it's really foolish to think so.

10] Let's start building a staff!

Excellent post.

It seems that a large segment of the fan base has been so abused that they can't get beyond their psychology of negativity. With the recent transfer of authority from the outdated owner to Brandon I have noticed a refreshing change of doing business from a mercurial and whimsical way to a more professional and organizaed manner.

In a very compact and business-like approach the organization interviewed all the main candidates for the HCing position. It is my understanding that none of the reasonable candidates on the market declined to be considered. An orderly process was conducted and a decision was made. I was very impressed with the way the search for a HC was handled. The old way of having candidates brought before the clueless owner was embarrassing.

Marrone was an excellent choice. He has NFL experience and more impressively he took a moribound SU program and in releatively short order brought it up to a level of respectability. As you noted the next step for him is putting together a good staff.

The main challenge for this organization and its braintrust is not the selection of a HC, although it is critically important. It is bolstering the roster and finding a legitimate franchise qb. Saban is a giant in the college coaching ranks. But his stint in the NFL was less than satisfactory because he was not able to secure a franchise qb. The Miami organization on the advice of its medical staff made a fateful decision on Brees that crippled any chance of success for its highly celebrated head coach.

Getting a quality HC is very important. I'm confident that Marrone is a good choice. But in the end what really matters is the quality of the roster and having a legitimate franchise qb. That is the real issue. It appears (post Wilson) business is being conducted in a normal and rational manner. For a change I have a glimmer of hope.

LOL that does sound funny.

I mean:

Punting from the 37 yard line.

Passing on 3rd and 1.

Running on 3rd and 10 (one of my biggest pet peeves - draw plays on 3rd and 10).

You dont watch much college do you? Its much different than the NFL.

For the record, Marrone did NOT call the plays when he was the Saints offensive coordinator.

I do agree I hate punting from that close but there are situations that call for it (a lead, questionable kicker, a good d you trust).

The 49ers run on 3rd & long all the time. A ton of teams pass on 3rd & short. Putting three instances into a vacuum is just foolish. If the play didn't work, they should have done the other thing. If a guy busts a draw on 3rd & long, coach is a genius.

My bottom line is that while he wasn't my 1st choice, he is a very good coach who transformed a losing program into a solid one again. The next Cuse coach will be in much much better shape to succeed. I think Marrone is a good coach & at least the Bills did something other than what they've been doing.

And yes, the buck stops with the head coach but a lot goes into that too. Is the head coach a poor play caller? Maybe a good OC helps that here. Is it a staff management issue? Is it a result of the talent he was afforded? LS can't answer that - he's just mad. That doesn't do much for assessing what to expect here. Why not ask questions instead of raging about it. "I didn't like the playcalling, was he the guy calling the plays?" Is much more reasonable than "omg I hate this so much what an awful choice it's the worst"

As I, and two others now, have stated - it all comes down to the Head Coach either way.

You can dismiss that until the cows come home. But its true.

There is no tantrum here. I just know what I have seen for the last 3-4 years watching Cuse football. Has he done a decent job? Yes. But his flaws are FATAL in the NFL. His play-calls will drive you NUTS at times.

Absolutely. But these were situations that did not demand those play calls.

His play calls, or him not taking the responsibility away?

Was there a reason, based on talent that they'd be called as such?

Marrone's best year at Syracuse may have been hist first when he won only four games. He somehow managed to field teams competitive against top 20 D1 programs with miniscule rosters after telling nearly half the scholarship players to get lost.

http://dailyorange.com/2012/12/marrones-punishments-of-spruill-rene-hypocritical-to-no-nonsense-approach/

He makes Caughlin look like Jauron as a disciplinarian and he is not afraid to do it his own way. Its not a certainty he will succeed in Buffalo where seemingly no one can but there is a potential for a huge upside with this hire that the fans should be optimistic about.

It really boils down to, Marrone didn't do what LS wanted him to do so therefor he thinks he sucks. I suppose LS could do better that is why he is a coaching candidate, i guess.

Ok. If you liked Gailey's play calling in those situations then you will love Marrone. I'll leave it at that.

Can the troll please step away from the keyboard? Go get some lunch or something.......you know who you are.

On topic: I am only upset that 'Cuse has to find a replacement now. Doug did a lot for that program and I hope they have continued success in the ACC next year w/his replacement.

I only watch the Bills closely. LOL

As I, and two others now, have stated - it all comes down to the Head Coach either way.

You can dismiss that until the cows come home. But its true.

But it's a widely different issue depending on why. Your answer amounts to "I don't know but I'm still right"

Lame.