Quarterbacks in the Draft

I was surprised to hear Kiper say he still thought Glennon would be the first qb off the board. He said it on ESPN radio after Glennon's bowl game.

I've watched as many highlight reels on YouTube of all these QBs and Glennon was most impressive to me. I know, who am I! But we've all watched tons off football and QBs and all we have are our preferences based an what we've seen in the nfl.

Too many QBs get too much credit for playing at powerhouse schools.... Think any USC QB. Many others get too discounted because they were on poor teams with maybe not with mind blowing numbers. Or in lower conferences. Roethlisberger comes to mind... I mean his college team is in UB's conference like Dysert!!!!! Flacco played at Delaware!

My point is, it's the skill set moreso than the college or conference. So when you look at Glennon's, it's hard to argue he can't be the top QB from this class.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched as many highlight reels on YouTube of all these QBs and Glennon was most impressive to me. I know, who am I! But we've all watched tons off football and QBs and all we have are our preferences based an what we've seen in the nfl.

Too many QBs get too much credit for playing at powerhouse schools.... Think any USC QB. Many others get too discounted because they were on poor teams with maybe not with mind blowing numbers. Or in lower conferences. Roethlisberger comes to mind... I mean his college team is in UB's conference like Dysert!!!!! Flacco played at Delaware!

My point is, it's the skill set moreso than the college or conference. So when you look at Glennon's, it's hard to argue he can't be the top QB from this class.

Thats right. I have even seen Tom Brady and Peyton have bad games.

High pressure stage? Not all bowl games matter. Lasts night Cotton bowl meant very little except for cash and bragging rights. The Pinstripe bowl...nothing at stake. Now, that Fiesta bowl, little on the line.

Point being, its just 1 game, many times a meaningless game. Plus there's the whole month layover. Its just not a valid measure IMO

Please don't tell that to the two teams. Every team cherishes playing in a post-season game. It means national recognition for their program.

Now that we know who the coach of the Bills is going to be, we can at least guess the TYPE of QB. He has to be smart, disciplined accurate and able to run the WEST Coast Offense. That would leave out Geno Smith, Tyler Bray, and maybe Wilson. Barkley and Nassib are the only ones that fit the system.

Jarvus...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... To 3-4 teams, Jarvis Jones is gold and a top 10 pick. To us, he's a reach at 8.

If he's the pick, I'd welcome him with open arms, but I'm not convinced that he's the right guy for us. Not yet. The spinal issue scares me too.

Edited by DStebb716

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... To 3-4 teams, Jarvis Jones is gold and a top 10 pick. To us, he's a reach at 8.

If he's the pick, I'd welcome him with open arms, but I'm not convinced that he's the right guy for us. Not yet. The spinal issue scares me too.

He's possibly the best player in the entire draft. No matter what defense you run, he's not a reach at #8.

I've watched all the passing plays of Tyler Wilson's week 8 game against Ole Miss and week 12 game against LSU.

This kid is extremely talented and very tough. I like him a lot. I'd like to hear more about how many concussions he's had and when they occurred.

I like Tyler Wilson very much.

Agreed.

I'm more intrigued by this kid than any other QB in the draft right now.

Now that we know who the coach of the Bills is going to be, we can at least guess the TYPE of QB. He has to be smart, disciplined accurate and able to run the WEST Coast Offense. That would leave out Geno Smith, Tyler Bray, and maybe Wilson. Barkley and Nassib are the only ones that fit the system.

Why does that exclude Smith or Wilson?

I had to realize that with this class in coming to decide if we even should take one of these guys. People were calling for Nassib Im like who the hell is that? He goes to Cuse who came outta there then I remembered McNabb. I still don't trust none of them they don't have that it factor to me. It seems like the 99' Draft Tim Couch,Donovan McNabb, Akil Smith, Cade McKnown, Daunte Culpepper draft all over again. 3 Busts 1 Avg 1 Great quarterback, who knows which is which and I for one don't want to blow it.

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

Agreed.

I'm more intrigued by this kid than any other QB in the draft right now.

In the next few months I'll start watching all the videos and making up my fave list.

But Tyler Wilson looks great to me. He can make all the throws and a natural feel for the game. Almost every throw he makes seems to be the perfect trajectory and velocity.

He seems to instinctively throw with appropriate touch every time and he can gun the ball when the occasion calls for it.

I like several QBs from this draft, but I was curious about two things.

1. How many people are high on Zac Dysert? I think he has the potential to rocket up draft boards.

2. Am I the only one that is thinking that we should take two QBs fairly high (anywhere in rounds 1-4, a la Griffin and Cousins)?

I'm curious why you preferred Landry Jones in the first if you think Bray is the most talented QB in this year's draft class. Did you just think Jones was more NFL ready in year 1 than Bray? I ask because I don't know much about him.

Jones is more ready but just don't think he will be elite. Bray has sick skills but needs a ton of work on reading defenses. Watch Tennessee vs NC State highlights and you would think he was Marino, I watched the whole game and thought wow this kid can really sling it but as the season went on he really regressed by throwing int's and not converting 3rd downs.

