Quarterbacks in the Draft

If you have been following the quarterbacks in this draft class you will notice a lot of stinkers. Here's the breakdown,

Currently Landry Jones is stinking up the Cotton Bowl. Pass on this one.

Geno Smith sucked the big one in the snow New Era Pinstripe bowl. Pass.

Mike Glennon 3 picks in a loss in the Music City Bowl. Pass.

Barkley out with an injury, a Sanchez clone. Pass.

There is only 3 I would even consider drafting and none in the first round.Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson and Ryan Nassib. The Bills should take the Best Available player with the 8th pick in the draft. In the second round take one of the 3 QB's.

"

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have been following the quarterbacks in this draft class you will notice a lot of stinkers. Here's the breakdown,

There is only 3 I would even consider drafting and none in the first round.Tyler Bray, Tyler Wilson and Ryan Nassib. The Bills should take the Best Available player with the 8th pick in the draft. In the second round take one of the 3 QB's.

"

I am no big Barkley fan...That much is on record...But this stuff about being a Sanchez clone? Come on...There has to be better ways to say you don't like him...They are not the same person... B-)

"

Makes a lot of sense!!! Rarely do I agree with someone.....Take the best veteran free-agent available whomever that would be. I really am not that crazy about Alex Smith, but I'd rather have him and a 2nd and 5th round QB from the draft than the 3 stooges we now have! :thumbsup:

"

Only following college QBs in the bowl games is really not following them at all.

Only following college QBs in the bowl games is really not following them at all.

+1

The bowls aren't meaningless, but they're just a fraction of the story. I have some concerns about Glennon, but they're based on a 6 or 7 times I saw him this year, not a single game. The idea that Bray and Wilson are acceptable solely because they didn't play in bowls (and thus risk looking bad) is amusing.

How a QB performs on a high pressure stage doesn't mean spit? I'll agree that it's only 1 game, and is a small piece of the evaluation process, but it certainly matters...

High pressure stage? Not all bowl games matter. Lasts night Cotton bowl meant very little except for cash and bragging rights. The Pinstripe bowl...nothing at stake. Now, that Fiesta bowl, little on the line.

Point being, its just 1 game, many times a meaningless game. Plus there's the whole month layover. Its just not a valid measure IMO

High pressure stage? Not all bowl games matter. Lasts night Cotton bowl meant very little except for cash and bragging rights. The Pinstripe bowl...nothing at stake. Now, that Fiesta bowl, little on the line.

Point being, its just 1 game, many times a meaningless game. Plus there's the whole month layover. Its just not a valid measure IMO

For many of these guys, it is their ONLY national spotlight game and it's usually against good competition. If I'm one of these QBs agents, I'm telling him it's vitally important that he make a statement and create some hype about himself. I don't think you can ignore it.

I think you overstate your point by quite a bit.

We're talking about two top 20 teams on National TV. The prestige of conferences and programs. Millions of dollars from bowl committees. Boosters, alumni, administrators in attendance. Families. Friends. That's a lot of pressure on these kids.

And that's not even to mention how much their performance as individuals might affect their draft stock for the NFL.

Except possibly for a very few regular season games like Alabama-Auburn, Michigan-Ohio State (or in the conferences that have playoffs), these players will not experience playing in games with so much at stake.

Yes it's only one game but it's a pressure-packed game and how a quarterback plays in these games could be very revealing as to how they will perform at the next level.

So did Taj Boyd against the closest thing to an NFL defense any college QB will see

As described in the live game thread, it was a heroic and courageous performance.

How many big hits did Boyd take? Between one and two dozen for sure. His team simply could not protect him.

And yet he never became timid or defeated. That was a great performance and Boyd is a great prospect. He is very similar to what is becoming the modern prototype: a bit shorter but extremely athletic and very strong. He has a thick, powerful build and a very strong arm. Love this kid.

I think you overstate your point by quite a bit.

We're talking about two top 20 teams on National TV. The prestige of conferences and programs. Millions of dollars from bowl committees. Boosters, alumni, administrators in attendance. Families. Friends. That's a lot of pressure on these kids.

And that's not even to mention how much their performance as individuals might affect their draft stock for the NFL.

Except possibly for a very few regular season games like Alabama-Auburn, Michigan-Ohio State (or in the conferences that have playoffs), these players will not experience playing in games with so much at stake.

Yes it's only one game but it's a pressure-packed game and how a quarterback plays in these games could be very revealing as to how they will perform at the next level.

As described in the live game thread, it was a heroic and courageous performance.

How many big hits did Boyd take? Between one and two dozen for sure. His team simply could not protect him.

And yet he never became timid or defeated. That was a great performance and Boyd is a great prospect. He is very similar to what is becoming the modern prototype: a bit shorter but extremely athletic and very strong. He has a thick, powerful build and a very strong arm. Love this kid.

Good post

I am no big Barkley fan...That much is on record...But this stuff about being a Sanchez clone? Come on...There has to be better ways to say you don't like him...They are not the same person... B-)

What I meant is that there is a history of USC QB;s Sanchez, Leinart, and Palmer that shows that it's the schools system that makes them look good and they are exposed when they leave.

Bowl games don't mean sh*t

Sure they do, they expose how a player will play in a big game in the spotlight. If they will choke like Tony Romo or excel like Tom Brady.