Ray Horton for HC

buffalo1983

fair enough. i was just asking because the board tone on him seemed to raise pretty high after those quick quotes. it just surprised me how easily persuaded many were by answers to some softball questions. they were good answers but... other than the fact that he believes in 2 coordinators didnt reveal THAT much. kind of feels like a lot of people are projecting their own desired attributes on him because he is unknown enough to still be anything you want him to, if that makes sense.

One thing I would like to hear is what his players in Arizona think of him. Of course, they would be likely to give answers that would be biased toward him, but it still might shed more light on his philosophy/vision.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fair enough. i was just asking because the board tone on him seemed to raise pretty high after those quick quotes. it just surprised me how easily persuaded many were by answers to some softball questions. they were good answers but... other than the fact that he believes in 2 coordinators didnt reveal THAT much. kind of feels like a lot of people are projecting their own desired attributes on him because he is unknown enough to still be anything you want him to, if that makes sense.

I think Bills fans are just tired of the normal, bland, "old school" guys like Whisenhut, Smith, Gailey, Jauron ect. I know that I feel the want and need for the Bills to go with the new school, new generation aspect that both Horton and Kelly bring to the table. The Bills were exciting the last time they were relevant, I think that that's the direction to go this time.

Edited by 1billsfan

One thing I would like to hear is what his players in Arizona think of him. Of course, they would be likely to give answers that would be biased toward him, but it still might shed more light on his philosophy/vision.

According to a few AZ reporters I heard talk about him, the Cardinal players absolutely love him and that he's a legitimate candidate for the Cards HC job, and not at all a Rooney Rule type sham. All three I heard had nothing but glowing reports, and said that the Bills brass are going to love him in the interviews.

i think generally, he has a good rep with his guys. hes got a good rep and will be a good choice for someone.

the real issue is you have to evaluate if he is the right choice for us, and given the moves we made the last few years, I dont see us going back to 34 again. it would be 3 switches in 4 years. the defensive depth would be just totally destroyed (more than it already is at LB) needing to restock lineman, rework lb'ers.

there are a lot of capable smart and likely successful coaches out there. id chalk him up as one that really could be - but does he fit the team we have, or is he worth reworking everything yet again for?

what was side behind closed doors regarding who his OC/DC would be really are vital to any evaluation of what hes worth here.

I think Bills fans are just tired of the normal, bland, "old school" guys like Whisenhut, Smith, Gailey, Jauron ect. I know that I feel the want and need for the Bills to go with the new school, new generation aspect that both Horton and Kelly bring to the table. The Bills were exciting the last time they were relevant, I think that that's the direction to go this time.

exciting is great - what seperates him from the other young coaches out there that makes him the absolute best fit? what is his vision for our team?

hes young, his players like him, he runs a good defensive scheme (that doesnt fit our guys), and he gives good soundbites are enough to dig deeper on his plan for sure - but its hard to get gung ho and say hes the guy that must be targeted based on only that. he could easily go the direction of a josh mcdaniels or a raheem morris instead of the successful ones. what makes him the right guy for buffalo going into 2013? (if that makes sense, and isnt coming across too aggressively)

Edited by NoSaint

i think generally, he has a good rep with his guys. hes got a good rep and will be a good choice for someone.

the real issue is you have to evaluate if he is the right choice for us, and given the moves we made the last few years, I dont see us going back to 34 again. it would be 3 switches in 4 years. the defensive depth would be just totally destroyed (more than it already is at LB) needing to restock lineman, rework lb'ers.

there are a lot of capable smart and likely successful coaches out there. id chalk him up as one that really could be - but does he fit the team we have, or is he worth reworking everything yet again for?

what was side behind closed doors regarding who his OC/DC would be really are vital to any evaluation of what hes worth here.

exciting is great - what seperates him from the other young coaches out there that makes him the absolute best fit? what is his vision for our team?

hes young, his players like him, he runs a good defensive scheme (that doesnt fit our guys), and he gives good soundbites are enough to dig deeper on his plan for sure - but its hard to get gung ho and say hes the guy that must be targeted based on only that. he could easily go the direction of a josh mcdaniels or a raheem morris instead of the successful ones. what makes him the right guy for buffalo going into 2013? (if that makes sense, and isnt coming across too aggressively)

One thing to like about him is that as a player, he was on both a winning and a losing Super Bowl team, and as a coach, he was coaching both a winning and a losing Super Bowl. That's very good experience. He was a player on the dominant Cowboy teams and a coach on the SB winning Steeler teams. Then he had a great soundbite about learning from observing the wrong way to do things as being as important as learning the right way to do things. I liked that a lot. He's pretty impressive.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Just like the QB position, you don't know whether any coach is NFL head coaching material or not until they are put into that position. So the options are picking the safe, yet somehow lacking retread head coaches in Whisenhut or Smith...or going with the untested, yet new and exciting Horton or Kelly. I just like my chances better with the exciting untested guys. Today's players are probably a lot more easily distracted than in previous generations. I get the feeling their brains shut off a lot quicker with the strong, silent, old school types (see Gailey, Jauron). Energetic guys like Thomlin, Harbaugh and even Carroll (even though he's older he has a youthful energy) get the most from their teams throughout a long 16 game season. I think that (along with very good coaching) is what you hope to get when choosing either Horton or Kelly.

