OT: Pegula blocks Browns

How is this legal in college? Isn't this a form of boosting?

I believe boosting is only for the players (student-athletes) from my understanding. Since it is already a paid position it basically just ends up as a salary bonus.

http://basketball.about.com/od/recruiting/a/Are-You-A-Booster.htm

It's for basketball but college rules mostly apply the same for all sports when it comes to boosters.

Edited by The Wiz

Nice to see that he's donating money to a cause that furthers the institution's sole purpose of education and research.

Yeah, I'll go out on a limb and say that most supporters of college athletics aren't overly concerned about academics.

As a Syracuse grad, I care more about how the players perform on the field/court than in the classroom. So long as they stay eligible...

And I'm more concerned with whether Marrone stays at SU, than whether an established academic faculty member stays or goes.

May not be right, but that's the way it is...

What a great guy. Thank god money wasn't a motivator:

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

Why did OBrien stay? Agent: "The commitment he made to the existing team & incoming recruits was far stronger than the allure of an NFL job"

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

More from agent Joe Linta on #PennSt Bill O'Brien: "His word and his integrity meant more than any possible NFL interest. He loves his job."

Edited by Punch

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

Why did OBrien stay? Agent: "The commitment he made to the existing team & incoming recruits was far stronger than the allure of an NFL job"

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

More from agent Joe Linta on #PennSt Bill O'Brien: "His word and his integrity meant more than any possible NFL interest. He loves his job."

Yeah the spin is really insulting.

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet

Sometimes a guy interviews for reasons other than "I want to coach the browns"

Upping his profile can get him more juice on campus, nfl respect translates to recruiting legitimacy, and a few easy bucks on the side doesn't hurt.

It's possible he had no serious eyes in Cleveland.

Yeah, I'll go out on a limb and say that most supporters of college athletics aren't overly concerned about academics.

As a Syracuse grad, I care more about how the players perform on the field/court than in the classroom. So long as they stay eligible...

And I'm more concerned with whether Marrone stays at SU, than whether an established academic faculty member stays or goes.

May not be right, but that's the way it is...

I'm not trying to judge here, but that's kinda screwed up logic. I know you're not alone, however.

Haha, what was Pegula thinking?

i have zero faith in anyone who blames buffalo news reporters for the sabres' ineptitude. and less faith in someone who keeps the coaches who are actually responsible for it.

oh wait -- aren't we just supposed to be thankful that some billionare owner was gracious enough to bestow a sports franchise to our poor, unfortunate little town? can los angeles support another hockey team?

i have zero faith in anyone who blames buffalo news reporters for the sabres' ineptitude. and less faith in someone who keeps the coaches who are actually responsible for it.

oh wait -- aren't we just supposed to be thankful that some billionare owner was gracious enough to bestow a sports franchise to our poor, unfortunate little town? can los angeles support another hockey team?

Ha ha. This proves nothing ever makes a Buffalo sports fan happy.

PTR

Ha ha. This proves nothing ever makes a Buffalo sports fan happy.

PTR

why must you consistently defend mediocrity?

god forbid a buffalo fan expect one of his two hometown teams to (occasionally) make the playoffs.

start expecting more from your teams, promo. you've devoted 18,0000+ posts to the bills alone. don't you think you deserve a playoff game once a decade?

Edited by Dirtbag

Totally money motivated it seems.

And O'Brien has the audacity, the gall, to try to spin it as if it's not about the money.

I'd forgive him if he spared us the rhetoric and the propaganda. The lies.

We know it's about the money. Don't insult our intelligence with some ridiculous public comments.

Even your players don't believe you.

Not only did Pegula help the school he's a fan from, I bet no NFL team offered to pay his $9 million buyout he owed. Totally money motivated it seems.

EDIT: Didn't see this before I posted, but PFT agrees: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/03/buyout-kept-obrien-at-penn-state/

Or he knew he had no real reason to leave but wanted to leverage it and make the program look good (for his own purposes still). His name as a guy teams fight for gives him much needed juice in a tough recruiting spot.

