Fitz / Gailey and some facts

rpcolosi

It's been awhile since I've posted, but Bills fans are completely losing their mind with the "Fire Chan" "Fire Wannstedt" and "Bench Fitz" remarks. It's almost as if everyone has forgot where the Bills were less than 3 years ago. So, here is a little history lesson as well as some current stats/facts (This is for you specifically Jerry Sullivan and James Walker):

Where we were in 2009:

Offensively

1.) The last time our Offense was ranked better than 23 was in 2004, #7. Under Gailey we have been 28th, 14th, and currently sit 16th. That was 7 years straight of bottom 1/4 of the league in Offense reversed after Gailey's first season.

2.) The last time we had a QB throw for over 20 + TD in a season was Bledsoe in 04 and 06. Fitz has now thrown 20+ TDs in 3 straight season. The last time a Bills QB threw 20+ TDs in back to back seasons was....

3.) 300yd passer: The Bills went almost 40+ games without a 300 yd passing game, which changed when Fitz relieved Trent and almost upset the Pats in Foxboro in 2010.

4.) Sacks -

Jauron- 2006: 40 2007: 26 2008: 24 2009: 32

Gailey - 2010: 27 2011: 29 2012: 31 (4 games to go)

There is some tangible evidence and improvement on D, however slight.

5.) Tight Ends (good and Bad): Until Coach Gailey, Buffalo hasn't had a TE catch more than 5 TD passes since my middle school days of Pete Metzelars. We hadn't had a relative TE since my HS days of Jay Riemersma. Under Coach Gailey we've actually turned the TE into a viable option. On the flip side, according to Football Outsiders, we are currently the #1 defense defending tight ends this season. This is against TEs such as Vernon Davis, Rob Gronkowski and Owen Daniels (all of whom played decently, not great, against us might I add). Under Coach Jauron we were consistently one of the worst teams defending TEs.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2012

Case against Gailey/Stache:

Run Defense (obviously)

1.) In 2009, Jauron's last season, we were ranked 30th against the run at 156.3 ypg and 4.7 ypc (our #2 pass defense was obviously skewed because of the bad run D). In 2007 we were 22nd against the run, giving up 121.6 ypg and 4.3 ypc. In 2007 it was 25th against the run at 4.4 ypc and 124.6 ypg. In 2006 we were 28th at 4.7 ypc and 140.9 ypg.

--- In 2010, our first year with Coach Gailey, we were dead last, 32nd against the run at 170 ypg and a torrid 4.8 ypc against. 2011, we were 28th at 4.8 ypc and 139 ypg. Currently, we are 30th at 4.9 ypc and 139.2 ypg.

Our run D was never great with Jauron, but it bottomed out with Gailey and George Edwards. If Wannstedt can continue to have this units ypg decrease the rest of the season, it will be a definite endorsement to stay the course with the 4-3 (and maybe get another MLB).

Case against Gailey/Fitz:

1.) Play Calling / untimely turnovers - Neither of these are easy to quantify. There is no stat for INTs when down by 4 in the 4th quarter. There is no stat to say "40+ runs/game leads to a W." All we have is fan opinion. Just like "clutch" it can't be quantified. Does fitz have a poor comeback record? Absolutely. Has our defense lost a fair number of games in the 4th quarter for him (ie: Tennessee this year)? You bet. Has Gailey blown some calls? You know it. Should he run more? No doubt.

But is the answer to fire them? Not a chance. Need proof? Look at a few current coaches who really struggled, didn't make the playoffs early on and who's fan bases wanted them canned - Marvin Lewis, Lovie Smith, Gary Kubiak. All 3 of them have teams in playoff contention. I won't go into history, but Buddy has been around enough. You don't blow it up every 3 years.

Where we are with Fitz?

1.) He is currently ranked? Right above Joe Flacco and right behind Phillip Rivers. He is sandwiched between a couple of 1st round picks. What do Bills fans want? There isn't an RG III or Luck in every class. You can't want a team to win and still have a shot at these players! When we were top 3, the best QB, Cam Newton, was gone before we had the option. Tanking the season is now how you progress. You develop a winning culture, and seeing as Fitz is better than 15 other QBs in the league right now, there aren't many better options out there. It should be noted he has better stats (completion %, TDs, INTs and Rating) than the following "Big Name" guys: Flacco, Palmer, Cutler, Eli, Bradford, Stafford, Vick, and Luck. Bills fans can't have it all. Fitz doesn't have the Yards per attempt of Luck (6.6 to 7.1) but he has fewer INTs and more TDs.

