Javon Belcher Update

There's a reason the NFL has been doing the community service ads against domestic violence. This is one of the situations we know about. I expect it's a very pervasive issue, mostly still behind closed doors. As it is in the rest of America. Say what you will about the middle east, at least they're right out front and center in abusing their wives, girlfriends and daughters. And after the initial outrage, about the same amount of action is taken to stop it.

Not much can be done. As I stated in a prior post that was deleted, ultimately, the responibility for stopping the abuse lies with the abused. We don't have thought police pre-crime units, and can't put people in jail for things they haven't done yet, the actions society can take are only able to be implemented after the abuse has occured, it's already a crime, and any man who would do harm to another person whom he has a physical advantage over is hardly the sort who would respond to someone else saying "No! Don't! It's wrong!", as they either don't care, are mentally unstable, or disagree.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Former Omaha TV Anchor and Congressional Candidate Arrested

A former Omaha television newsman who once ran for Congress has been accused of domestic violence. Authorities say Michael Scott was arrested on Thursday. His estranged girlfriend had told police that Scott choked her, hit her in an eye and ripped off two fake fingernails while threatening to kill her last weekend.

The inherent beliefs of a privileged class that they're "special", that the rules don't apply to them, that they're above the law is one of the root causes of this tragedy. There are a lot of athletes who have trouble coping with their rage - whether it's chemically induced, trauma induced, gene pool induced, or they're a product of a dirt ball upbringing.

The NFL and other leagues should ban players convicted of domestic assault. They are thugs that do not deserve the money and adulation that owners, fans and media shower on them constantly.

Well there goes 75% of the NFL.

That doesn't do anything to discount that a concussion could've been related. It does however fit everything that's been trickling out about the situation though. Highly volatile relationship, lots of issues etc....

I'm not on the concussion caused it bandwagon, but I do think it made the situation more volatile, and added layers of stress a few different ways though. The last thing these two needed was more problems in the house.

Even without it, it's sounding more and more like something terrible was on the horizon though

This guy had issues with women going back a few years. He had a girlfreind on the side who he spent part of the night with before going back to blow away the mother of his child. This a guy with problems that I bet had little to do with taking blows to the head.

It is situation of opportunity. The gun was there... He used it. Again, opportunity... If he had to hunt around for a tool to do the job, maybe it would have gave him time to decompress from the emotional situation he was in. Things snowballed, when the impulse got the best of him, he used the most efficient instrument @ his disposal. IMO, the murder just took him down the road to finishing himself off.

Take a look back in the history of posters on these very forums... How many murders and suicides have there been with just the small number of posters in this community. I am not blaming the weapons... We got problems in this society...

It is situation of opportunity. The gun was there... He used it. Again, opportunity... If he had to hunt around for a tool to do the job, maybe it would have gave him time to decompress from the emotional situation he was in. Things snowballed, when the impulse got the best of him, he used the most efficient instrument @ his disposal. IMO, the murder just took him down the road to finishing himself off.

Take a look back in the history of posters on these very forums... How many murders and suicides have there been with just the small number of posters in this community. I am not blaming the weapons... We got problems in this society...

Problems which, strangely enough, seem awfully similar to the problems in, well, every other society. I'm guessing the problem lies with the human factor.

Sorry. I lost my head there. Yes, the manly art of wife beating should continue unabated to the end zone/bank.

Are you joking? You can't really think this. Your theory's off on 2 points:

1. Not every domestic assault charge is a product of wife beating. Obviously a lot of them are, but they're often the product of overzealous prosecutors fulfilling their agenda driven goal who get used by angry chicks who are mad at their husband/bf for cheating or not taking the beating she was administering. This happens A LOT more than people might think.

2. Does anyone seriously think this would have any kind of significant impact on domestic violence? Really? How many battered women would be saved if the man knew a conviction would keep him out of the NFL? I'm guessing not many.

If instead of a gun there had been a hammer this might well have ended differently for him (maybe he drives off a cliff?) but somehow I think the result would be the same for her.

And I don't think this guy being !@#$ed up is a reflection of our society.

Edited by Rob's House

If instead of a gun there had been a hammer this might well have ended differently for him (maybe he drives off a cliff?) but somehow I think the result would be the same for her.

its a tough spot to speculate. one could just as easily say he pushes her, maybe punches a few times and storms out. maybe it gives mom enough time to crack his rage.

who the heck knows. its not fair to say what happens if the guns not there. the only certainty is she wouldnt be shot. would she be alive? possibly. (and thats not me advocating gun control, just discouraging people deciding what they think would have happened).

its a tough spot to speculate. one could just as easily say he pushes her, maybe punches a few times and storms out. maybe it gives mom enough time to crack his rage.

who the heck knows. its not fair to say what happens if the guns not there. the only certainty is she wouldnt be shot. would she be alive? possibly. (and thats not me advocating gun control, just discouraging people deciding what they think would have happened).

It's also [still] possible that the Bills could win the SB this year.

