Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

Wooderson

That's a very overused phrase for news stories, but this time it fits perfectly. I'm horrified at this and I can generally detach myself from major events without much emotion.

I felt the same way. I actually teared up at this one. I was listening to the Rome show when I heard it, I turned it off and just sat in silence confused and disturbed.

My most heart felt sympathy and prayers goes out to all of the families of the victims. And as for the gunman rotting in hell is not enough punishment for you.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of a society and culture have we created where such evil can propagate and flourish over and over and over? Something is seriously wrong.

Honest answer: one with a TON of people. It's still a microscopic portion of our society. It's not ok, but it's not like its overrunning the country. You hate to hear about even one still....

Edited by NoSaint

What kind of a society and culture have we created where such evil can propagate and flourish over and over and over? Something is seriously wrong.

And we've got it good over here. Thank god we don't have it like many other parts of the world where kids are targeted or killed far more frequently. I don't know how those more war torn places of the world get by when kids are being killed far more frequently.

I have to admit that while I truly feel remourse and sadness during tragic events, I cant stop tears from forming in my eyes.

I am a first time father to be so I can not even come close to imagining what the parents are feeling.

This day (in my mind) marks one of the darkest in history

To imagine the type of man who would even point a gun at a 5 year old child scares me. To think of that man witnessing the terror in the child's eyes and actually managing to pull the trigger, despite whatever shred of his humanity remained...and then to shoot again and again and again...terrifying.

I can picture my little nephew's classroom now. And I can barely see what I'm typing.

They always take the easy way out too. (the shooter)

They have the shooters brother in custody though

If only they would instead take an easier way out and off themselves without ever leaving home.

To imagine the type of man who would even point a gun at a 5 year old child scares me. To think of that man witnessing the terror in the child's eyes and actually managing to pull the trigger, despite whatever shred of his humanity remained...and then to shoot again and again and again...terrifying.

I can picture my little nephew's classroom now. And I can barely see what I'm typing.

Not a man....an animal

They always take the easy way out too. (the shooter)

They have the shooters brother in custody though

Incorrect. The brother was found dead in his apartment in Jersey. They haven't said it yet, but he likely was killed. The start of the rampage.

The phrase "this puts things into perspective" is likely the most inappropriately used of all time - especially in sports (mention that only because this is a sports forum). But to think of the dozens of families just broken by this, well, no problems in my life are even worth thinking about at a time like this.

We can label the shooter as a monster, sub-human, etc. All are appropriate. But that he took his own life is what infuriates me the most. Little innocents killed. Because he was unhappy, unstable, whatever.

Days like this are why I'm conflicted about religion. I'm not a God fearing person. Was raised Catholic, but don't practice or even believe. I'm not turning this into a religious thread (or trying not to) but here is why I'm torn: I don't want to believe there is a God that would let this happen. On the other hand I need to be able to believe the shooter didn't just get off that easy - bullet to the head and then black. I need to have some hope that he is literally burning - for eternity.

These families will never heal completely. But, and not to sound hypocritical to what I just said above, I hope God is with them.

Edited by stevestojan

What do you do with the kids' Christmas presents?

Seriously. How, as a parent, do you face Christmas, having all these presents you just bought for your child, looking forward to ten days from now when they'd open them and enjoy possibly the best morning of the year that a kid can have...that they'll now never see, because they were gunned down senselessly...but you still have all the presents, representing all that hope and joy, and you have to do something with them...

So it seems like a shallow and silly question...but really, it's not. What do you do with the Christmas presents? How do you even face that sort of issue?

Seriously. How, as a parent, do you face Christmas, having all these presents you just bought for your child, looking forward to ten days from now when they'd open them and enjoy possibly the best morning of the year that a kid can have...that they'll now never see, because they were gunned down senselessly...but you still have all the presents, representing all that hope and joy, and you have to do something with them...

So it seems like a shallow and silly question...but really, it's not. What do you do with the Christmas presents? How do you even face that sort of issue?

I almost hope most of the parents have other kids to give them a reason not to kill themselves. Your question is not silly. It's the kind of thing they will have to deal with. I hate everything about this story.

practical answer... charity.

realistic answer... i bet more than a few of the presents sit wrapped for years in these homes.

just unbelievable. in a similar line of thought itll be really tough on the school to just have a class of kids disappear.

no idea Tom how people will cope and what if they have a child that survived and one that didn't. There are many many more victims tonight. Also think about those families of children I. The school how will they approach this season of joy and having to explain to their children this terrible tragedy. Hopefully the presents that won't get opened will end up in the hands of some sick or underprivileged children.