Bottom line - This team will be in far worse shape losing these 3. Buddy Nix is right - stay the course. Improve the Defense. Get a 2nd WR, draft better tackling LBs, stay healthy, and get better play from the young CBs. This team isn't far off. They just aren't going as fast as we fans want.

So, you're saying going from complete crap to mediocre in three season is where we need to go or should be happy with? While what you presented here is good and all - THE BILLS are still at the bottom of the NFL after 13 seasons. It took Chan/Fitz/Wanny three years to make us mediocre! GREAT!

STATS! Really? Stats? NOT WINS? Stats? Really?

This is a great reason for me to continue to spend my money to see them play?

Fitz doesn't have a lot of what Luck has ---- WINS! That's what matters most.

PLEASE see Chan's winning percent in three seasons. PLEASE!

Garbage is what this is!

Despite those wanting to say Fitz is a back-up QB....that means 2/3 of the QB in the leage are back-up QBs. He has been better than three guys the Bills used 1st rounddraft picks on as a Bills' QB (not better than Bledsoe obviously in Bledsoe's career but better Bills career than Bledsoe).

The offense has been MUCH better with Gailey and Fitz than it had been. That's the obvious fact. The problem is, it's still not good enough.

But overall, a decent offensive team and certainly good enough to win had we had an even averafe defense and not the 30-32nd ranked defense over the past few years.

gailey has made our team exciting to watch many people did forget the days of Jauron. Gailey made a system that made our players as good as they can be and get our receivers open, I remember it seemed that our QBs on Jauron's teams could never find the open receiver.( was there open receivers?)

gailey and if the D keeps playing and growing the way that they are wanny can stick around.

with fitz you cant just say he throws touchdowns and forget about the touchdowns/firstdowns that he misses. wide open guys running down the field that he misses if he hit all of those this year our offense would be on another level and teams could not stack the box. That is what our fan base sees.

Edited by buffalover4life

I agree with the OP. When Nix & Gailey took over it wasn't similar to Harbaugh coming to SF that just needed tweaking. It was an all out rebuild. Sure, a lot of the pieces were there, but a lot weren't. 7 of our opening day defensive starters, and 6 on offense (including Spiller), weren't even on the team. If the team closes out the season strong you definitely bring these guys back.

Its so exciting to watch Fitz throw 5 yard square ins 40 times a game!

This entire thread screams, "I love losing!"

in 2009 we averaged 16.1 points a game.

we are now averaging 23.1 points a game.

in 2009 we averaged 273.9 ypg total offense ranked 30th

now we average 346 ypg.

yes more exciting.

Edited by buffalover4life

Some good points raised. I think a key point that people tend to forget is the turnover in starting personnel. This team looks a lot different than the team did 3 years ago. This is nothing like Harbaugh coming to San Francisco where almost everything was already good to go from a player perspective and he just needed to change attitude. You don't take a team like Buffalo, that didn't have the personnel to compete, and make them a playoff contender over night. Regardless, Gailey has to get it under control as far as the play calling is concerned. He's got to find more ways of doing what he did this last weekend in terms of getting both Spiller and Jackson the ball to give them opportunities to make plays and keep the offense on the field. That will help the passing game as well as keep the defense fresh. Most important in that regard is that I want to see this happen against the better teams.

So, you're saying going from complete crap to mediocre in three season is where we need to go or should be happy with? While what you presented here is good and all - THE BILLS are still at the bottom of the NFL after 13 seasons. It took Chan/Fitz/Wanny three years to make us mediocre! GREAT!

Garbage is what this is!

It's called rebuilding. How many draft picks do we still have on our team since 2000. You call for everyone's head, and that's 3 more years of certain mediocrity where we will be bound to lose some of the talent we already amassed.

Dick Jauron/Perry Fewell: 27-37 (06-09) with Marv Levy and Russ Brandon the GM's.

Chan Gailey: 15-29 (10-present) with Buddy Nix leading the front office.

Is there anything else that matters? And why after 2+ seasons rebuilding can this franchise not win more than 35% of their games?

I love EXCITING football! Hmmm, please give me some more exciting football! Gosh, I don't know what I will do with myself right now...we are so exciting!

That Chan Gailey, he is such an exciting coach! He's got our beloved Bills as exciting as ever!

Let's see all the "FIRST season with new team" coaches:

Jeff Fisher - ONE season so far is 5-6-1 (with a freakin competitive team) now that's EXCITING!

Joe Philbin is 5-7 - Barely any talent on the Dolphins

Bruce Arians/Pagano - 8-4 (they were supposed to be a rebuilding team)

and for good measure:

SAINTS - No Coach is 5-7

Seattle - 7-5 and 2nd year coach still better and EXCITING!

