Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is defending Ralph Wilson? Ralph Wilson should absolutely sell the team and it's not a bad thing that he's no longer involved. What is incredibly disappointing about this news is that aside from the change at the top everything else is essentially staying the same. I don't think Buddy Nix has earned the right to stay as GM even if it just through the coaching search and the draft so he can get his QB or whatever. I would have been much happier if Doug Whaley had taken over today. I think even on the surface that would be viewed as a bigger move than this one.

Wish he would have demoted nix to O-line scout, that said I think Nix has done slightly better each draft with 2010 being a disaster, 2011 has potential and this years first two pick looking great but already cutting 4 picks from that draft is not a good sign with the lack of talent on this roster.

I actually Brandon may have had the best draft this decade in 09 when Marv stepped down and he drafted Wood, Levitre and Byrd. Of course Drafting Maybin was beyond retarded when we could have Mathews, Cushing or Orakpo but There was talk that Jauron influenced the Maybin pick.

Nix better find a QB or none of this will Matter.

Not just a QB, he had better find a decent QB AND a decent HC.

Does anyone really trust Buddy Nix to try and desperately reach for a QB in this years draft after missing on Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Christian Ponder the last 2 years?

6 of the 7 teams drafting ahead of the Bills all need a QB, this will be interesting if Nix gives up anything close to what the Redskins gave up for RG3 and he drafts a bum.

If they resign Levitre, Byrd and hire Lovie Smith I'll be a believer. I would still wait for 2014 to use a 1st round pick on a qb . A healthy OL should give even Fitz enough time to checkdown.

I wouldn't mind waiting till 2014 to draft one in RD1, but I think you take a QB like Nassib if he's available in RD2.

The current staff is barely 3 years old. The drought is 13. How are they at fault for the previous 10 years?

Many of the scouts have been in place far longer than 3 years. Not to mention Overdorf and his staff, responsible for executing trades and placing a value on players. Yes, that's right: our GM doesn't do trades, he delegates that to the capologist. This doesn't happen in normally running, non-dysfunctional franchises. Hiring David Caldwell to replace Buddy Nix would have been a phenomenal way to begin the Russ Brandon era.

Not just a QB, he had better find a decent QB AND a decent HC.

Does anyone really trust Buddy Nix to try and desperately reach for a QB in this years draft after missing on Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Christian Ponder the last 2 years?

6 of the 7 teams drafting ahead of the Bills all need a QB, this will be interesting if Nix gives up anything close to what the Redskins gave up for RG3 and he drafts a bum.

and there lies the problem with building the foundation before taking a qb, as nix publicly stated his plan to be. they need to be taken when they're there, not when a gm thinks they should be there. this strategy alone should've got him fired.

So, you would rather smash that square peg into the round hole to fit your assumptive view of the situation, instead of considering that maybe they made a big deal of this because it is actually a big deal? Russ Brandon stoop in front of reporters and lied through his teeth about his emotional meeting that finally removed the rubber stamp? :rolleyes:

Look it really is simple. As owner of the team Brandon still reports to Mr Wilson. He just doesn't have to call Mr. Wilson any more before making decisions. Mr. Wilson could withdraw the power from Brandon tomorrow if he wanted to. Obviously I don't know how the dynamic was before now any more than you do. But logically, to me anyway, this is not big news. No square pegs or round holes. Just, as you initially put it, a change in the powerpoint org chart. Not a bad thing, just not anything I see as a reason to get excited about either. YMMV.

Edited by CodeMonkey

So now suddenly everything was Ralph Wilsons fault, and now that he stepped away everything will be great?

I still don't see how anything is changed, except a job title. How can I not remain skeptical considering the past 13 years of hiring bad coaches, bad teams, bad drafting.

Lets face facts here. I think most fans were thinking Jim Kelly / Thurman Thomas were going to purchase part or all of the team and RW was finally selling to a new owner dedicated to winning. Instead of making a profit and finding unique ways to keep the stadium filled.

Most fans that were effing nuts and had zero knowledge of financial matters. You'd have to be batsh-- crazy to believe that Kelly and Thurman Thomas had a billion dollars lined up yesterday. Kelly may over time be able to mobilize an ownership group but that will be after some very public declarations that NFL owners would have to be privy to and sign off on.

I don't think this is at all about making a profit. It's about owning the failures of the past and making things right on the football field, which WILL BE the most profitable approach the team can adopt over the long haul. I don't walk into this one with zero reservations, but knowing that we will not be paying bottom of the barrel salaries for a head coach is promising. Knowing that the President wants world-class football people and that cost is not an issue is promising. Knowing that he wants to be be progressive and use stats and analytics is promising.

Good organizations don't tear down the things that are working - they identify what isn't, and adjust accordingly. I think they've always had a good plan with Whaley in place, but they are going to have to prove that there is more to that plan. If a good HC and QB do not follow these moves, you'll prove to be right and you can wear your "I was right!" shirt to work the next day.

If you can't have some renewed faith on the first days of the offseason, you may as well not watch and just become a casual fan. You've got a right to say whatever you like, and I do agree that Nix has made some moves that give me pause, but let's see how the admitted desires to draft a QB and bring in what they feel is a top-shelf coach result in.

I just don't understand how today can be viewed as anything except a positive step in the right direction. Russ adamantly said that he is leaving football decisions to football people. Money is not an obstacle. Already coaches have proclaimed interest in being the next head coach of the buffalo bills. Unless we hire an obvious bad choice as head coach, this is a great time to be a fan. Remember: head coach will most likely have a lot of control, so if we hit a home run there then we have a lot to be excited for. We cannot fix the past 13 years but we can fix the next 13

Look it really is simple. As owner of the team Brandon still reports to Mr Wilson. He just doesn't have to call Mr. Wilson any more before making decisions. Mr. Wilson could withdraw the power from Brandon tomorrow if he wanted to. Obviously I don't know how the dynamic was before now any more than you do. But ogically, to me anyway, this is not big news. No square pegs or round holes. Just, as you initially put it, a change in the powerpoint org chart. Not a bad thing, just not anything I see as a reason to get excited either. YMMV.

