Bills have the 9th most runs in the NFL...there goes that argument...

Big Turk

Bills have attempted the 9th most runs in the NFL this year with 342, or 46.4% of their total offensive plays. Factor in Washington's total is inflated by Griffin's runs and Bills likely are 8th in actual RB rushes.

Buffalo also has run a fairly low 736 offensive plays, which means their percentage of plays that are runs might be higher than 8th as well...

The argument the Bills don't run as much as other teams is completely false...we run more than most of them...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had a plate in my head and there was a "bang your head against the wall contest"...I'd be sure to bang it against the wall alot more than 9th out of 32. I suppose the point is, we have two very good runing backs and we are not utilizing them to our full capacity or taking full advantage of them....especially when we have a "limited" QB.

By the way, it is a good stat and I am glad we are running the ball more...I'd be interested in seeing how those rushes broke down between the start of the season vs. the last four games.

Edited by BringBackFergy

1-3 for Fitz. The line has improved.

This weekend expect that stat to increase. maybe.

David Snow might be alright though. Who is the other guy ?

should be fun to watch the right side of the o line this weekend.

I bet we run right and make a point that CJ and Fred can move the chains no matter what.

These two guys are big and can push the scrimmage. no fancy zone stuff yet. just run hard. and our propass blind side is still secure with Cordy and andrew. Urbik is no slouch at center.

we got the weather . Lets keep the ball on the ground. and pound

go Bills

We should also factor in the number of screen plays we call to our RBs. The Bills are considered very good at that and screens are often referred to as "extended running plays". Around 1/3rd of each RBs touches are receptions. My guess is that most are screens. Finally, given how far behind the Bills have been in most games, it's a miracle they rank 9th in rushing attempts. On the flip side, the Bills haven't been in a position to milk the clock with the lead very often this season.

How many times has fitz rushed? I bet 4 to 5 times per game. Not bashing ya just saying he takes off and runs frequently as well.

So do most non-rushing QB's in the NFL. His running abilities are slightly above average for a QB, but he certainly doesn't take off enough to inflate the statistic in question.

We should also factor in the number of screen plays we call to our RBs. The Bills are considered very good at that and screens are often referred to as "extended running plays". Around 1/3rd of each RBs touches are receptions. My guess is that most are screens. Finally, given how far behind the Bills have been in most games, it's a miracle they rank 9th in rushing attempts. On the flip side, the Bills haven't been in a position to milk the clock with the lead very often this season.

A very good point. The Bills and the Pats* run the best screen game in the NFL

I believe the problem stems from we're near the bottom of the league in redzone rushing attempts when we have one of the highest ypc avg in short yardage situations. I'll try to find the actual stats for this, but considering how good our running game is and how bad our redzone offense has been it really makes no sense

Bills have attempted the 9th most runs in the NFL this year with 342, or 46.4% of their total offensive plays. Factor in Washington's total is inflated by Griffin's runs and Bills likely are 8th in actual RB rushes.

Buffalo also has run a fairly low 736 offensive plays, which means their percentage of plays that are runs might be higher than 8th as well...

The argument the Bills don't run as much as other teams is completely false...we run more than most of them...

Yep, if that WAS the argument. I think the more important argument is WHEN. The most frustrating thing is when we run the ball well and then for some reason get away from it. The Colts game was what seemed like the 5th time this season we've had an RB averaging 5 yards a carry in the 1st half and get pass happy in the 2nd.

Yep, if that WAS the argument. I think the more important argument is WHEN. The most frustrating thing is when we run the ball well and then for some reason get away from it. The Colts game was what seemed like the 5th time this season we've had an RB averaging 5 yards a carry in the 1st half and get pass happy in the 2nd.

THIS ^^^^^

When Fitz is your QB and CJ and fred are your RB's you should be first in runs and the #2 shouldnt even be close

This, in principle.

Last year when the dust settled, there were 2 teams that ran more than they passed (49ers and Texans).

Both had about a 55%/45% run/pass split. Both were in the playoffs - the Texans with a 3rd string rookie at QB.

From the OP, if we're at 46%/54% run pass split, that's better than we did last year but it's still backwards of what we should be.

The other question is WHEN we run. What causes some of us to pull our hair and gnash our teeth is Chan Gailey's persistant love of emptying the backfield, telegraphing pass, and then passing on 3rd and short. Enough already, Chan, flouting conventional wisdom is only admirable when it works.

this aint high school bud

And your point?