Lose Either Levitre or Byrd and Bills Take Another Step Back

box0life

I for one am very concerned about losing one or both of these players in the offseason. The team can't afford to lose the best defensive player and best offensive lineman on the team. Byrd is the only true fairly consistent playmaker on the defensive side of the ball. Levitre is the the most consistent, versatile lineman on the team and never gets hurt. Lose one or both players and you take more steps back because they have to be replaced usually at a cost of a high draft pick. It also sends another poor message about the Bills in the fact that a significant number of good draft picks have left the Bills after their initial contract is up. They seem to leave entering their prime and then make the Pro Bowl or make the Super Bowl a few years later on another team.

I think the offensive line when they are all healthy is one of the best in the league. Keep the starters on the team. That is the continuity we need. Not continuity in the front office. Get rid of the front office and keep the offensive line.

I can't believe the Bills haven't even started negotiating with Levitre. He was more important than Urbik. What kind of message does that send to him? This front office is completely backwards. You are playing with fire allowing these players to test the free agent market. If they test it they are gone for greener pastures and the Bills are two more huge additional pieces away from sniffing the playoffs. If they can sign guys like Kelsey and Fitzpatrick to huge contracts without merit at least sign the players that deserve to be paid.

Dump Kelsay, Merriman, Fitzpatrick, McGee and get these guys signed now.

I think we're going to lose one and we'll have to franchise the other. Let's be honest, at the very least, we're going to have a new coach in here. Which means completely starting over from scratch from the players perspective. Starting from scratch on a losing team isn't ideal for a premier free agent (which both are at their position).

I don't think there's any way we put the OL Franchise Tag on Levitre. That's way too expensive. But the Safety tag isn't all that much. My guess is Levitre bounces and Byrd stays (whether he'd like to or not).

I think we're going to lose one and we'll have to franchise the other. Let's be honest, at the very least, we're going to have a new coach in here. Which means completely starting over from scratch from the players perspective. Starting from scratch on a losing team isn't ideal for a premier free agent (which both are at their position).

I don't think there's any way we put the OL Franchise Tag on Levitre. That's way too expensive. But the Safety tag isn't all that much. My guess is Levitre bounces and Byrd stays (whether he'd like to or not).

Don't think so. If Gailey has 2 years left, no way Nix fires him as Ralph will object. And I do not believe Ralph will fire Nix, which means both Nix and Gailey are safe. They will tag Byrd and sign Levitre, IMO. Then go draft a QB or two and sell the new QB to the fans. I don't see much beyond that happening. Salary cap is big in 2013. They might bring in a FA QB, but who?? Vick? probably not. They are going with Fitz next year and then hand it to the rookie mid season, IMO. NIx /Gailey too cautious to do it any other way...

I for one am very concerned about losing one or both of these players in the offseason. The team can't afford to lose the best defensive player and best offensive lineman on the team. Byrd is the only true fairly consistent playmaker on the defensive side of the ball. Levitre is the the most consistent, versatile lineman on the team and never gets hurt. Lose one or both players and you take more steps back because they have to be replaced usually at a cost of a high draft pick. It also sends another poor message about the Bills in the fact that a significant number of good draft picks have left the Bills after their initial contract is up. They seem to leave entering their prime and then make the Pro Bowl or make the Super Bowl a few years later on another team.

I think the offensive line when they are all healthy is one of the best in the league. Keep the starters on the team. That is the continuity we need. Not continuity in the front office. Get rid of the front office and keep the offensive line.

I can't believe the Bills haven't even started negotiating with Levitre. He was more important than Urbik. What kind of message does that send to him? This front office is completely backwards. You are playing with fire allowing these players to test the free agent market. If they test it they are gone for greener pastures and the Bills are two more huge additional pieces away from sniffing the playoffs. If they can sign guys like Kelsey and Fitzpatrick to huge contracts without merit at least sign the players that deserve to be paid.

Dump Kelsay, Merriman, Fitzpatrick, McGee and get these guys signed now.

We have a lot of ex Bills that are quality starters on other teams. Whitner, Lynch, McGahee, Peters, Greer, Bannon to name but a few. Everytime someone walks we have to re-draft that position missing positions that have long been in need. Losing quality always kills us.

