WGR reports 10 year lease

tito1

I'm intrigued by the the creation of a west end plaza and concession improvements. The Bills could move the gates outward and build a ring of new concessions and bathrooms along the perimeter of the stadium. It will be a longer walk from your seat but considering the sardine-can-crush you get now it would be well worth it. I would also suggest the Bills lease space to existing WNY restaurants to set up shop inside the stadium. Might Taco, Schwabl's, Bocce Club, Anchor Bar, Pearl St Brewery, etc. Create a scaled down Patriot Place-style plaza where people would have the option of tailgating inside the stadium at a restaurant.

PTR

This would be awesome. Best scenario IMO. Unless we build a new stadium downtown or in NF.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People here really think that theres not a group in LA thats ready to drop $1.5 Billion on a team?

The stadium IIRC already has the funding to be built once they get a commitment that a teams going to move there.

I'm sure theres a group that will have around $1.5 billion to spend to get a team when available. (+/-$800 mil for the team, $400 mil for the lease buyout, plus an extra $300 mil for other fees like the league relocation fee which I could see the league either waiving or making it within someones budget to get a team in LA where they want it)

way to piss in our Cheerios bro. C'mon. It's not all doom and gloom. The lease is a good thing. No need to piss on everyone because your miserable. The holidays are here. Go buy someone a present. Maybe you'll get one too this year.

I'm intrigued by the the creation of a west end plaza and concession improvements. The Bills could move the gates outward and build a ring of new concessions and bathrooms along the perimeter of the stadium. It will be a longer walk from your seat but considering the sardine-can-crush you get now it would be well worth it. I would also suggest the Bills lease space to existing WNY restaurants to set up shop inside the stadium. Might Taco, Schwabl's, Bocce Club, Anchor Bar, Pearl St Brewery, etc. Create a scaled down Patriot Place-style plaza where people would have the option of tailgating inside the stadium at a restaurant.

PTR

These are great ideas PTR. I like the business mind you have.

People here really think that theres not a group in LA thats ready to drop $1.5 Billion on a team?

The stadium IIRC already has the funding to be built once they get a commitment that a teams going to move there.

I'm sure theres a group that will have around $1.5 billion to spend to get a team when available. (+/-$800 mil for the team, $400 mil for the lease buyout, plus an extra $300 mil for other fees like the league relocation fee which I could see the league either waiving or making it within someones budget to get a team in LA where they want it)

Maybe that's Brandons angle, who knows.

But I do know one thing, Brandon would not agree to a deal this long and apparently restrictive without having something in mind.

Edited by CodeMonkey

way to piss in our Cheerios bro. C'mon. It's not all doom and gloom. The lease is a good thing. No need to piss on everyone because your miserable. The holidays are here. Go buy someone a present. Maybe you'll get one too this year.

LOL :beer: Sounds like a classic line from a movie!

The NFL relocation fee is $900m

So, this LA group would need to wait for Ralph to die. Then they would need to outbid any ownership groups that want the team to stay in Buffalo. Which means they would likely have to overpay for the team (say $1B or more). Then they would need league approval to move, which is unlikely. Then they would have to fight Chuck Shumer and the countless other govt officials who will fight tooth and nail to keep the only NY State team in the state. Then they would have to spend millions in court fighting the state and county to get out of the lease. Only then could they pay the $400m fee to break the lease. This after having to fund a stadium for $1-1.5B. Total cost to any new owner wanting to move the team out of Buffalo will be close to $4B. And again, they still have to wait for Ralph to die before any of this could be set in motion. Do you still think the LA boogieman is laying in wait? I don't.

Edited by Maddog69

Maybe that's Brandons angle, who knows.

But I do know one thing, Brandon would not agree to a deal this long and apparently restrictive without having something in mind.

There's a potential problem with the enforceability of an opt-out fee that is much larger than the state and county's required stadium repair and improvement contribution. If it's too big, it may not be enforceable at all, even if all parties freely agreed to it.

Is a $400 million opt-out fee unenforceable as a "penalty" when it is more than 4x the combined $95 million that the new lease reportedly requires the state and county governments to pay for stadium repairs and improvements?

There's a reason why the old lease had an opt-out fee that initially about matched the government's required investment, and gradually declined over time.

Will explain more when I have time - - can't today.

Don't underestimate a billionaire's lawyers.

