Rumor only!! Involves John Gruden

marauderswr80

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, check out www.profootballtalk.com pwer rankings and read the Titans comments:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/25/week-16-power-rankings-3/

For the comment to be made by that soucre, maybe there is a little fire behind this smoke................

Maybe so. That would worry me though, because Gruden might try to fix Fitz.

BTW - Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

That said, if I rewind back to Dec of 2009 and Jan 2010, I believe that the whole Shanahan shenanigans never did end of on www.profootballtalk.com. I dont know, when reports hit this web site, like I said, some fire behind the smoke.

Don't get me wrong, I am skeptical that any Tier 1 Coach will want to be involved with the current front office in Buffalo, outside of working with Whaley.. The front office above Whaley all the way to the top is probably the biggest deterent to getting the franchise on track.

How could they be at Tempo when Tempo is closed on Sundays?

They met outside in the parking lot, next to the dumpster….Ralph knew it is closed on Sundays and he wouldn’t have to pick up the tab for Gruden and Brandon….the old fox out foxed them again!

Edited by fbzh2

FWIW, check out www.profootballtalk.com pwer rankings and read the Titans comments:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/25/week-16-power-rankings-3/

For the comment to be made by that soucre, maybe there is a little fire behind this smoke................

Its a waiting game! We've gotta wait guys!

It's a bit facile knock Gruden for winning a SB (or insinuate Callihan foolishly gave it to him)--it's not like Gruden dropped in on Tampa on SB Sunday...

He turned a team coached by famous ball and chain HC Dungy into the best D in the league. They went 12-4 as soon as Dungy left. He was no slouch in Oakland either...

I'm very skeptical that Jo(_)n Gruden would end up here but I agree 100% with your take. Don't and never did like him. He milked out improvement in Tampa Bay for one season just long enough to beat the team he coached the year before. They disposed of the Raiders easily because his successor Bill Callahan did nothing to change any of the systems that Gruden had put into place.

It was the easiest coaching assignment of all: beating his former team and preying on the weaknesses of his former staff and players.

Another bizarre feature to Gruden is that he doesn't use the shotgun. I wonder how that will fly in today's NFL. The young-looking old dog might have to learn some new tricks.

As I said, I don't expect Gruden to coach the Bills but saying that he won't because he signed a contract extension with ESPN in 2011 only shows your naiveté in the ways of contracts.

Oh, and of course he'd be an improvement over Gailey.

But at what cost?

If we're gonna break the bank and give someone near-total football authority, I'd rather it was someone else.

It's a bit facile knock Gruden for winning a SB (or insinuate Callihan foolishly gave it to him)--it's not like Gruden dropped in on Tampa on SB Sunday...

He turned a team coached by famous ball and chain HC Dungy into the best D in the league. They went 12-4 as soon as Dungy left. He was no slouch in Oakland either...

Yeah, one way or the other you have to give Gruden credit for that Super Bowl. Either he gets credit for Tampa or, if you believe the previous coach takes the credit for that season, he gets credit for Oakland. And in the end, his team came out on top.

Of course, the credit also goes to him for what I considered a very mismanaged team in the years after that Super Bowl. A lot of head scratching moves during his tenure.

Yeah, one way or the other you have to give Gruden credit for that Super Bowl. Either he gets credit for Tampa or, if you believe the previous coach takes the credit for that season, he gets credit for Oakland. And in the end, his team came out on top.

Of course, the credit also goes to him for what I considered a very mismanaged team in the years after that Super Bowl. A lot of head scratching moves during his tenure.

True. But I would take him right now.

Facile? Like replying to a fairly lengthy post with a four sentence reply?

First of all, no one said Callahan "gave it to him." I tried to express that Callahan was outcoached and that's a consensus view.

As for Dungy, the Tampa defense was never a problem when Dungy was there. It was their offense that was the problem.

And the bigger point I was trying to convey is that Gruden is overrated IMO.

Would he be an upgrade over Gailey?

Of course he'd be, who wouldn't?

Ive heard from a friend John Gruden was/is at Tempo with Russ Brandon....

Take it for what its worth!

My sources are reliable! And very knowledgeable about Bills football....

It would be awesome to have Jon Gruden as the HC. Make him the GM as well. It would be fricken awesome to be headed to the big show again.

..l

You and I would be upgrades! Chan has lowered the bar significantly.. Not that you'd suck or anything.. Merry Christmas, SJBF!

Brevity is the soul of wit, SJBF...

Anyway that was the part of your post I was responding to: you did not simply say he was out coached (everyone already knew that), you said that Gruden won only because Callahan changed nothing from Gruden's system and thus allowed Gruden the victory. I don't agree that's why they won.

Also, Dungy was the most over rated coach ever. Never has one man done so little with so much.

First of all, no one said Callahan "gave it to him." I tried to express that Callahan was outcoached and that's a consensus view.

As for Dungy, the Tampa defense was never a problem when Dungy was there. It was their offense that was the problem.

A Gruden hire would be huge for this organization - and it has little to do with the exact coaching ability of Gruden.

Gruden would not be going anywhere that had a "cap" on assistant coaching salaries meaning he could hire a quality OC & a quality DC.

In fairness to both Juaron and Gailey they were both limited on what they could offer (thank you Ralph) their assistants and many times in life you simply get what you paid for.

Its incredibly penny wise and dollar foolish to put limits on coaching salaries but thats exactly what Ralph and his bean counters in Detroit have always done - and thats why we are perhaps the most losing organization in the NFL since 1960.....

FWIW Gruden did say during a Monday night football game in early october this year that if he did get back into coachin that 3 teams would be of an interest to him...minny, SD, and Buffalo.

Forgot about that, but saw another thread about that on another board that reminded me