Even your players don't believe you.

This part really gets me--- any good will O'Brien has generated these past few months has to be wiped out by the money grab and blatant shoulder shrugging. Taking advantage of a weakened and desperate Penn State (not suggesting they don't deserve to be there) for financial gain after asking so many student-athletes to join him under the guise of a trusted relationship is in the poisoned spirit of the violations that got PSU in this situation in the first place.

Whatever his intentions, this is why it disturbs me to have Mr. Pegula involved in any way.

This part really gets me--- any good will O'Brien has generated these past few months has to be wiped out by the money grab and blatant shoulder shrugging. Taking advantage of a weakened and desperate Penn State (not suggesting they don't deserve to be there) for financial gain after asking so many student-athletes to join him under the guise of a trusted relationship is in the poisoned spirit of the violations that got PSU in this situation in the first place.

Whatever his intentions, this is why it disturbs me to have Mr. Pegula involved in any way.

Well said.

I couldn't agree more, Punch.

I guess those kids are getting a real education.

Or he knew he had no real reason to leave but wanted to leverage it and make the program look good (for his own purposes still). His name as a guy teams fight for gives him much needed juice in a tough recruiting spot.

I dunno, I actually view it more in a negative light. If I'm a recruit, do I want to play for a guy who is interviewing for NFL teams and is likely not going to be there all 4 years?

If I'm a recruit, do I want to play for a guy who is interviewing for NFL teams and is likely not going to be there all 4 years?

And look at the language he prepared:

"I'm not a one-and-done guy" O’Brien said. “I made a commitment to these players at Penn State and that’s what I am going to do. I’m not gonna cut and run after one year, that’s for sure.”

So he'll "cut and run" after two years?

Just once I'd like someone to be truthful and eloquent in their honesty.

Would anyone have attacked Obama if he simply said "I was a college student. It was the sixties. Many if not most of my peers were experimenting with drugs. I took a drag of a marijuana cigarette. I'm not proud of it but it's the truth. Please don't judge me by that."

But instead he said "I didn't inhale."

Lie.

If you want to actually teach these college kids, how about being truthful?

Would anyone have attacked Obama Clinton if he simply said "I was a college student. It was the sixties. Many if not most of my peers were experimenting with drugs. I took a drag of a marijuana cigarette. I'm not proud of it but it's the truth. Please don't judge me by that."

Bill said that. Obama has been very straightforward about his younger years, although it's not as politically risky as it was in the early 90s.

Edited by NickelCity

The last 24 hours have been emotional for me, as a penn stater. 24 hours ago I trusted O'Brien 100%. He came into a difficult situation, handled himself perfectly, embraced the success with honor mantra, recruited top notch high character kids ( see Adam Brenneman and Christian Hackensberg if you want to know who I am talking about here) and was everything I hoped the next penn state coach would be (although I was NOT in favor of his hire originally he won me over very quickly).

The last 24 hours has left me (and probably others) feelin betrayed. I think coach O'Brien can win me back, and I am going to reserve much further comment on my feelings toward him until more of the story comes out and I hear from O'Brien himself. If there is one thig I learned over the past 18 months its that initial reports are often wrong, the media often doesn't know what the truth is, and the general public is horribly misinformed in facts (and this conclusion is only partly based on the Sanduaky scandal, but there are countless other examples too).

Nobody from the obrien side has even confirmed an interview yet. Only that he "talked to teams". Symantics maybe, but it could also prive his intent to never leave in the first place. The rumors around PSU seem to indicate this wasn't necessarily a money grab. Rumor has it that some/Most of the salary increase may be going to his assistant coaches. O'Brien may have also played hard ball to get the AD to resign (well find out today if that is true, but it is a positive development if it is).

The other factor here is that O'Brien has a 19M buyout in his contract. That significantly hampers his future mobility. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that reduced if in fact he reworked his deal.

