Bills win despite coaching

l2yangop

Horrible offensive play calling tonight, but we found a way to eek it out. Thank you for showing up D! Clearly with this defense and inability to score in the red zone, we are not playoff caliber, but fun to watch. Especially if you want to see every possible iteration of a screen pass!

Offensively, we got what we wanted...more spiller, but Chan still cant call a full game.

Defensively, we FINALLY get a decent pass rush and look at the results... sacks, ints and a much needed win.

Im not gonna jump the gun here and say the D turned the corner, but this performance does give me hope

3rd and goal on the 1 or 2yd line, fullback in for the play=pass to tightly covered/held TE. Go figure.

I had all of halftime to stew on that one. It was maddening. I mean Chandler is what 8ft tall and you run a play like that? Come on!

Horrible offensive play calling tonight, but we found a way to eek it out. Thank you for showing up D! Clearly with this defense and inability to score in the red zone, we are not playoff caliber, but fun to watch. Especially if you want to see every possible iteration of a screen pass!

Chan had a rough night with the play calling. Wildcat to Choice on 3rd and short, overall MUCH too conservative play calling with too many screens in the 2nd half (Miami adjusted). Not going for it on one of the 4th downs in the 1st half. Sitting Spiller in the redzone before the end of the 1st half.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

On the second third and 1 with empty set, that should have been a QB draw. They only had 4 down lineman and there was no LB to be seen. On the first third and 1, Choice ran to the wrong hole from the Wildcat. I like that they ran clock at the end of the first half butthey should have given themselves about 15 more seconds. They huddled which was fine but Fitz took too long to snap the ball and when he got sacked or ran for short gain they had to burn a time-out. Little too cute there. Jump ball to Chandler may have worked. An extra ten seconds and a QB sneak scores. Would have taken some serious balls to go QB sneak with 6 seconds and no time-out. But that could have been a back breaker.

How many time have I read complaints that the Bills get too fancy? So what happens when the Bills give the ball to SJ & CJ and don't make any risky plays, against a very good Miami defense? We complain that we are too conservative. :doh:

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It's tough. With Chan we finally have an offense capable of competing. However, you can count on him with disconcerting frequency to do the opposite of what's working in the middle of a drive. I must have said it 10 times by now: run Spiller on 1st an 2nd, only throw on 3rd (if long). We'd have a better record.

I like Chan but he does out smart himself with this ****. Just give it to CJ who is averaging 7 yards per carry. Really?

They gave it to CJ on 3rd and 1 on that last drive where the Bills were trying to run out the clock, the way you guys have been screaming all year that Chan should do. What happened? He got stuffed and they had to punt, giving the Dolphins another chance to win.

Averaging seven yards a carry does not mean that the runner gets seven yards every time he carries the ball. CJ got tackled for a loss quite a few times tonight, and other times he made yards when he had no business doing so. Third and one when the defense is stacked against you, it's hard for anyone to make a first down consistently.

That said, I was unhappy with Tashard Chjoice, especially when he showed alligator arms on that third down pass that would have kept a drive alive. No guts.

I agree the coaching was horrible. Miami stinks, otherwise the result would probably have been different. BTW, the Bills linebackers are dreadful (Sheppard and Bradham are brutal). Also, the blocking schemes frequently left Spiller to block a DE by himself. At other times the DE rushed Fitz untouched. Terrible coaching and design. The RT Hairston really struggled.

A win is a win, but these giant weaknesses won't beat too many teams in the NFL.

How many time have I read complaints that the Bills get too fancy? So what happens when the Bills get to ball the SJ & CJ and don't make any risky plays, against a very good Miami defense? We complain that we are too conservative. :doh:

PTR

This.

We are fickle and the reality is that the average Bills fans could care less what is called as long as it actually works.

How many time have I read complaints that the Bills get too fancy? So what happens when the Bills get to ball the SJ & CJ and don't make any risky plays, against a very good Miami defense? We complain that we are too conservative. :doh:

PTR

Our offense failed to score a touchdown. How many games do you think a team can win like that? Once again, the defense adjusted to what Chan was doing in the second half and once again, he failed to adjust and we did nothing. He needs to go. Make no mistake. We were lucky to hold on and win this game even though we completeley dominated in the first half. The second half was nothing but ugly offensively.