In the next few months I'll start watching all the videos and making up my fave list.

But Tyler Wilson looks great to me. He can make all the throws and a natural feel for the game. Almost every throw he makes seems to be the perfect trajectory and velocity.

He seems to instinctively throw with appropriate touch every time and he can gun the ball when the occasion calls for it.

too bad he had such a bad situation this year, he looked great last year but this year was awful, hopefully he rebounds.

Predicting a draftee QB's NFL ability is akin to predicting what the weather will be like one week from now.

Guesses will vary in accordance with individual knowledge and opinion.....but only the people who live in a different place to most on the planet will be convinced that their answer is definitively correct.

I think we can now say it'll be Ryan Nassib. Hopefully in the 2nd round and not a ridiculous reach in the first.

I dont think it would be a reach in the 1st. Ill give you Ponder/Locker/Gabbert as evidence that mid round QBs WILL BE DRAFTED IN THE 1ST ROUND.

I think it would be stupid for the Bills to wait for the 2nd round pick to come up, when every QB needy team drafts in front of them in the 2nd round.

I had to realize that with this class in coming to decide if we even should take one of these guys. People were calling for Nassib Im like who the hell is that? He goes to Cuse who came outta there then I remembered McNabb. I still don't trust none of them they don't have that it factor to me. It seems like the 99' Draft Tim Couch,Donovan McNabb, Akil Smith, Cade McKnown, Daunte Culpepper draft all over again. 3 Busts 1 Avg 1 Great quarterback, who knows which is which and I for one don't want to blow it.

We should get Mike Vick!!! That dude was amazing in 2003!!!

ponder/locker/gabbert/nassib all scrubs IMO. scrubs with potential.

Funny, no one mentions those guys when they talk about QBs the Bills passed on. I liked Locker the best out of them but he was raw as hell. My friend who is the biggest FSU fan in the world couldn't believe Ponder went in the 1st. And Gabbert threw like 18 tds passes in a spread pass happy offense.

The one thing I'll say about Nassib is he did more with less. The Cuse has a pretty good line but their best receiver (Cuse all time leader) will be lucky if he gets drafted. I like QBs who have to carry teams. And if they honestly believe he is a legit franchise QB, who draft him at #8 and don't risk missing on him. Personally, I'd love him in the second if we can address a need in the first (Te'o). Personally, I'm praying Smith and Barkley drop. I think they are both legit franchise guys who went from getting overhyped to undervalued.

If you have been following the quarterbacks in this draft class you will notice a lot of stinkers. Here's the breakdown,

Currently Landry Jones is stinking up the Cotton Bowl. Pass on this one.

Geno Smith sucked the big one in the snow New Era Pinstripe bowl. Pass.

Mike Glennon 3 picks in a loss in the Music City Bowl. Pass.

Barkley out with an injury, a Sanchez clone. Pass.

There is only 3 I would even consider drafting and none in the first round.Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson and Ryan Nassib. The Bills should take the Best Available player with the 8th pick in the draft. In the second round take one of the 3 QB's.

"

I like Tyler Wilson, but I like the idea of bringing in someone like Alex Smith to start until he is ready

I like Tyler Wilson, but I like the idea of bringing in someone like Alex Smith to start until he is ready

Why? Alex Smith is a slightly better version on Fitz. Trust me, the guy won't come close to his stat line on the Bills. He was carried by the #1 defense and a coach that puts him in good situations. Draft a guy you like and start him from the jump.

Why? Alex Smith is a slightly better version on Fitz. Trust me, the guy won't come close to his stat line on the Bills. He was carried by the #1 defense and a coach that puts him in good situations. Draft a guy you like and start him from the jump.

What if the guy drafted is not ready to start? What then? They can't just throw him in there if he's not ready to start. If not Alex Smith, fine, but someone needs to be brought in.

What if the guy drafted is not ready to start? What then? They can't just throw him in there if he's not ready to start. If not Alex Smith, fine, but someone needs to be brought in.

Let him learn on the job. 3 rookie were in the playoffs this year. You gotta get the learning out of the way. Personally, I learn better when I actually have to do it myself rather than someone tell me how to do it.

Let him learn on the job. 3 rookie were in the playoffs this year. You gotta get the learning out of the way. Personally, I learn better when I actually have to do it myself rather than someone tell me how to do it.

I agree with this take...Personally I think the whole "bridge QB" thing is a waste of time...Why would Alex Smith want to go cross-country to be in the exact same situation he was just in? I mean, if nothing else give the guy a break!!! :lol:

If you're going to take a young guy high, and you think enough about him to do so...Play him...Figure out a way to get him experience while he learns...Mold an Offense around him that is simpler, but allows him to see what NFL Defense do on the field...If he's the QB you think he is, you'll see the payoff in year #2...And if he's REALLY good he might even win you a few games in year #1... B-)

So much of what Buffalo should do depends on what they want to do in the draft. If they want to try to pick up a stellar LB or DE in the 1st round and try to get their QB of the future in a later round, then they need to decide whether they want to have a rookie starting this year, or whether they want to get their starter - at least until the competition pans out - in F.A., someone like Alex Smith. If they want to get a guy in the draft that can start successfully immediately, they'll have to be willing to trade back up into the first to get him, and even then he'll likely be the 3rd or 4th QB taken.

