Ray Horton for HC

buffalo1983

Wow, Horton gave a great interview today after meeting with the Cardinals:

http://www.azcentral...zona-cardinals/

My favorite points:

Q. Do you worry about being pigeon-holed as a defensive coach?

A. “I don’t. I think I’m a coach of men. I talk about a plan to build a team. I don’t talk about ‘hey, I can build this offense or this defense and good luck with the rest of the team.’ Whether you’re an offensive coach, you’ve got to have a defensive guy who can do something on that side. It all blends together. I think that’s a zero issue.”

Q. When they ask you about staff structure, do you say I’m still going to run the defense?

A. “Nope. I delegate. I think a guy that controls everything, controls nothing. I would be there to assist and help if needed. But I trust the coaches I hire to be experts at their positions. Now am I going to get 11, 15, 22 experts who are going to be experts at every position? Probably not. But the two coordinators are going to be experts. Really, in my power structure, that’s how it works. Your head coach and two coordinators have to be expert at their position. It’s a trickle-down effect of getting this guy to do this and hey, coach this this way and do that. There’s a hierarchy of critical positions. The quality control is not the most critical position on the staff.”

----------------

Horton just moved up a notch on my list.

Yeah - mine too - loved those two quotes!

" I think a guy that controls everything, controls nothing." I wonder if Chan's reading that one? He really hurt himself trying to be the OC and HC at the same time.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thus far, after Chip Kelly Horton would be my second choice. I like his squads, I like that he was mentored by Dick Lebeau, and I like that he professes he'd allow his coordinators to call plays - he believes the coach and the two coordinators need to be experts, and being so, he'd trust them to call the plays - although he'd obviously have input. After having done research, watched interviews, looked at stats and previous performance, my H.C. wish list is something like this: Chip Kelly, John Gruden, Ray Horton, and Gregg Roman. I'd be ecstatic with any of these guys.

This is the guy I want.

A leader of men, who encourages physical play, and is willing to let coordinators do their jobs.

Really reminds me of Tomlin, only with a bit more experience.

I also love the attitude of "I'm going to knock their socks off in this interview"

This works

after reading Hortons comments and grasp for power structure he sounds very bright.

Arizona's D has been very good.

The NFL today is about guys who can relate to their team. Not age necessarily. Your demeanor has to match that of your team.

i remember when Coughlin got to NY he changed the entire culture. Cut guys who did not buy into what he was selling. Now you have to start having success- wins, or the guys will tune you out again.

Horton does sound organized and ready to lead. If he gets the job in Buffalo or not he will be a HC i bet in the next few years.

I agree....I'm officially on the Horton bandwagon.

I hope he accomplished his goal of knocking the Bills' socks off in his interview.

Fortune favors the bold, and its time for the Bills to be bold!!

I agree....I'm officially on the Horton bandwagon.

I hope he accomplished his goal of knocking the Bills' socks off in his interview.

Fortune favors the bold, and its time for the Bills to be bold!!

dare i ask - what sold you that hes the right guy for our team, right now?

i still worry about the defensive scheme issues. its still a concern that hes a first time hc (though not crippling).

is it just a good sound bite or two and suddenly its a bold choice for success? (kind of the feeling im getting in the thread)

dare i ask - what sold you that hes the right guy for our team, right now?

i still worry about the defensive scheme issues. its still a concern that hes a first time hc (though not crippling).

is it just a good sound bite or two and suddenly its a bold choice for success? (kind of the feeling im getting in the thread)

I like the idea of a coach that believes in being prepared, and being physical. He's also a former player, which I believe goes a long way in earning and keeping the respect of the players. I also do not want a coach that plans on also being a coordinator a-la Gailey. By saying I want the Bills to be bold, I mean I don't want a retread coach...I want new blood, someone with a fresh approach and fresh ideas.

I like the idea of a coach that believes in being prepared, and being physical. He's also a former player, which I believe goes a long way in earning and keeping the respect of the players. I also do not want a coach that plans on also being a coordinator a-la Gailey. By saying I want the Bills to be bold, I mean I don't want a retread coach...I want new blood, someone with a fresh approach and fresh ideas.

This is a big selling point for me as well. A coach who is not also a coordinator has much more of an ability to evaluate everything happening on gamedays, and make the right decisions on strategy, clock management, etc. A HC who is also callng the plays for the offense or defense is being pulled in too many directions (in my opinion).

OMG apparently it's true...Schefter is reporting it:

http://twitter.com/i...me=AdamSchefter

Nice try.

And though I don't believe that Nix was sleeping during the interview if he were it wouldn't be the dumbest group interview tactic I've heard of. Pretend to doze off during the meeting just to see what the candidate does, how they react, whether or not they wake you up. The correct answer is not to just let you sleep. It's not to completely freak out and leave the room either. Sort of gives you an idea of how he'd handle someone like oh say, Mario Williams if he were dozing off in a meeting.

Those niceties aside, if we was actually sleeping and not for a contrived purpose he should be fired immediately.

i guess what i was getting at is... did you think he believed in being unprepared or soft last week? did his playing background just surface? the only new piece we got was that he said hed hire a DC... does that elevate him from a so-so candidate to the top of the list?

just playing devils advocate.

I like this guy a lot. Unfortunately, there's no way Buffalo ends up with a guy this good.

Call me a Polly Anna, but isn't it time to be positive? I understand the mood during the season, but we are starting over in the personel area. These comments just don't seem to fall in line with the rest of our mood. I get that you are entitled to feel this way, but why piss in our cereal too?

i guess what i was getting at is... did you think he believed in being unprepared or soft last week? did his playing background just surface? the only new piece we got was that he said hed hire a DC... does that elevate him from a so-so candidate to the top of the list?

just playing devils advocate.

I don't know about you, but I don't keep abreast of potential head coaching candidates until, you know, the time when the team I root for begins looking for a new head coach.

In my previous post, I laid out the parameters for what I feel are the most important attributes my ideal coach would have. After going through all the candidates that were rumored to be on the Bills radar, Horton most closely reflects those parameters...without knowing how his interview went, or what he said in the interview, this is as far as we can go in analyzing these candidates.

I don't know about you, but I don't keep abreast of potential head coaching candidates until, you know, the time when the team I root for begins looking for a new head coach.

In my previous post, I laid out the parameters for what I feel are the most important attributes my ideal coach would have. After going through all the candidates that were rumored to be on the Bills radar, Horton most closely reflects those parameters...without knowing how his interview went, or what he said in the interview, this is as far as we can go in analyzing these candidates.

fair enough. i was just asking because the board tone on him seemed to raise pretty high after those quick quotes. it just surprised me how easily persuaded many were by answers to some softball questions. they were good answers but... other than the fact that he believes in 2 coordinators didnt reveal THAT much. kind of feels like a lot of people are projecting their own desired attributes on him because he is unknown enough to still be anything you want him to, if that makes sense.