Building thru the draft and signing home grown talent is a proven key to success in every pro sport, right? Out of all the arguments to keep Buddy around, him signing both these key, proven cogs has to be one of the top.

Two of my favourite Bills. Lots of variables in the business, but I hope they can somehow ink both.

Don't think so. If Gailey has 2 years left, no way Nix fires him as Ralph will object. And I do not believe Ralph will fire Nix, which means both Nix and Gailey are safe. They will tag Byrd and sign Levitre, IMO. Then go draft a QB or two and sell the new QB to the fans. I don't see much beyond that happening. Salary cap is big in 2013. They might bring in a FA QB, but who?? Vick? probably not. They are going with Fitz next year and then hand it to the rookie mid season, IMO. NIx /Gailey too cautious to do it any other way...

Really? You think that after possibly the darkest period in Bills football over the past couple decades; you see no changes going forward beyond us drafting a QB? Fitzpatrick, Gailey, AND Nix all return? I think that logic went out the window weeks ago. Especially after the Seattle game in Toronto. After that game and the Miami game (and especially if we lose this week), that can't possibly happen. Regardless of what skewed visions are out there of Ralph, Russ isn't stupid. He's the CEO, he's got Ralph's ear, and he's not pleased.

But i'm getting off topic. Let's use your scenario then. How is Chan Gailey returning as Head Coach any better for us keeping Jairus Byrd or Andy Levitre? Have you not seen the total and complete uninspired football from the team and the coach? It's obvious that Chan's lost the team. Byrd and Levitre are right in the middle of it. Why would either of them want to come back to that? The coaching situation as a whole (regardless of what we do) is a big problem in us retaining these guys.

We're talking about two guys coming off their first contract, in great condition, and very good at their position. They're primed to make a lot of money on the open market. And for winning teams (i'm sure). The only time Byrd commented on his contract situation was to say that he hadn't heard of negotiations going on and that he'd be open to coming back to Buffalo. But that he wants to win. That resonated with me.

I suspect that Levitre is gone with the wind. Think about it: there are a number of venerable, moneyed franchises that are in desperate need of decent offensive linemen -- the Bears, the Eagles, the Steelers, and the Jets to name four. He will be a hot commodity because he's a very good player who hasn't been injured much at all. A team like the Bears is pretty close, but they were undone this year by their terrible offensive line. If I'm them, I'm ponying up for Levitre. I regard him as gone. Why would he come back here anyway?

I agree that they both should be retained. The cap is going up so if someone throws a ton of money at them we may be in trouble. Fortunately for us safety and OG are not big money positions like LT and CB or QB so I think we will be able to sign them both.

I don't see how they retain Levitre without franchising him. There are too many teams in need of offensive line talent. He's a goner, I think.

I thought the same thing last year about SJ, but they signed him, infact it was either right before or right after the free agency period started. So if they could sign SJ last Feb, (and I never thought they would have last year) I think they can easily do it again for both. The only thing that will prevent it is if one or both don't want to be here. They say they bot hdo, so assuming that's true, I think they can easily be signed.

I don't see how they retain Levitre without franchising him. There are too many teams in need of offensive line talent. He's a goner, I think.

I thought the same thing last year about SJ, but they signed him, infact it was either right before or right after the free agency period started. So if they could sign SJ last Feb, (and I never thought they would have last year) I think they can easily do it again for both. The only thing that will prevent it is if one or both don't want to be here. They say they bot hdo, so assuming that's true, I think they can easily be signed.

I think Levitre is a better player at his position than Steve Johnson, who I like. Levitre is borderline elite, in fact, and can swing out to tackle and center in a pinch. Plus look at the line situations on some of these teams--just terrible.

Plenty of time for contracts. Long months of January and February to exchange proposals. You also have to factor in that if there are any front office/coaching changes coming, that plays a role in what players to keep.

Besides, when it comes to contract negotiations, I never believe what is filtered to the media. It's usually done deliberately, almost always 100% false and always 100% done to seek perceived leverage.

FWIW, I think the Bills keep both Byrd and Levitre so long as the players want to stay in Buffalo.

