Ray Horton for HC

buffalo1983

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horton seems to be a good aggressive DC. IF Wisenhunt is able to bring Horton and his staff here with him, that makes the Wisenhunt pick substantially better but I am not sure at all that would be the case. There are a lot of different possibilities and scenarios. Horton may want to stay in AZ. The Cards may not let him out of his contract. Horton may be pissed at the Cards for not selecting him as their HC (if that happens) and want to leave, forcing their hand. Then he would be a top DC choice to any team including the Bills (I imagine part of the reason the Cards are giving him a second HC interview is to convince him they love him and want him to stay regardless).

I wouldn't be totally against a Horton hire for HC although I really want someone with HC experience. But the idea of Wisenhunt and Horton is somewhat appealing. Wisenhunt without Horton (unless he brings in a very good DC does little for me right now, although I'm not enamored with hardly any of them).

Horton may not be retained by the next coaching staff (If its going to be reid like rumored, sounds like reid already has put together his staff). The Bills could also give him the "Assistant HC" title along with DC, that would be a promotion for Horton and I beleive would get him out of Arizona unless their new coach is willing to do the same.

I do agree, Whiz/Horton DC is much better then Whiz/? @ DC.

Horton may not be retained by the next coaching staff (If its going to be reid like rumored, sounds like reid already has put together his staff).

I think you're wrong here.

The whole issue with the end of Reid's tenure in Philly was because he could never replace the late Jimmy Johnson, his brilliant DC. They had a revolving door at that job in the last few years.

I think it's more likely that Arizona wants to convince Horton to stay on, either as head coach or as Reid's DC.

However if Arizona's intention is to hire Reid, I believe they'll let Horton accept a head coaching position with another team.

Reid as head coach with Horton as his DC would be a great scenario for Arizona, IMO.

A black coach with dreads? The winners in Lovejoy won't be happy about this. Honestly, I love his defenses in Arizona but it's too risky to trust a 1st time head coach at this point for the Bills. IF we were the Steelers, it'd be one thing. It sucks because we might miss out on a great one, but the Bills need a guy who has been a head coach before.

A black coach with dreads? The winners in Lovejoy won't be happy about this. Honestly, I love his defenses in Arizona but it's too risky to trust a 1st time head coach at this point for the Bills. IF we were the Steelers, it'd be one thing. It sucks because we might miss out on a great one, but the Bills need a guy who has been a head coach before.

i especially worry about that when hed be overhauling the defense to a new scheme (again).

My feeling is that the Bills won't hire Horton. He will then go on to coach another team to considerable success (see Frazier, Leslie, Fox, John, and a whole other cast of qualified coordinators the Bills FO didn't like) and then we'll complain.

Wow, Horton gave a great interview today after meeting with the Cardinals:

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/kentsomers/2013/01/02/ray-horton-on-his-interview-with-the-arizona-cardinals/

My favorite points:

Q. Do you worry about being pigeon-holed as a defensive coach?

A. “I don’t. I think I’m a coach of men. I talk about a plan to build a team. I don’t talk about ‘hey, I can build this offense or this defense and good luck with the rest of the team.’ Whether you’re an offensive coach, you’ve got to have a defensive guy who can do something on that side. It all blends together. I think that’s a zero issue.”

Q. When they ask you about staff structure, do you say I’m still going to run the defense?

A. “Nope. I delegate. I think a guy that controls everything, controls nothing. I would be there to assist and help if needed. But I trust the coaches I hire to be experts at their positions. Now am I going to get 11, 15, 22 experts who are going to be experts at every position? Probably not. But the two coordinators are going to be experts. Really, in my power structure, that’s how it works. Your head coach and two coordinators have to be expert at their position. It’s a trickle-down effect of getting this guy to do this and hey, coach this this way and do that. There’s a hierarchy of critical positions. The quality control is not the most critical position on the staff.”

----------------

Horton just moved up a notch on my list.

The more I hear and read about Horton the more I like this guy. I would not mind at all if the Bills hired him as head coach. Somebody is going to. He's very highly regarded.

Seems like a poor mans Lovie Smith..

http://www.azcentral...zona-cardinals/

My favorite points:

A. “I don’t. I think I’m a coach of men. I talk about a plan to build a team. I don’t talk about ‘hey, I can build this offense or this defense and good luck with the rest of the team.’ Whether you’re an offensive coach, you’ve got to have a defensive guy who can do something on that side. It all blends together. I think that’s a zero issue.”

Q. When they ask you about staff structure, do you say I’m still going to run the defense?

A. “Nope. I delegate. I think a guy that controls everything, controls nothing. I would be there to assist and help if needed. But I trust the coaches I hire to be experts at their positions. Now am I going to get 11, 15, 22 experts who are going to be experts at every position? Probably not. But the two coordinators are going to be experts. Really, in my power structure, that’s how it works. Your head coach and two coordinators have to be expert at their position. It’s a trickle-down effect of getting this guy to do this and hey, coach this this way and do that. There’s a hierarchy of critical positions. The quality control is not the most critical position on the staff.”

----------------

I agree. Fantastic interview. This guy certainly gives every impression of being ready.

http://www.azcentral...zona-cardinals/

My favorite points:

----------------

Hahaha, I was just discussing the interview with some friends and I pulled those exact two questions out too.

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/kentsomers/2013/01/02/ray-horton-on-his-interview-with-the-arizona-cardinals/

My favorite points:

----------------

theres a reason hes well respected around the league. i dont know if hes the right choice at the right time or not, but theres definitely a reason hes respected.

and by proxy theres a reason these pittsburgh guys that went out to arizona (hell, and gailey here in buffalo) get the reputations they do. that team picks good people and helps progress them into better people. not all will work, but.... something to keep in mind before totally killing them for not fully succeeding in arizona.

How you can make that determination right now is beyond me.

To me, both are almost the same. Difference is Lovie has a record as a coach. Horton does not.

Edited by JTO