Trade for Kirk Cousins

For as long as RGIII is teh starter, the skins will always need a capable backup. No point in trading away cousins if your'e the skins.

It well could be a Vick - schuab situation. Hold cousins 3 years, and trade him then if rg3 still is playing well.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone thinks Skins will trade Cousins now, you're crazy.

Agreed. The next head office will pin their jobs in Buffalo on a QB like Jauron/Edwards and Gailey/Fitzpatrick. Marrone and co would have to see something really special in Cousins and the price would be extremely high. I'm not sure a trade makes sense and I, like you, think that Washington is very unlikely to trade unless the offer is ridiculous.

Edited by Marshawn's 20 bucks

Gotta agree. Shanny had to make the playoffs so he rolled the dice.

But if he thought he had a great prospect sitting, and saw how ugly RG3 was playing injured.... He could've made the call.

I'm not indicting cousins in this, but pointing out if shanahan loved the guy, he likely would've been on the field instead of a 50% RG3.

Isnt your own statement essentially saying hed rather risk it with a gimpy RG3 than a healthy cousins? Wouldnt the simplest answer to "why the hell wasnt he playing his great backup" that he didnt think he was that great? Totally crazy?

Edited by NoSaint

But if he thought he had a great prospect sitting, and saw how ugly RG3 was playing injured.... He could've made the call.

I'm not indicting cousins in this, but pointing out if shanahan loved the guy, he likely would've been on the field instead of a 50% RG3.

Totally crazy?

He may love Cousins but RGIII still gets the practice reps. Probably didn't want to risk playing a more inexperienced rookie. Well that strategy backfired.

PTR

In his only start this season, Cousins went 26-37 for 329, 2 TDs and 1 INT against a good Cleveland defense.

And if you ignore the numbers and look at the actual performance, he played a damn near brilliant game.

Again though... if the last 6 months were as clearly impressive as many assert - that he's worth a top ten selection - what's the explanation for him not allowing him to play, unless he feels there's a more substantial gap in their abilities than many posters portray? (Could be misevaluating the injury, or either qbs ability.... Could be an actual larger gap than we give credit for)

Edited by NoSaint

In his only start this season, Cousins went 26-37 for 329, 2 TDs and 1 INT against a good Cleveland defense.

And if you ignore the numbers and look at the actual performance, he played a damn near brilliant game.

Unbelievable. Best game I've ever seen by a rookie QB. He has a pocket presence you can't teach. And that 60 yard TD pass on the run was a thing of beauty.

Hate to say it, but I think Cousins is the Redskins future. Not RG3.

Again though... if the last 6 months were as clearly impressive as many assert - that he's worth a top ten selection - what's the explanation for him not allowing him to play, unless he feels there's a more substantial gap in their abilities than many posters portray? (Could be misevaluating the injury, or either qbs ability.... Could be an actual larger gap than we give credit for)

They asked him in the press conference. He said he thought about it but then went with his "gut". He wasn't using logic or intelligence. He was going with his gut.

Also, RG3 said he was 100% until that hit and loose ball. He said the knee had nothing to do with his poor play.

So you have a guy who is medically cleared to play, got all the repa, and says he feels 100%. Why would you start the backup? That wouldn't make a ton of sense.

Also, RG3 said he was 100% until that hit and loose ball. He said the knee had nothing to do with his poor play.

So you have a guy who is medically cleared to play, got all the repa, and says he feels 100%. Why would you start the backup? That wouldn't make a ton of sense.

Clearly you don't buy that fully? Or he wouldn't have faced questions or needed to trust his gut. Andrews wouldn't have said he didn't originally clear him. If the question needs to be bumped back two weeks to that event, or to monday when practice reps were being split, so be it... But... Lets not pretend an injury didnt exist here either.

The final There was no hit. His knee just gave out with no one near him trying to pick up the low snap. That's a real bad knee

Edited by NoSaint

As far as I'm concerned?

A bad coaching decision.

But again, I said that he should have been rested against a run-for-the-bus Philly team so he had two weeks of rest and rehab instead of one week.

I'm not against the decision to start him against Dallas in week 17 because Washington was competing directly with Dallas for the playoffs.

And I can see where Shanny wanted to start him today but I thought after that roll-out play near the goal line it was obvious that he had worsened the injury and that Cousins should have been put in at that point, much earlier than what happened.