I happen to think this is the best approach: pick up a guy like Alex Smith, if he's available with a moderate salary demand. Then draft your star LB in the first round, add to that star talent in the front 7. Draft a guy like Landry Jones, Tyler Bray, Glennon, Nassib, Boyd, Dysert - in the second or by trading back into the later part of rd 1. Then add as much top talent (even by trading up, if need be) to the defense and WR corps, and even a QB with potential who might fall, like Dysert or Boyd.

I think we can look forward to seeing enough talent across the board on this Bills team by the start of next season to be really excited about. And, frankly, when it comes to drafting a QB - I happen to think there are potentially 7 or 8 QB's who could end up playing in the NFL in this year's draft (Geno Smith, Mike Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones, Tyler Bray, Mike Glennon, Ryan Nassib, Tahj Boyd, Zac Dysert, and E.J. Manuel) - I just think it's really difficult to choose which ones will be really good, and which ones will end up being second stringers. I wouldn't be surprised to see Boyd, Nassib, or Bray ending up being the next young star QB, and so it's almost a blessing that Buffalo has this draft this year. We can potentially get a good QB in the 2nd or even later rounds.

I'm an NC State Wolfpack season ticket holder and have watched Mike Glennon closely for two years. If there's a dark horse in this, it's him. He has the tool set. He needs what all rookies will need.. good coaching and a decent OLine. At this point, I dont think there's a rookie out there that will succeed in BUF. Every QB in here since Flutie has been setup to fail. Next season will be no different. You simply cant judge in advance what an NFL rookie QB will or wont do. It's very dependent upon the organization as a whole. RG3 and Luck are extreme exceptions that both happened in the same season. Quite rare and highly unlikely to be repeated with any of next season's rookie QBs. I would feel more sorry for Glennon if the Bills took him than I would BUF not getting a good QB. This team does one thing really well and that's destroy young QBs.

I'm an NC State Wolfpack season ticket holder and have watched Mike Glennon closely for two years. If there's a dark horse in this, it's him. He has the tool set. He needs what all rookies will need.. good coaching and a decent OLine. At this point, I dont think there's a rookie out there that will succeed in BUF. Every QB in here since Flutie has been setup to fail. Next season will be no different. You simply cant judge in advance what an NFL rookie QB will or wont do. It's very dependent upon the organization as a whole. RG3 and Luck are extreme exceptions that both happened in the same season. Quite rare and highly unlikely to be repeated with any of next season's rookie QBs. I would feel more sorry for Glennon if the Bills took him than I would BUF not getting a good QB. This team does one thing really well and that's destroy young QBs.

Oh sure...if not for those darn Buffalo Bills, JP Losman and Trent Edwards would have had stellar NFL careers.

Glennon looks like a very poor NFL QB prospect. This year's Blaine Gabbert.

What a defeatist attitude, and an opinion that means absolutely nothing at this stage. We're talking, for all intents and purposes, about a brand new organization moving forward -- coached by a former offensive lineman, no less! If the current Bills roster has a strength, it is on the OL and the running game. There may arguably be no better place in the league for a rookie QB to come in and play than in Buffalo.

They both had potential and both got stomped on due to our non-existent OLine. You get thumped enough times in the head and you wont be any good at your job either. Dont know if you're any good at it now, but let's assume you are.

Oh sure...if not for those darn Buffalo Bills, JP Losman and Trent Edwards would have had stellar NFL careers.

Glennon looks like a very poor NFL QB prospect. This year's Blaine Gabbert.

Best line of the day..."brand new organization" :) my god, too funny.

What a defeatist attitude, and an opinion that means absolutely nothing at this stage. We're talking, for all intents and purposes, about a brand new organization moving forward -- coached by a former offensive lineman, no less! If the current Bills roster has a strength, it is on the OL and the running game. There may arguably be no better place in the league for a rookie QB to come in and play than in Buffalo.

:thumbsup: gotta love the defeatists who ignore all logic! no coach will come here and anyone we draft will bust! cool story bro

Let's get this rocket armed rookie as qb1 asap!

I like several QBs from this draft, but I was curious about two things.

1. How many people are high on Zac Dysert? I think he has the potential to rocket up draft boards.

2. Am I the only one that is thinking that we should take two QBs fairly high (anywhere in rounds 1-4, a la Griffin and Cousins)?

I am VERY high on Dysert. I've watched film on all the QBs in this year's draft, and I think Dysert is going to climb draft boards and be considered one of the better options on draft day. People are in love with Glennon's "potential" and "tools". Dysert has exhibited how talented he is with lesser talent on his team.

I dont understand the Tyler Wilson love. I watched him. I was so underwhelmed it made me a bit sad. Mostly because I wanted to see something great and it just didn't happen. He under threw a long ball so bad that the defender stopped in his tracks, turned around, and caught it for the interception. He hops too much and he looks like he is putting his entire body into a throw just to get it to the sideline.

I dont want him.