Quarterbacks in the Draft

Everyone knew that Mallet is not going to come in and upseat Tom Brady. He was going to be their insurance policy in case Brady got injured (and he did not since the arrival of Mallet). Without real game time experience, you don't really know what you are going to get other than knowing that he is a strong arm QB that made all the throws in college.

Since he was drafted in the 3rd round, I am sure Belichek is not going to give him away for anything less than a 3rd rounder. A 2nd rounder could be a possibility if Belichek creates a demand for him by dangling him in the trade block. The key is that in a Weak draft class, Mallet may be worth giving a 2nd or 3rd rounder rather than investing that on a Mike Glennon or other QBs that don't appear to have many weakness in their game.

That doesn't make sense.

Why would we give a divisional rival a 2nd(or 3rd) round pick for a player who was 3rd round potential 2 years ago instead of spending said pick in the draft and getting a player of 2nd(or 3rd) round potential ourselves?

A lot of people are acting like "weak QB draft class" means that every QB this year has less potential than all of the 1st-4th round QBs selected last year. The reality likely is that since there is no clear star QB(Luck) or "fingers crossed" star QB(RG3), the class is considered weak. How would Smith, Barkley, Wilson, Nassib, Glennon etc match up against how Tannehill, Weeden or Osweiler were perceived at this point last year?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't make sense.

Why would we give a divisional rival a 2nd(or 3rd) round pick for a player who was 3rd round potential 2 years ago instead of spending said pick in the draft and getting a player of 2nd(or 3rd) round potential ourselves?

A lot of people are acting like "weak QB draft class" means that every QB this year has less potential than all of the 1st-4th round QBs selected last year. The reality likely is that since there is no clear star QB(Luck) or "fingers crossed" star QB(RG3), the class is considered weak. How would Smith, Barkley, Wilson, Nassib, Glennon etc match up against how Tannehill, Weeden or Osweiler were perceived at this point last year?

I think that is a great point, Dibs. A lot of perceptions can and will change after the all-star games and combine. I'd bet dollars to donuts some of those guys are going to wind up first round draft picks -- and note, that doesn't mean I think they have first round talent. As we've all heard ad nauseum, it's a QB-driven league and teams will "reach" to get the guy they think can be "the man" down the road.

If the Bills braintrust of Marrone, Whaley, and Nix believe one of the QBs coming out has the tools to lead this team for the next 10 years, pull the trigger -- I don't care if the pundits label it a reach.

That doesn't make sense.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that we should not draft these QBs coming out of college. I am just looking at alternate choices if we were not able to get the desired QB in this weak draft. I believe Tannehill, Weeden, Osweiler all were perceived as the "not sure" QBs prior to the draft, but still were taken by QB needy teams.

I just watched some video on Nassib, after not watching him play much. please no on this kid before the 4th round.

the positives

-he seems like he has some good arm strength

-he is mobile enough, but not a burner,

-seems to not be afraid of anybody on the field

-he is ok at throwing on the run

the negatives

-his accuracy is skeptical although he does a lot of throwing on the run. there are a few nice balls, but sets his receivers up to get killed or very little run after catch

-he seems to operate in a single read system. if it't not there he hesitates. rarely finds another reciever

-pocket presence is pretty poor. takes sacks with just a little pressure or extra rusher

i did really like that wr lemon. quite solid

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that we should not draft these QBs coming out of college. I am just looking at alternate choices if we were not able to get the desired QB in this weak draft. I believe Tannehill, Weeden, Osweiler all were perceived as the "not sure" QBs prior to the draft, but still were taken by QB needy teams.

If we can't get the desired QB with the #8 & the 2nd round #10 pick when we have acknowledged that obtaining a QB is the number one priority then I will be starting to have doubts about the new direction this team has shown to make over the past 2 off-seasons.

I rarely make predictions as I believe that the variables in most situations are incalculable.....but.....I will predict that by the time we hit the draft there will be 3 QBs projected as top 15 picks and we will select one of them with the #8 pick.

Two interesting tidbits on Nassib Today.

Brent Axe was on The Fan 1270 and said Nassib can make all the throws, probably would benefit from learning as the backup for a year or two.

And Schein touches on this as well in his article.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000123802/article/doug-marrone-can-solve-buffalo-bills-ryan-fitzpatrick-problem?campaign=Twitter_Schein

Is he a long term franchise player? Who knows.