I AM SO EXCITED about Chan...(insert SARCASM)

Who calling for everyones head?

Simply get a new coaching staff in here thats got a clue how to win football games. The 49ers are a prime example of this.

BINGO! = right back at ya bro...I think people are just missing the point...

Bottom line - This team will be in far worse shape losing these 3. Buddy Nix is right - stay the course. Improve the Defense. Get a 2nd WR, draft better tackling LBs, stay healthy, and get better play from the young CBs. This team isn't far off. They just aren't going as fast as we fans want.

I can sympathize with your Fitz sympathy. I still am holding on!

But Nix?Gailey have whiffed on every major staffing decision so far. The defense still blows. The offense may be "more exciting", to us Bills fans anyway, but it isn't producing the wins and Gailey still makes strange game plans and game day decisions.

Simply put, 3 years into the Chan/Buddy experiment, we are no better than we were. We are still a team that can beat teams that are worse than us, in fact that is Chan's entire resume.

How can you know we would be "far worse shape without these three"? Strange comment to make.

Edited by Mr. WEO

we do need an upgrade on fitz and gailey but heres the reality. the QB class for 2013 is weak and no good head coach wants to come to buffalo. everyone always says lets take a chance on a qb in the first round well remember when we did in 2004 with jp losman? if there is no qb you are confident in dont take him and as bad as this sounds, try to draft a qb in the 2nd-4th round and start fitz next year and have the young QB learn under for a year

It's called rebuilding. How many draft picks do we still have on our team since 2000. You call for everyone's head, and that's 3 more years of certain mediocrity where we will be bound to lose some of the talent we already amassed.

Jeez, how many do we have still on the team since 2009?

i agree chan is not a good coach but who do you want for next year? no good coach is going to come to buffalo

we do need an upgrade on fitz and gailey but heres the reality. the QB class for 2013 is weak and no good head coach wants to come to buffalo. everyone always says lets take a chance on a qb in the first round well remember when we did in 2004 with jp losman? if there is no qb you are confident in dont take him and as bad as this sounds, try to draft a qb in the 2nd-4th round and start fitz next year and have the young QB learn under for a year

First of all, how do you know what makes a good head coach? Did you think Harbaugh was a good head coach before he went to SF? What about Shanahan, the guy on track for his THIRD straight ten loss season.

So what good head coach are you talking about that's on the market and ready to lead his new team to the superbowl but won't come to Buffalo? Is it Gruden? Cowher? the guys that won't coach ANYWHERE in the league?

You sound like Sully. Is that where you get your information on the available HC's and their refusal to coach here? Yikes. Free agent players, you might have a point, but unless you run in coaching circles you have no clue.

In 2009 we won 7 games.

In 2012 we are on pace to win 7 games.

Yes, we still suck.

Its this mentality that makes Russ Brandons job soooo easy every god damn year. A lot of Bills fans are clueless.

In 2009 we won 6 games. And the team was on the decline, not the other way around.

Dick Jauron/Perry Fewell: 27-37 (06-09) with Marv Levy and Russ Brandon the GM's.

Is there anything else that matters? And why after 2+ seasons rebuilding can this franchise not win more than 35% of their games?

5-7 means the bills have won 42% of their games.

And Jauron found the team in a lot better shape than he left it.

Uhhhhh, I'll take "It's Hard to Win in the NFL" for $500 Alex

First of all, how do you know what makes a good head coach? Did you think Harbaugh was a good head coach before he went to SF? What about Shanahan, the guy on track for his THIRD straight ten loss season.

So what good head coach are you talking about that's on the market and ready to lead his new team to the superbowl but won't come to Buffalo? Is it Gruden? Cowher? the guys that won't coach ANYWHERE in the league?

You sound like Sully. Is that where you get your information on the available HC's and their refusal to coach here? Yikes. Free agent players, you might have a point, but unless you run in coaching circles you have no clue.

what do you mean? harbaughs potential was through the roof coming into the nfl. he was the best available coach coming out of college so yes i would say alot of people thought he was going to be a great nfl head coach, just like this year chip kelly is the highest coach maybe coming out of college. buffalo is not going to get a highlynamed coach is what im saying, we might hit a diamond in a rough but we are not going to get a big coach coming outta college or a proven coach coming here and thats pretty much a fact so im not sure what your trying to argue here

Case against:

- The last two years are among the historically worst defenses in team history (and that includes some terrible years)

- We are virtually elimintated from the post-season by mid-November in all 3 seasons with 3 months of NFL football to go

- We still don't have a franchise QB on the roster

- We continue to be out-coached in close games

Garbage is what this is!