I don't know about you, but I don't keep abreast of potential head coaching candidates until, you know, the time when the team I root for begins looking for a new head coach.

In my previous post, I laid out the parameters for what I feel are the most important attributes my ideal coach would have. After going through all the candidates that were rumored to be on the Bills radar, Horton most closely reflects those parameters...without knowing how his interview went, or what he said in the interview, this is as far as we can go in analyzing these candidates.

Yeah seriously.

This made me laugh.

I do not start looking into a guy until it is leaked or put out there who the Bills are interviewing.

When they hired Chan i just exhaled. Living in Atlanta i saw all i needed to know about him. I thought he would have gotten the Bills farther along, but had no hopes for a SB type team.

I hope the next coach had me believing it can happen.

Just like the QB position, you don't know whether any coach is NFL head coaching material or not until they are put into that position. So the options are picking the safe, yet somehow lacking retread head coaches in Whisenhut or Smith...or going with the untested, yet new and exciting Horton or Kelly. I just like my chances better with the exciting untested guys. Today's players are probably a lot more easily distracted than in previous generations. I get the feeling their brains shut off a lot quicker with the strong, silent, old school types (see Gailey, Jauron). Energetic guys like Thomlin, Harbaugh and even Carroll (even though he's older he has a youthful energy) get the most from their teams throughout a long 16 game season. I think that (along with very good coaching) is what you hope to get when choosing either Horton or Kelly.

i get thats why hes a good choice for an nfl coach, but whys he the right choice for us?

i dig getting the young qb but in picking between luck and rg3, dont you evaluate the type of scheme you want to run, whether hes the right fit for the organization, etc... and not just say go get us the young guy? especially if they arent in the "gimme" category like those two were seemingly. (maybe dalton and kaepernick were a better pairing to use)

he seems like a great candidate but i get hung up on is he the right fit still. like i said, he may have answered those questions behind closed doors for the staff and i wont be upset if hes chosen, just the reservations with putting him at the top of my list without knowing hes our guy. so much in the nfl is about synergy and fit.

Edited by NoSaint

A few things I like about this.

1. Learned under Lebeau, and has had a lot of success in his own right.

2. Has stated he would not be calling plays on the defensive side. I think it's important for a head coach to focus on that and let his coordinators do their jobs.

3. This could mean the return of Frank Reich (who was on the Arizona staff as well.)

i get thats why hes a good choice for an nfl coach, but whys he the right choice for us?

i dig getting the young qb but in picking between luck and rg3, dont you evaluate the type of scheme you want to run, whether hes the right fit for the organization, etc... and not just say go get us the young guy? especially if they arent in the "gimme" category like those two were seemingly. (maybe dalton and kaepernick were a better pairing to use)

he seems like a great candidate but i get hung up on is he the right fit still. like i said, he may have answered those questions behind closed doors for the staff and i wont be upset if hes chosen, just the reservations with putting him at the top of my list without knowing hes our guy. so much in the nfl is about synergy and fit.

If Horton is a great NFL head coach who just hasn't been given the chance yet, then he'll be a fit no matter which franchise gives him that chance. The NFL is mainly a parity league that's only separated when a team has much a better QB and/or a much better head coach. I'd be excited if the Bills felt he's ready and make him the head coach. If after the interview they were unsure he's ready then obviously there's a good chance he won't be the choice. I don't think "fit" enters into it as long as he's willing to stay with the 4/3 defensive scheme. He clearly stated that he will delegate to his coordinators.

2. Has stated he would not be calling plays on the defensive side. I think it's important for a head coach to focus on that and let his coordinators do their jobs.

3. This could mean the return of Frank Reich (who was on the Arizona staff as well.)

Good point. That why i think whichever head coach Bills pick should be partly decided by who the coordinators will be.

We need a good fit with all of them.

Edited by 3rdand12

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A HC must perform his responsibility of being the coach of the entire team. When he takes on additional play calling duties, then it is overwhelming (at least for most of the coaches).

I am guessing that Nix "sleeping" was exaggerated at some point, but in any case, I'd be willing to bet if he was less than enthusiastic it's probably with his own diminished role in the organization rather than a lack of interest / respect for any specific candidates.

Edited by Captain Caveman

I am guessing that Nix "sleeping" was exaggerated at some point, but in any case, I'd be willing to bet if he was less than enthusiastic it's probably with his own diminished role in the organization rather than a lack of interest / respect for any specific candidates.

Very good point. At this point, we all know that this is Whaley's team now and Nix is just presiding over it until after the draft.

Horton doesn't have to impress Nix, he has to impress Whaley. And Whaley already knows who he is from their time together in Pittsburgh.

Very good point. At this point, we all know that this is Whaley's team now and Nix is just presiding over it until after the draft.

Horton doesn't have to impress Nix, he has to impress Whaley. And Whaley already knows who he is from their time together in Pittsburgh.

thats not a good point, its a wild assumption.

thats not a good point, its a wild assumption.

It's an assumption, certainly, but not as wild as one might think. I've noticed that Whaley's name has not been mentioned in any of the GM-search talk going on around the league. That may be because the true "insiders" already know what we've been assuming -- Nix is taking a backseat.