I think Levitre is more important than Byrd. Great to keep the starting offensive line intact. He is a must sign in order to keep Wood from walking next year. They are good friends and were drafted by the Bills in the same year. If Levtre is resigned, Wood is resigned next year. Levtre walks, Wood walks next year which could be a real sad situation and will set back the O-line once again.

Losing either player would be very bad. Levitre is outstanding and the better of the two. We should sign him first. He is going to get some excellent offers.

This is typical of team that constantly change GMs and coaches.

Look at Lynch in Seattle? As good as Spiller is did we really need him with Lynch on the team?

Look at Whitner in San Fran? Maybe not the best pick at 8 but he is a much better player than Wilson. Whitner is hitting his prime and in the Pro Bowl. Wilson is hitting a wall, missing tackles, and dropping interceptions. Bryan Scott cannot carry Whitner's jock strap.

While I am for dumping Nix and Chan I suspect that we will looe some good players in the process of another overhaul.

Edited by Bob in STL

Said this before and I'll say it again. If they can afford to re-sign Kelsay every two years, burn money on Merriman, and give Fitzy over $21MM for the past two years, they can afford to keep two elite players that they drafted. I agree with the OP. F--- this team if they let these two get away.

Said this before and I'll say it again. If they can afford to re-sign Kelsay every two years, burn money on Merriman, and give Fitzy over $21MM for the past two years, they can afford to keep two elite players that they drafted. I agree with the OP. F--- this team if they let these two get away.

the players you speak of would actually want to stay here. That is questionable at this point. Either they actually do like Chan and we get of him and they walk, or they hate Chan, and we retain him and they walk.

Just an argument that needs to be brought up.

the players you speak of would actually want to stay here. That is questionable at this point. Either they actually do like Chan and we get of him and they walk, or they hate Chan, and we retain him and they walk.

Just an argument that needs to be brought up.

The other variable is that they dislike Chan, we get rid of Chan, and they are happy about returning under a new coach.

GO BILLS!!!

Losing either player would be very bad. Levitre is outstanding and the better of the two. We should sign him first. He is going to get some excellent offers.

This is typical of team that constantly change GMs and coaches.

Look at Lynch in Seattle? As good as Spiller is did we really need him with Lynch on the team?

Look at Whitner in San Fran? Maybe not the best pick at 8 but he is a much better player than Wilson. Whitner is hitting his prime and in the Pro Bowl. Wilson is hitting a wall, missing tackles, and dropping interceptions. Bryan Scott cannot carry Whitner's jock strap.

While I am for dumping Nix and Chan I suspect that we will looe some good players in the process of another overhaul.

Woulda coulda shoulda is the mantra for this team.

Take a step back?? To where? The Bills are a 4-6 win team WITH these 2 guys.

If we lose Byrd, does our awful defense really get significantly worse? Losing Levitre will lead to fewer points scored on a offense that can't score points?

These would be significant psychological losses. perhaps

Edited by Mr. WEO

They are both gone unless they use the tag. The Bills were negotiating agianst themselvbes with Stevie. He is an average WR who may be the best route runner in the league. There was no big market for him though. There will be big money available for both Levitre(3-5th highest paid guard) and Byrd(top paid safety in the league).

They are both gone unless they use the tag. The Bills were negotiating agianst themselvbes with Stevie. He is an average WR who may be the best route runner in the league. There was no big market for him though. There will be big money available for both Levitre(3-5th highest paid guard) and Byrd(top paid safety in the league).

with teams making calls to old and over the hill Owens, Moss, Burress, Johnson what makes you think there was no market for him.

Get over the hate. He's no Calvin Johnson. No S%#T!!! But he IS a #1 WR in this league and would be on probably 15-20 teams in the league.

Take a step back?? To where? The Bills are a 4-6 win team WITH these 2 guys.

If we lose Byrd, does our awful defense really get significantly worse? Losing Levitre will lead to fewer points scored on a offense that can't score points?

These would be significant psychological losses. perhaps

This is poor logic. What hope do the Bills have of ever becoming a good team if they let their best players leave and just keep creating holes? Byrd is an elite safety in the league and Levitre is a borderline elite guard. They both need to be retained. Just because the team sucks doesn't mean it's the fault of these two guys.