Javon Belcher Update

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avoid the volatile situation? He was sleeping. I suppose you let sleeping dogs stay sleeping. In the end, you are right, may not have changed anything... Or else he may have decompressed his anger a bit... Who knows??

You need to read up on the whole story and then maybe you'll get it.

I saw that. They couldn't compel him to go inside if he didn't want to... But he did go inside.. Maybe they should have just left him sleep in his car... ??

If you are going to question the cops on anything, or try to say they could have (unknowingly) prevented the situation somehow... then get on them for letting him go on DUI. If they booked him for being intoxicated while sleeping behind the wheel of a running car, he spends the rest of the morning in jail dealing with his own, self-inflicted problems and doesnt make it home. Now, what happens after he gets out of jail, no one can say. Maybe he still murders her and kills himself. Or maybe not.

If you are going to question the cops on anything, or try to say they could have (unknowingly) prevented the situation somehow... then get on them for letting him go on DUI. If they booked him for being intoxicated while sleeping behind the wheel of a running car, he spends the rest of the morning in jail dealing with his own, self-inflicted problems and doesnt make it home. Now, what happens after he gets out of jail, no one can say. Maybe he still murders her and kills himself. Or maybe not.

In some places, that's not actually illegal. Don't know if it's still true, but I know 15 years ago in NYS the cops actually had to see you driving to arrest you for DUI.

In some places, that's not actually illegal. Don't know if it's still true, but I know 15 years ago in NYS the cops actually had to see you driving to arrest you for DUI.

ive heard it said, but not by any trusted authority, that he could not be arrested. although the officers repeatedly act like they are doing him a favor or cutting him a break that he did not do anything illegal to be arrested for at that point. not sure of the local standard, as i am fairly sure that will get you arrested in some places.

Edited by NoSaint

ive heard it said, but not by any trusted authority, that he could not be arrested. although the officers repeatedly act like they are doing him a favor or cutting him a break that he did not do anything illegal to be arrested for at that point. not sure of the local standard, as i am fairly sure that will get you arrested in some places.

Like Bruce Smith? Yet, he was on the side of a road... Not in an official parking spot... Does that have anything bearing on things? Also, @ the apartment... That is like being in your driveway, right?

Like Bruce Smith? Yet, he was on the side of a road... Not in an official parking spot... Does that have anything bearing on things? Also, @ the apartment... That is like being in your driveway, right?

I'd imagine being on the road would likely make some difference.

Update:

The Long Island mother of Kansas City Chiefs football player Jovan Belcher told investigators her son argued with his girlfriend Kasandra Perkins over their baby’s paternity before he shot her dead and killed himself, The Post has learned. Cheryl Shepherd — who was in her son’s suburban Missouri home the morning he shot Perkins nine times — told investigators after the shootings that there were questions about whether the West Babylon, LI-raised linebacker was the father of the couple’s 3-month-old daughter, Zoey, said sources familiar with the situation.

“The mother believed that there was an issue over whether [belcher] was the father,” said a source close to the Chiefs with knowledge of the situation.

“She said he [believed he] wasn’t necessarily the father of the child.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/baby_talk_triggered_nfl_slays_iMxUWTwfaiKszh4wGgLjPJ

• 1 year later...

What are the chiefs responsible for ? Heard a little about this, seems strange she would want to bring his name back up.

I guess he was the $$$ pipeline for her ? I'm not connecting the dots on the murder/suicide/employer liability.

Her gravy train shot himself in their facility, they let him in with the gun. Likely she is claiming they didn't do enough to help him.

Lost in all of this is the horrid tense shifting featured in the NY Post story's lede.

KANSAS CITY, Mo — Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher leaned over his mortally wounded gal pal, kissed her on the forehead and apologized to his mom, before fleeing to team headquarters and killed himself, according to published reports today.

What are the chiefs responsible for ? Heard a little about this, seems strange she would want to bring his name back up.

I guess he was the $$$ pipeline for her ? I'm not connecting the dots on the murder/suicide/employer liability.

Wrongful death lawsuit on the premise that the Chiefs didn't do enough to prevent repetitive head trauma.

They'll settle out of court, and she'll get a good payday. There's no way the Chiefs or the NFL want this to see a courtroom, just for PR reasons.

Wrongful death lawsuit on the premise that the Chiefs didn't do enough to prevent repetitive head trauma.

They'll settle out of court, and she'll get a good payday. There's no way the Chiefs or the NFL want this to see a courtroom, just for PR reasons.

Show her the money.

It was a no-brainer. Sue for the apple, settle for a slice, either way you'll at least get some peelings.

This suit cannot be won. No jury is going to agree that the Chief's acted irresponsibly when the guy arrived with the intent to kill himself.

As for the "repetitive head trauma", it is impossible to attatch that to the Chiefs. All experts will testify that they have no idea when this process starts but they all will say that it is likely an accumulation over a lifetime of playing football of hundreds or thousands of subconcussive blows.

This is why the players settled for pennies on the dollar in their class action suit. They couldn't prove any of these CTE cases happened solely in the NFL. And science so far won't support the timeline and direct causality they needed to win a suit against the league.

This suit cannot be won. No jury is going to agree that the Chief's acted irresponsibly when the guy arrived with the intent to kill himself.

The suit cannot be lost, either. The NFL cannot have it's shield be attributed to what happened anymore. They need to make this go away. The Chiefs and Shield will settle this out of court. The court will take one look at the crying mother and then look at what this team did to them and it's just going to be too sad for TV. The latter part is what matters, the TV. The NFL doesn't care if they lose $1mm or $10mm to clean their hands of this - they just want their hands washed.

The suit cannot be lost, either. The NFL cannot have it's shield be attributed to what happened anymore. They need to make this go away. The Chiefs and Shield will settle this out of court. The court will take one look at the crying mother and then look at what this team did to them and it's just going to be too sad for TV. The latter part is what matters, the TV. The NFL doesn't care if they lose $1mm or $10mm to clean their hands of this - they just want their hands washed.

Plus, the fact that the league settled with the players at all is a practical admission of liability that could be used against them in this suit.

As for the "repetitive head trauma", it is impossible to attatch that to the Chiefs. All experts will testify that they have no idea when this process starts but they all will say that it is likely an accumulation over a lifetime of playing football of hundreds or thousands of subconcussive blows.

This is why the players settled for pennies on the dollar in their class action suit. They couldn't prove any of these CTE cases happened solely in the NFL. And science so far won't support the timeline and direct causality they needed to win a suit against the league.

The dilemma they would face here that's unique is that allegedly he was having pretty severe mental problems and the chiefs were allegedly fine with a tape him up and send him back out approach. I don't think CTE is the crux of the issue as much as him having blackouts and long term memory loss, large mood swings, drug/alcohol abuse etc... And they were having the doctors focus on sprains and bruises instead of glaring mental health issues. Remember, he's still a guy that was under daily care of team physicians,

Now how that effects the legal arguments I won't pretend to know, but I think it shifts out of the realm of a 50 year old 10 year retiree committing suicide, and discussions of if team doctors are there to protect the health of the men walking on the field- if so, what happened? Did they try to intervene on these issues or look the other way as long as he could run?

All that said it still amazes me that friends and family shared stories about all his issues and in the same breath outlined how the house was littered with loaded guns and seemingly not answer to the obvious "why didn't you intervene on the guns, if nothing else"

Edited by NoSaint