+1.

Any fan who thinks those ex-players are going to purchase the team (or any team), is an idiot.

And in your first sentence you contradict your last paragraph... :rolleyes:

Yea, lots of Idiots...

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?447105-%28w-very-good-source

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/154264-huge-ralph-wilson-statement-linked-posted-on-tws-by-bbb/page__hl__+bills%20+sold#entry2677945

Speaking of Idiots, someone confirmed that Jon Gruden met with Rus Brandon, and yet Brandon stated he has never had any such meeting

Look it really is simple. As owner of the team Brandon still reports to Mr Wilson. He just doesn't have to call Mr. Wilson any more before making decisions. Mr. Wilson could withdraw the power from Brandon tomorrow if he wanted to. Obviously I don't know how the dynamic was before now any more than you do. But logically, to me anyway, this is not big news. No square pegs or round holes. Just, as you initially put it, a change in the powerpoint org chart. Not a bad thing, just not anything I see as a reason to get excited about either. YMMV.

So, you're just going to double down on the no big deal thing because Russ just decided to waste everyone's time holding a non-eventful, box changing PC and made up some BS story of an emotional meeting an a 94 year old owner? Good work. Clearly, this is all just a farce because no one else has anything better to do. Perfectly logical.

Brandon can also get rid of Nix. If he has another terrible season, Nix will be gone. While not a dramatic step, its a good step in the right direction. I'm not that weary of Brandon. I think he wants a winner, and will do what it takes to get one (including finding a real GM if need be).

My wariness with Brandon only stems from not knowing where his loyalties lay in regards to the concept of Littman & Co. That could be overblown on my part (and I certainly hope that it is), but it's still there.

So, you're just going to double down on the no big deal thing because Russ just decided to waste everyone's time holding a non-eventful, box changing PC and made up some BS story of an emotional meeting an a 94 year old owner? Good work. Clearly, this is all just a farce because no one else has anything better to do. Perfectly logical.

I imagine it was emotional and very difficult for Mr. Wilson to formally turn over the reigns to someone else. But I see it as the same players in the game as it was before the PC today. What I do not quite understand is your apparent strong emotional and confrontational responses.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Yea, lots of Idiots...

http://boards.buffal...ery-good-source

http://forums.twobil...ld#entry2677945

Speaking of Idiots, someone confirmed that Jon Gruden met with Rus Brandon, and yet Brandon stated he has never had any such meeting

Showing me that a lot of people bought into that, which I had already seen, doesnt make it any less stupid.

It DOES show me that the fans were so hungry for a change at the top that they would believe anything they read or heard. And then when the Bills held a PC today to announce that the top WAS changing, and Ralph WAS getting out of the way, they are all pissing and moaning because it wasnt the exact change as they wanted.

We've all been saying for months, and even YEARS, that the problem starts at the top with the acceptance of mediocrity. Now that top has changed and has received a shot of youth and hunger (Brandon). They've also talked about the eminent "smooth transition" from Nix to Whaley (young and hungry and progressive).

So outside of not getting to see Jimbo and Thurman paraded to the podium, what's so bad about today?

Most fans that were effing nuts and had zero knowledge of financial matters. You'd have to be batsh-- crazy to believe that Kelly and Thurman Thomas had a billion dollars lined up yesterday. Kelly may over time be able to mobilize an ownership group but that will be after some very public declarations that NFL owners would have to be privy to and sign off on.

I don't think this is at all about making a profit. It's about owning the failures of the past and making things right on the football field, which WILL BE the most profitable approach the team can adopt over the long haul. I don't walk into this one with zero reservations, but knowing that we will not be paying bottom of the barrel salaries for a head coach is promising. Knowing that the President wants world-class football people and that cost is not an issue is promising. Knowing that he wants to be be progressive and use stats and analytics is promising.

Good organizations don't tear down the things that are working - they identify what isn't, and adjust accordingly. I think they've always had a good plan with Whaley in place, but they are going to have to prove that there is more to that plan. If a good HC and QB do not follow these moves, you'll prove to be right and you can wear your "I was right!" shirt to work the next day.

If you can't have some renewed faith on the first days of the offseason, you may as well not watch and just become a casual fan. You've got a right to say whatever you like, and I do agree that Nix has made some moves that give me pause, but let's see how the admitted desires to draft a QB and bring in what they feel is a top-shelf coach result in.

I didn't say I was thinking it, now did I. But it was in several threads,and even Kellys wife responded by tweeting it was untrue

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/154303-jim-kellys-wife-rumors-not-true/

I still don't see where anything has changed at all, except a job title for one guy.

I will remain skeptical until this franchise hires a HC that knows how to win.

You've been parrotting the same, tired point throughout this thread. With all due respect to your venerable status as the creator and fearless leader of this community, your point (summarized as follows) rings hollow:

Russ held a press conference.

Russ got emotional.

Therefore, something big must have changed within the organization.

If something major hadn't changed within the organization, Russ would not have held a press conference. So there!

Please. The press conference was held because it simply had to be. Preseason expectations were high. The playoff drought has reached record highs (or lows). The team has been a non-factor in the division. Fan frustration was at its peak. A simple coaching change was not enough. The media was waiting at OBD for more. If some sort of organizational wasn't announced, the perception and downstream PR consequences would have been dire. So in comes Russ Brandon, announcing yet another promotion for himself, while keeping the same inept scouting department and player personnel department in place.