All of this, but the bold especially. Ugly wins are still wins. I hate to bring up the poster boy for wins with absolute garbage stats...

Good point, and a likely scenario. But do you really want to draft a middle of the road rookie quarterback. And, have him sitting on the pine "learning" from Fitz?

Big shout out to Gailey who with a lead yesterday, let Lindell hit a 50 yard FG in the rain and wind. Obviously,a lot safer kick than in a dome when he passed on it a week earlier. Thanks Chan!! it was so exciting!

Shanahan is on his way to a 10 loss season? Really? Do Bills fans actually watch other NFL teams/games?

Washington has one of the best young QBs in the league, they just won a huge primetime game, they are right in the thick of the playoff hunt and 1 game back of the "world's champions" (to use Chan's term) in the division and the future looks bright as can be for that team. That's all without 2 of their best defensive players who went on IR early in the season.

But yeah, Chan Gailey and Ryan Fitzpatrick are certainly better than Shanahan and RGIII. Yuppers!

Stats do not tell the whole story. Passing numbers are inflated more every year. Last season a few QBs threw for over 5,000 yards, which stood as an almost unreachable mark for almost a generation. The rules favor the pasing game. It seems like you get a pass interference penalty on about 1/3 deep passes. Illegal contact and holding are also rampant.

Fitzpatrick is better than Trent, Losman, Holcomb, Van Pelt, etc. But he is not good enough to win consistently in the NFL. I say that because when it comes to losing about 2/3 of the games he starts, "We've seen him do it!"

Dick Jauron won 21 games in his first 3 seasons here. Chan Gailey has won 15 so far. That does not indicate in any way that he is clearly a better head coach than Jauron was.

Nix has done okay. Dareus is a bit disappointing, but Spiller is great, and Gilmore looks exciting. Chandler and Mario were good pickups. When you look at the biggest "names" on this team, many were already here when Nix got here:

Fitzpatrick

Freddy

Stevie

Eric Wood

Levitre

Kelsay

Kyle Williams

Byrd

Wilson

McKelvin

In 3 years he should have been able to put more of his own stamp on this team, since we're told how utterly lacking in talent the roster was. That's my favorite argument of all: Dick Jauron was the worst coach in the history of the world (maybe the universe) but he somehow led a team of utter misfits and semi-pro talent to 7 wins in the NFL every year.

It's been awhile since I've posted, but Bills fans are completely losing their mind with the "Fire Chan" "Fire Wannstedt" and "Bench Fitz" remarks. It's almost as if everyone has forgot where the Bills were less than 3 years ago. So, here is a little history lesson as well as some current stats/facts (This is for you specifically Jerry Sullivan and James Walker):

Where we were in 2009:

Offensively

1.) The last time our Offense was ranked better than 23 was in 2004, #7. Under Gailey we have been 28th, 14th, and currently sit 16th. That was 7 years straight of bottom 1/4 of the league in Offense reversed after Gailey's first season.

2.) The last time we had a QB throw for over 20 + TD in a season was Bledsoe in 04 and 06. Fitz has now thrown 20+ TDs in 3 straight season. The last time a Bills QB threw 20+ TDs in back to back seasons was....

3.) 300yd passer: The Bills went almost 40+ games without a 300 yd passing game, which changed when Fitz relieved Trent and almost upset the Pats in Foxboro in 2010.

4.) Sacks -

Jauron- 2006: 40 2007: 26 2008: 24 2009: 32

Gailey - 2010: 27 2011: 29 2012: 31 (4 games to go)

There is some tangible evidence and improvement on D, however slight.

5.) Tight Ends (good and Bad): Until Coach Gailey, Buffalo hasn't had a TE catch more than 5 TD passes since my middle school days of Pete Metzelars. We hadn't had a relative TE since my HS days of Jay Riemersma. Under Coach Gailey we've actually turned the TE into a viable option. On the flip side, according to Football Outsiders, we are currently the #1 defense defending tight ends this season. This is against TEs such as Vernon Davis, Rob Gronkowski and Owen Daniels (all of whom played decently, not great, against us might I add). Under Coach Jauron we were consistently one of the worst teams defending TEs.

http://www.footballo...ats/teamdef2012

Case against Gailey/Stache:

Run Defense (obviously)

1.) In 2009, Jauron's last season, we were ranked 30th against the run at 156.3 ypg and 4.7 ypc (our #2 pass defense was obviously skewed because of the bad run D). In 2007 we were 22nd against the run, giving up 121.6 ypg and 4.3 ypc. In 2007 it was 25th against the run at 4.4 ypc and 124.6 ypg. In 2006 we were 28th at 4.7 ypc and 140.9 ypg.