Finally, all of this is ignoring the fact that the nation's leading orthopedic surgeon, James Andrews, stated that he did not clear RGIII to return to play in the game against Baltimore. Either Andrews or Shanny lied about this.

Shanny keeps passing the buck saying the doctor this and Robert that. Bottom line, Shanny or his boy, the OC, needed to make the decision to pull him from the game when he reinjured his knee in the first half. He was obviously playing on one leg at that point and as good as he is, RGIII is not better on one leg than Kirk Cousins.

Unbelievable. Best game I've ever seen by a rookie QB. He has a pocket presence you can't teach. And that 60 yard TD pass on the run was a thing of beauty.

Hate to say it, but I think Cousins is the Redskins future. Not RG3.

They asked him in the press conference. He said he thought about it but then went with his "gut". He wasn't using logic or intelligence. He was going with his gut.

Even when the team doctor said he was worried about RG3's health to USA Today

As far as I'm concerned?

A bad coaching decision.

But again, I said that he should have been rested against a run-for-the-bus Philly team so he had two weeks of rest and rehab instead of one week.

I'm not against the decision to start him against Dallas in week 17 because Washington was competing directly with Dallas for the playoffs.

And I can see where Shanny wanted to start him today but I thought after that roll-out play near the goal line it was obvious that he had worsened the injury and that Cousins should have been put in at that point, much earlier than what happened.

Finally, all of this is ignoring the fact that the nation's leading orthopedic surgeon, James Andrews, stated that he did not clear RGIII to return to play in the game against Baltimore. Either Andrews or Shanny lied about this.

Shanny keeps passing the buck saying the doctor this and Robert that. Bottom line, Shanny or his boy, the OC, needed to make the decision to pull him from the game when he reinjured his knee in the first half. He was obviously playing on one leg at that point and as good as he is, RGIII is not better on one leg than Kirk Cousins.

and it wasnt a subtle thing. it was so obvious he was operating at about 30%. strange strange decision making by Shanny

I was listening to the Redskins radio broadcast for awhile, and they were already commenting on RGIII's lack of mobility on the first few drives. He definitely didn't have that extra gear when he scrambled and he certainly couldn't plant and drive the ball as per usual.

As far as Griffin suggesting the injury wasn't responsible for his struggles, what else would he say?

Bad coaching decision IMO.

No, it is a bad decision my the training staff. He shouldn't have been available to the coach, if the injury was as described. The trainer has to have final say as to the availability of a player.

Agreed. Existing knee injury exacerbated by horrible field conditions = risky and stupid decision by Shanahan with his Franchise QB.

Absolutely a bad decision from a long-term franchise standpoint. But also a very poor short term decision. Who cares what the doctor says? I could see from my couch that the guy was about 50% or less. He was completely ineffective after the second TD when he reinjured the knee. If Shanahan had the balls to put Cousins in at that point there is every reason to think they would have won that game. Counsins is no scrub. That's the part that makes no sense to me. I wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes, like bad blood between Cousins and RGIII. Pure speculation on my part, but it might explain the terrible decision-making by Shanahan.

Edited by mannc

Absolutely a bad decision from a long-term franchise standpoint. But also a very poor short term decision. Who cares what the doctor says? I could see from my couch that the guy was about 50% or less. He was completely ineffective after the second TD when he reinjured the knee. If Shanahan had the balls to put Cousins in at that point there is every reason to think they would have won that game. Counsins is no scrub. That's the part that makes no sense to me. I wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes, like bad blood between Cousins and RGIII. Pure speculation on my part, but it might explain the terrible decision-making by Shanahan.

Not true, they get along just fine. They have supported each other throughout the season and Cousins looked genuinely concerned when RG3 went down. When Cousins won his first start, RG3 was the first person to meet him on the field and congratulate him.

RG3 is all class and Cousins is to boot. The decision to not go with him when RG3 was obviously hurt was pure Shanahan stupidity. Of course RG3 will stand up for his coach because that's the kind of guy he is.

I just read an article that said the MRI is inconclusive. Where are these reports from?

everything ive read has been coach speak for "looks real bad but we dont want to say anything" so i was surprised by how specific this comment was.

Maybe RG III didn't want to lose the starting job to Cousin's by injury ala Alex Smith.