It's also [still] possible that the Bills could win the SB this year.

and i think its ridiculous to compare odds of her being alive with a gun not present, to fitz rattling off about 10 wins right now.

again, im not saying guns are bad with this statement, but without the gun, who the hell knows what happens.

and i think its ridiculous to compare odds of her being alive with a gun not present, to fitz rattling off about 10 wins right now.

again, im not saying guns are bad with this statement, but without the gun, who the hell knows what happens.

I'm not trying to pick on you here, but this is about as poor a case as any to hold up as an example for gun control. This is a big strong pro athlete who could rip most people limb from limb with his bare hands; he didn't need the gun to kill her. And it's not like this was an instant impulse; he shot her NINE TIMES.

Sure it's possible this doesn't happen, but there's little to no evidence to support that theory.

While I generally support the right to own guns I know a lot of people who I respect that have opposing views on the issue. If any of them forwarded me this case as an argument for gun control I would cease to have respect for their views on the topic.

I'm not trying to pick on you here, but this is about as poor a case as any to hold up as an example for gun control. This is a big strong pro athlete who could rip most people limb from limb with his bare hands; he didn't need the gun to kill her. And it's not like this was an instant impulse; he shot her NINE TIMES.

Sure it's possible this doesn't happen, but there's little to no evidence to support that theory.

While I generally support the right to own guns I know a lot of people who I respect that have opposing views on the issue. If any of them forwarded me this case as an argument for gun control I would cease to have respect for their views on the topic.

heres the thing - your arguing against something im not saying. Im not advocating the government taking his guns away in any way shape or form. Im not holding this up as an example of the need for gun control.

what i am saying is that if that house didnt have 8 guns laying around in it ranging from rifles to handguns to automatics.... she wouldnt have caught nine bullets in her. would she have been stabbed or beaten to death? very possibly. maybe even probably. could he have walked away with her something short of dead? very possibly. that doesnt mean that i want to take everyones guns away because of one brain damaged hot head that may or may not have been impaired and keeps guns laying around his house. i get that hes an individual case, and anyone that uses a single case as an end all for the argument is silly.

im not saying take peoples guns away, im saying its a pointless argument to say she was dead no matter what. He mightve stormed out, he mightve beaten her for 30 seconds and walked away, he might have stabbed her 32 times. we just dont know. having a gun in the situation may have dramatically changed the dynamic. 9 shots is extreme but depending on what he used it may have been just seconds. he may have broken down completely after 2 and lost his mind and wanted to make sure she wasnt suffering. who the hell knows besides mom, and i have yet to see her statement on the incident. to act like you know she would be dead no matter what... it just isnt a fair argument.

and no, that isnt advocating gun control.

heres the thing - your arguing against something im not saying. Im not advocating the government taking his guns away in any way shape or form. Im not holding this up as an example of the need for gun control.

what i am saying is that if that house didnt have 8 guns laying around in it ranging from rifles to handguns to automatics.... she wouldnt have caught nine bullets in her. would she have been stabbed or beaten to death? very possibly. maybe even probably. could he have walked away with her something short of dead? very possibly. that doesnt mean that i want to take everyones guns away because of one brain damaged hot head that may or may not have been impaired and keeps guns laying around his house. i get that hes an individual case, and anyone that uses a single case as an end all for the argument is silly.

im not saying take peoples guns away, im saying its a pointless argument to say she was dead no matter what. He mightve stormed out, he mightve beaten her for 30 seconds and walked away, he might have stabbed her 32 times. we just dont know. having a gun in the situation may have dramatically changed the dynamic. 9 shots is extreme but depending on what he used it may have been just seconds. he may have broken down completely after 2 and lost his mind and wanted to make sure she wasnt suffering. who the hell knows besides mom, and i have yet to see her statement on the incident. to act like you know she would be dead no matter what... it just isnt a fair argument.

and no, that isnt advocating gun control.

Then what is your point? That guns and tense situations can yield tragic results? Or that bullets rarely if ever propel themselves into human beings in the absence of guns?

Edited by Jauronimo

Then what is your point? That guns and tense situations can yield tragic results? Or that bullets rarely if ever propel themselves into human beings in the absence of guns?

that raging on the gun control issue with this is silly in general. from both sides. saying she was dead no matter what is no more reasonable than arguing that we must ban all guns immediately because of this.

its an isolated incident. a gun made it a more explosive (more potentially lethal) incident. nothing more, nothing less. anything else is trying to turn this into something that its not.

i know, weird, not every incident has to be politicized by either side. even if the gun made the situation more volatile, it doesnt mean we have to revisit gun laws, or staunchly defend gun rights.

Problems which, strangely enough, seem awfully similar to the problems in, well, every other society. I'm guessing the problem lies with the human factor.

True. So true. But why make it easy w/the task @ hand? One wants to do a job, you grab the most efficient tool available and/or handy. One thing about American society, we are grossly efficient @ times.

Maybe, maybe not... It is what it is. There is no argument that a firearm makes the operator of that weapon deadly efficient with ease of operation.