Spiller stalled out in the second half. Especially the 4th quarter. He was the spiller of old. Didn't take what was given, bounced it it for serious losses on multiple occasions. He was a drive killer at points in the 4th, leaving us with 3rd and 10+ after a second and 5. It was pretty frustrating

Spiller and Fitz at times heighten what I think is an over rated offensive line. Still above average, just not great

Yeah, defense coaches had nothing to do with the defense playing well tonight. But of course, all blame goes to defensive coaches for the losses. Go bills!

I was happy with the defensive scheme until mid-way through the third when they suddenly went into a shell. Coupled with our offensive ineptitude we darn near lost a game that we dominated through 2.5 quarters. I'm very happy that they won, but again (sadly) they won in spite of the QB and coaching staff. The Bills will remain a lower mediocre level team until one of those things change. If both change who knows?

3rd and goal on the 1 or 2yd line, fullback in for the play=pass to tightly covered/held TE. Go figure.

That play call was chantastic!!!

I had all of halftime to stew on that one. It was maddening. I mean Chandler is what 8ft tall and you run a play like that? Come on!

He doesn't exactly have the niftiness(sp?) to get inside the defender, does he?

They gave it to CJ on 3rd and 1 on that last drive where the Bills were trying to run out the clock, the way you guys have been screaming all year that Chan should do. What happened? He got stuffed and they had to punt, giving the Dolphins another chance to win.

Averaging seven yards a carry does not mean that the runner gets seven yards every time he carries the ball. CJ got tackled for a loss quite a few times tonight, and other times he made yards when he had no business doing so. Third and one when the defense is stacked against you, it's hard for anyone to make a first down consistently.

That said, I was unhappy with Tashard Chjoice, especially when he showed alligator arms on that third down pass that would have kept a drive alive. No guts.

Would you agree that on third and less than 3 the empty backfield is nuts? Why do you take away the threat of the run?

And, of course everyone in the world knew we were going to run on the play you describe. Miami sold out to stop it and they did. Through the game...percentages are in the Bills favor.

At the end when it was 3rd and 1, Miami had 9 in the box and Donald Jones had a 12 yard cushion. Why not just pull the ball out and flip it to Jones. Game over. Winning teams do stuff like that.

And did you notice how well Miami moved the ball when #43 got in the game? I swear he must have pictures of someone. At least he got a pick at the end, but it never shoulda got that close.

Yeah, defense coaches had nothing to do with the defense playing well tonight. But of course, all blame goes to defensive coaches for the losses. Go bills!

anybody that thinks we have top 10 coaches probably also thinks we have a top 10 qb. and even having those = playoffs not necessarily sb. we have neither. we have enough to squeak by the bad teams.

I had a vigorous argument with my wife on the half ending drive when Spiller was not in the game. She told me that the coaches cannot be that stupid to have their best offensive player out of the game in that situation and he must be hurt or something. I said he looked fine standing on the sidelines. Well we now know which it is.

Some of Gailey's calls are too hard to take. The empty backfields on 3rd and 1. Running the wildcat with Choice vs. Smith.

On the other hand I thought Powell's punting was great last night and confirmed the teams decision to release Moorman was a wise move. The defense finally showed some signs of what we expected but lets see 2 or 3 such efforts in succession before it can be called a trend.

The offenses inability to close out the game at the end is unacceptable. That it took 2 interceptions in the closing minutes to seal the victory is not a good sign.

But a wins a win.

when is its 3rd and less than 4, outside of the redzone, there is only one formation that Chan calls. Shotgun 5 wide. He may spice it up by having a RB start in the backfield and then motion him to 5 wide, but this is one assinine consistency I just cannot fathom. Every stinking game I see it. If I was the other teams DC, I would send out my third and long pass rush dime package on 3rd and short bc you know what Chan is going to do. WTF

Im very happy with the W last night against the phins'...we completely dominated them from start to finish...but it didn't show on the scoreboard, and was still a close game up until the last minute because we play "NOT TO LOSE" football....instead of doing what good teams do, and go for the jugular, we play passively, and it has already cost us games this year....this does not just occur in the final drive, quarter or half...we play that way in instances throughout the game, and have since Chan arrived (and realistically a lot longer than that)...