And lastly, the team and recruits. O'Brien may not be here in 2014. But name me one big time college program who's head coach is guaranteed to be there in 2014? Saban? Les Miles? Chris Peterson? Chip Kelly? Brian Kelly? They are all mobile and can leave at the drop of a hat. I hoped O'Brien was different, and I hoped that penn state was different, but maybe they are not.

I don't think this hurts with recruits. From what I have seen on twitter, O'Brien appears to have informed his staff and team to ignore the rumors. If in fact O'Brien said to them "I am going to be back next year, but I am going to interview with nfl teams to do X,Y, and Z". And that is exactly what happened....well there is all the trust you need.

And in top of that, if you are a top recruit, with nfl aspirations, wouldn't you want to play college football for a coach the NFL IS drooling over?

The last 24 hours have been emotional for me, as a penn stater. 24 hours ago I trusted O'Brien 100%. He came into a difficult situation, handled himself perfectly, embraced the success with honor mantra, recruited top notch high character kids ( see Adam Brenneman and Christian Hackensberg if you want to know who I am talking about here) and was everything I hoped the next penn state coach would be (although I was NOT in favor of his hire originally he won me over very quickly).

The last 24 hours has left me (and probably others) feelin betrayed. I think coach O'Brien can win me back, and I am going to reserve much further comment on my feelings toward him until more of the story comes out and I hear from O'Brien himself. If there is one thig I learned over the past 18 months its that initial reports are often wrong, the media often doesn't know what the truth is, and the general public is horribly misinformed in facts (and this conclusion is only partly based on the Sanduaky scandal, but there are countless other examples too).

Nobody from the obrien side has even confirmed an interview yet. Only that he "talked to teams". Symantics maybe, but it could also prive his intent to never leave in the first place. The rumors around PSU seem to indicate this wasn't necessarily a money grab. Rumor has it that some/Most of the salary increase may be going to his assistant coaches. O'Brien may have also played hard ball to get the AD to resign (well find out today if that is true, but it is a positive development if it is).

The other factor here is that O'Brien has a 19M buyout in his contract. That significantly hampers his future mobility. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that reduced if in fact he reworked his deal.

And lastly, the team and recruits. O'Brien may not be here in 2014. But name me one big time college program who's head coach is guaranteed to be there in 2014? Saban? Les Miles? Chris Peterson? Chip Kelly? Brian Kelly? They are all mobile and can leave at the drop of a hat. I hoped O'Brien was different, and I hoped that penn state was different, but maybe they are not.

I don't think this hurts with recruits. From what I have seen on twitter, O'Brien appears to have informed his staff and team to ignore the rumors. If in fact O'Brien said to them "I am going to be back next year, but I am going to interview with nfl teams to do X,Y, and Z". And that is exactly what happened....well there is all the trust you need.

And in top of that, if you are a top recruit, with nfl aspirations, wouldn't you want to play college football for a coach the NFL IS drooling over?

This must be a new slogan, one started within the past year?

And look at the language he prepared:

"I'm not a one-and-done guy" O’Brien said. “I made a commitment to these players at Penn State and that’s what I am going to do. I’m not gonna cut and run after one year, that’s for sure.”

So he'll "cut and run" after two years?

Would anyone have attacked Obama if he simply said "I was a college student. It was the sixties. Many if not most of my peers were experimenting with drugs. I took a drag of a marijuana cigarette. I'm not proud of it but it's the truth. Please don't judge me by that."

Lie.

If you want to actually teach these college kids, how about being truthful?

Obama was an unabashed weed smoker in the 80's.

Anyone catch ESPN after the Fiesta Bowl last night? John Clayton further established himself as a joke of a reporter -- he "covered" the O'Brien situation without a single reference to the huge payment made by Pegula and financial incentives that were the SOLE factor in O'Brien remaining at PSU. Everything was "he thought he owed it to the kids" -- what an embarrassment.