There's a potential problem with the enforceability of an opt-out fee that is much larger than the state and county's required stadium repair and improvement contribution. If it's too big, it may not be enforceable at all, even if all parties freely agreed to it.

Is a $400 million opt-out fee unenforceable as a "penalty" when it is more than 4x the combined $95 million that the new lease reportedly requires the state and county governments to pay for stadium repairs and improvements?

There's a reason why the old lease had an opt-out fee that initially about matched the government's required investment, and gradually declined over time.

Will explain more when I have time - - can't today.

Don't underestimate a billionaire's lawyers.

You can sue over any deal. That doesn't mean squat. When you buy the Bills you buy any agreements the team makes. Unless you can find me a precedent that applies, I call BS.

PTR

The NFL relocation fee is $900m

So, this LA group would need to wait for Ralph to die. Then they would need to outbid any ownership groups that want the team to stay in Buffalo. Which means they would likely have to overpay for the team (say $1B or more). Then they would need league approval to move, which is unlikely. Then they would have to fight Chuck Shumer and the countless other govt officials who will fight tooth and nail to keep the only NY State team in the state. Then they would have to spend millions in court fighting the state and county to get out of the lease. Only then could they pay the $400m fee to break the lease. This after having to fund a stadium for $1-1.5B. Total cost to any new owner wanting to move the team out of Buffalo will be close to $4B. And again, they still have to wait for Ralph to die before any of this could be set in motion. Do you still think the LA boogieman is laying in wait? I don't.

well done Sir. Well done.

The haters will still throw some kind of wrench into it tho and prove how it's not only possible but probable.

Edited by mrags

just wondering, has Joe W chimed in on this thread?

either way, i'd like to point out that after all the back and forth he's had with numerous posters including myself that he was wrong.

jw

Is that the guy who fancied himself as the "beacon of clarity" because of his special insight into the state of the BIlls?

either way, i'd like to point out that after all the back and forth he's had with numerous posters including myself that he was wrong.

jw

After seeing your passion about rush making the rnr hof I knew you would be here to relish....

And I don't blame ya! It's to bad the beacon of clarity is banned I enjoy watching people eat crow.

I haven't read this entire thread, but I just don't know why a lot of you are leaving out the NFL relocation fee. Some reports peg that amount at about $600,000,000.

If that is true the simple math is that if you bought this team and wanted to move it tomorrow it is going to cost you fees in the neighborhood of one billion dollars (cue Dr. Evil with his pinky to his mouth).

Sure, that are a number of rich people on this planet, rich enough to pull that off. However, it just plain doesn't make any business sense.

EDIT: maddog69, my apologies, brother. I didn't make it to your post.

$900 million! Well that just makes me feel even better!

:thumbsup:

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

jw

Any details on the architectural improvements they plan? Timelines?

I haven't read this entire thread, but I just don't know why a lot of you are leaving out the NFL relocation fee. Some reports peg that amount at about $600,000,000.

If that is true the simple math is that if you bought this team and wanted to move it tomorrow it is going to cost you fees in the neighborhood of one billion dollars (cue Dr. Evil with his pinky to his mouth).

Sure, that are a number of rich people on this planet, rich enough to pull that off. However, it just plain doesn't make any business sense.

Several people have cited the NFL relocation fee. Some see it as a deterrent. Some call it pocket change.

By the way, for the "Ralph is cheap" crowd, this deal devalues the Bills by about $200 million. True, Forbes has the value of the Bills pegged around $800 million. But on the open market, with no restrictions on movement, the team was easily worth over $1 billion. Now any buyer is locked into stinky 'ol Buffalo for 7 years minimum, unless they want to pay the $400 M + the NFL fees. That brings the nut close to $2 billion total. That's real money, even in L.A.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'm just trying to have one non-negative day - did you have to pee in my Cheerios?

Sorry! Merry Xmas! And I think we made it through the mayan apocalypse thing! Plus I'm out Golfing with my son! All is good!

Maybe the nhl thing will get settled today too!

that's right folks, "beacon of baloney." ...

as for improvements, a new scoreboard for east end of end zone.

moving the team store into a plaza fronting Abbott.

looks like a new expanded concession/restaurant in east end.

the money's upfront in the first year of the deal, so expect to see the enhancements sooner than later.

jw

After seeing your passion about rush making the rnr hof I knew you would be here to relish....

And I don't blame ya! It's to bad the beacon of clarity is banned I enjoy watching people eat crow.

oh, didn't realize he had been banned.

jw