I like Chan as an offensive designer, his play calling leaves us all scratching out head a lot of the times (too many screens, it loses its effect, the dumb ass wildcat drive killer, the ridiculous TO's)....and our key players need to step it up and GET THE WIN

Some examples from last night of what I'm talking about:

- Chan again wasting TO's for no reason other than HIM not having a play ready

- offense is humming along on a nice drive, 3rd down, and we wildcat it with Choice............I...Dont...Get....It

- Spiller on the bench during key times, end of half/game drives...I realize the kid needs a breather, but hes the most electric player on the team (and arguably the NFL) and your telling me he needs to rest when we need him the most????

- Once in a while you have to show some BALLS - 3rd and 1, it will be about a 48 yard field goal if we get stopped, so it could/should be 2 down territory, and Chan lines us up in the empty backfield, Fitz forces a pass that gets knocked down, we settle for long FG (good thing Lindy is money)...prime opp. to pound the rock twice and convert the first down, sustaining the drive and hopefully putting up 7 instead of 3

- NOT taking advantage of GREAT field position by again settling for FGs

- I know Spiller isn't a "pound em" type RB, but when we have a 50 + yard drive going, its 2 and 10, and you run for 9 yards and then just step out of bounds instead of cutting inside and JUST FALLING DOWN to get the first down - not even taking a pounding, just literally cutting back inside off the WR block and falling down for a first down....this drives me NUTS...what happens on the next play? Choice comes in and is stuffed for a loss, settle for FG - should have never been in that situation

- the line is awesome, I love em, but we SUCK at 3rd and short....CONVERT, NUT UP AND CONVERT...move your man when it counts!!!!!

These reasons are why we do not have a winning record, that's a snapshot of what we do week in and week out....we need to start learning how to FORCE A WIN instead of ESCAPE WITH A WIN if we ever want to be playoff bound

LIFE IS GOOD TODAY, GO BILLS!

Edited by PaattMaann

PTR

+1

The play-calling was fine tonight. Believe it or not, Miami has a good defense. I don't understand what people expect out there.

If we converted any of the many 3rd and 1's we had, it would have potentially been a blow-out. It's not Chan's fault that we can't gain a single yard on 3rd and 1.

+1

The play-calling was fine tonight. Believe it or not, Miami has a good defense. I don't understand what people expect out there.

If we converted any of the many 3rd and 1's we had, it would have potentially been a blow-out. It's not Chan's fault that we can't gain a single yard on 3rd and 1.

But Peter Pan's point is well noted: the Bills are predictable on 3rd down and short and it hasn't been working. I'd rather them take a penalty and be 3rd and 6 than be 3rd and 1 (kinda kidding).

+1

We had numerous 3rd & 3's that we didn't convert. Each and every one of them was empty backfield. Is that Chan's fault, or do you agree with that strategy?

I was getting too stressed watching the Bills games live so I decided to get NFL Rewind and only watch the wins. I'm not getting my money's worth.

So, from what the write-ups say and posters have been writing here, it seems like I don't need to watch the 2nd half...or at least not the 3rd quarter. I know if I were watching live my heartburn would have been kicking in toward the end and I would have been saying to my wife "here we go again". Now that I know they won with some big plays by the defense, I can smile when Miami is driving down the field in the 4th.

Call me a wuss, but I have lived a long life of frustration watching the Bills fail in surreal ways.

Good points, Chan needs to scrap the retarded Wildcat package for good. It is a giant fail every time we run it. And yes they are garbage on 3rd and short..

Garbage on 3rd down in general actually. I think they need Spiller in the game more on 3rd down because he draws so much attention. It will free up some other guys for those short conversions.. The one pass to Stevie early on was a great example, two guys ran to CJ and Stevie had no one near him.