--- In 2010, our first year with Coach Gailey, we were dead last, 32nd against the run at 170 ypg and a torrid 4.8 ypc against. 2011, we were 28th at 4.8 ypc and 139 ypg. Currently, we are 30th at 4.9 ypc and 139.2 ypg.

Our run D was never great with Jauron, but it bottomed out with Gailey and George Edwards. If Wannstedt can continue to have this units ypg decrease the rest of the season, it will be a definite endorsement to stay the course with the 4-3 (and maybe get another MLB).

Case against Gailey/Fitz:

1.) Play Calling / untimely turnovers - Neither of these are easy to quantify. There is no stat for INTs when down by 4 in the 4th quarter. There is no stat to say "40+ runs/game leads to a W." All we have is fan opinion. Just like "clutch" it can't be quantified. Does fitz have a poor comeback record? Absolutely. Has our defense lost a fair number of games in the 4th quarter for him (ie: Tennessee this year)? You bet. Has Gailey blown some calls? You know it. Should he run more? No doubt.

But is the answer to fire them? Not a chance. Need proof? Look at a few current coaches who really struggled, didn't make the playoffs early on and who's fan bases wanted them canned - Marvin Lewis, Lovie Smith, Gary Kubiak. All 3 of them have teams in playoff contention. I won't go into history, but Buddy has been around enough. You don't blow it up every 3 years.

Where we are with Fitz?

1.) He is currently ranked? Right above Joe Flacco and right behind Phillip Rivers. He is sandwiched between a couple of 1st round picks.

What do Bills fans want?

There isn't an RG III or Luck in every class. You can't want a team to win and still have a shot at these players! When we were top 3, the best QB, Cam Newton, was gone before we had the option. Tanking the season is now how you progress. You develop a winning culture, and seeing as Fitz is better than 15 other QBs in the league right now, there aren't many better options out there. It should be noted he has better stats (completion %, TDs, INTs and Rating) than the following "Big Name" guys: Flacco, Palmer, Cutler, Eli, Bradford, Stafford, Vick, and Luck. Bills fans can't have it all. Fitz doesn't have the Yards per attempt of Luck (6.6 to 7.1) but he has fewer INTs and more TDs.

Well written but what we really want is a QB that is physically able to play the position and coach that isn't pass happy. Give me the Chan from the Bill Kower era and now we are talking

Well written but what we really want is a QB that is physically able to play the position and coach that isn't pass happy. Give me the Chan from the Bill Kower era and now we are talking

Don't forget that the Chan from the Cowher era answered to Cowher and was issued instructions on how to craft his offense

The Chan of today is enjoying no boss year and is having fun doing whatever he wants

I'll bet those KC Chief fans were excited about their "pistol" offense that Chan ran there in 08, as he made a very average QB light it up and look good in a 2-14 season. Sound familiar?

Norv Turner inherited a 14-2 team with a top 5 QB on the verge of the super bowl and turned then into a 4-8 marvel, I wouldn't want him as the Bills HC either. So far Chan Gailey hasn't even duplicated moron Jauron's feeble record of 7-9.

Gailey has had 2 of the best RB's in the NFL all season, and only utilized them properly in one game so far this year! The Jags game both RB's finally saw 42 touches vs 17 attempts for Fitz. Final score 34-18.

You gotta remember that Gailey chose to stick with Fitz the last 3 years when he easily could have drafted and been grooming a rookie QB. Dick Jauron managed to get a 4th year so I don't see why RW won't give another moron a 4th year

Those 2 buffoons (Nix & Gailey) will finally get fired when the current owner passes ....so we wait.

I agree with the OP. When Nix & Gailey took over it wasn't similar to Harbaugh coming to SF that just needed tweaking. It was an all out rebuild. Sure, a lot of the pieces were there, but a lot weren't. 7 of our opening day defensive starters, and 6 on offense (including Spiller), weren't even on the team. If the team closes out the season strong you definitely bring these guys back.

Not sure. Wood, Johnson, Hairston all out now... I can see this thing degrading ... this team just gets destroyed with injuries. its really amazing.. who the heck plays center now?? but no, starting over would be a bigger disaster. this is a mediocre franchise in general. competitive, yes, championship possible? no.

Edited by 8and8Forever

Nice post, but Drew Blesoe's last year in the NFL was in 2006, and he threw 7 TD's with the Dallas Cowboys. You were probably thinking of 2002 and 2004 (His last with the Bills).

Edited by Turbosrrgood