Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first Bills hire in a long time (Gregg Williams?) who was hired while his career was on an upward trajectory. By all accounts this is a rising star who was gonna get a HC job very soon. By contrast, Lovie and Wiz had worn out their welcomes, just as Gailey, Jauron and Mularkey had done before the Bills hired them. (People don't remember it, but Mularkey was constantly besieged in Pittsburgh for running a gimmicky offense; Jauron was hated in Chicago for embodying mediocrity). This was the right hire to energize the fanbase. Unfortunately, this hire (and this thread, in particular) is going to be a lightening rod for mouthbreathing idiot zombies (i.e., your typical sports radio caller) until Marrone actually starts to show progress.

Didn't Lovie go 10-6 this year We haven't seen 10-6 in like what a decade my kids are 11 and 7 and never have seen a winning bills team period! guess that trend continues.......

Whats with all the negativity. Do you all have a crystal ball that can see into the future. Lets see who he hires for his staff first and play a few games before you make any assumptions that he is going to be a bad coach. I for one is going to be cautiously optimistic about this hire because he could turn out to be a good coach but who knows I am not not very good at seeing into the future as the rest of you guys think you are.

Are you sure you are a Bills fan? We have seen it all before. Too many years of losing has made us pessimistic, and rightfully so. This hiring has #SameOldBills written all over it

I like the choice.

Marrone's a coach with NFL and college experience. He's had success at just about every stop. His offenses have been solid. He's shown the ability to develop a quarterback. He's demonstrated a willingness to adjust his offensive philosophy to suit personnel and conditions.

Anybody else notice how well ground and pound worked in the Yankee Stadium snow? This was a dome team, folks, a dome team that had been a pass-first offense.

Throw in the facts that his defenses have been competent and that he's never been fired. I'm optimistic.

This is another LOSER hire on the cheap. The guy was .500 at Syracuse 25-25. He broke even in college!!! How low are the standards around here that people are trying to convince themselves and others that this is a good hire? Here's his record at 'cuse: Syracuse Orange (Big East Conference) (2009–present) 2009 Syracuse 4–8 1–6 T–7th 2010 Syracuse 8–5 4–3 4th W Pinstripe 2011 Syracuse 5–7 1–6 T–7th 2012 Syracuse 8–5 5–2 T–1st W Pinstripe Syracuse: 25–25 11–17 Total: 25–25

Last year he was 5-7. This year 8-5 and a trip to the Pinstripe Bowl. WOO HOO!!! Book your playoff tickets now.

Just another 3-4 year losing experiment! The Bills will not move out of the basement with another hire on the cheap!!!

Are you sure you are a Bills fan? We have seen it all before. Too many years of losing has made us pessimistic, and rightfully so. This hiring has #SameOldBills written all over it

Same old Bills like all those other first time NFL coaches that they've pulled from college?

Didn't Lovie go 10-6 this year We haven't seen 10-6 in like what a decade my kids are 11 and 7 and never have seen a winning bills team period! guess that trend continues.......

I liked the idea of Smith. And 10-6 sounds great to me. But I think that's the ceiling. A likely return to repectability-- Smith was great. A Super Bowl win-- I like the chance more with Marrone. So I guess we might be shooting for the moon, but that seems reasonable. It's more of a gamble, but seems like a good gamble to me.

Same old Bills like all those other first time NFL coaches that they've pulled from college?

No as in going for the uninspiring no-name guy they can get on the cheap. And I wouldn't be bragging about first time NFL coaches from college. Besides Harbaugh (who was a great NFL qb for years and had credibility coming from a great coaching family) name another first time coach from the college ranks that has done well in the NFL.

What would Lovie or Whisenhunt hirings have been?

We would have hated any coach. Lovie, Whis...retreads. Kelly...no NFL experience. Gotta say I'm stunned by Marrone.

Maybe it says something that they went for the younger unknown instead of one of the retreads/known mediocres. Or maybe it's all a regional marketing ploy. But it's an interesting move, for sure. When's the last time we had a HC younger than 50? Mularkey probably?