Manti Te'o - LB - Notre Dame

1B4IDie

That may be true of nfl boards, but early in the process phrases like "if he's there at 8 you have to take him" were bantied about on this board. I thought at one point (kiper?) had him top 5, maybe even close to #1 overall? Mayock was right in that mix also, and he saw every game so it wouldn't suprise me that coming out of the end of the regular season T'eo was pretty high (top 10) on some nfl boards, maybe not all of them. I agree that his other games were not that impressive athletically, but he does seem to have a good set of instincts. I also agree with you that he is more of a 2nd/3rd round player. I think he is probably best suited to being the run stopping ilb in a 3-4.

There were plenty of people in this very thread who were espousing the wisdom of drafting Teo at #8.

Just look at the first couple of pages.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were plenty of people in this very thread who were espousing the wisdom of drafting Teo at #8.

Just look at the first couple of pages.

I was one of them, but that was based on him winning virtually every award a defensive player could win more than anything else.

He's still a 1st rounder people. Maybe early 2, but my guess is he doesn't get by Chicago.

Let's see what happens at Notre dame pro day. It will be a safer environment, no more stupid questions about his sexuality, and also his shoulder may be healed. Bum shoulder could also effect run time. If he puts up better times and other stats, than those are the numbers he will be drafted on. If they're the same that's further confirmation the combine is an accurate reflection.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Great read, loved to see people crushing me about how great Teo and ND were at the time, while I was predicting the blowout and outing of how bad Teo is. Haha, love it.

Teo isn't as good as thought in the early pages (I remember saying he would succeed in a 3-4 but not a 4-3 and getting a lot of ribbing about it). Since the thread started he had his weaknesses demonstrated in the Alabama game and now in the combine the speed issue arises again. That being said he is a good draft choice, but probably not a top 15 choice and may slip into the second round. That's about right, barring a game changing show at his pro day (unlikely as that might be).

So you'll be psyched when the LB starved Bills grab him early in the 2d?

i'd still pass......besides being a total phony (fake girlfriend, continued the charade even after he knew it was a hoax, fake 40 speed 4.5 claimed/4.8 actual , fake weight 255 listed/ 241 actual, excuse making for poor combine showing "exhausting process", claims a stinger in his shoulder prevents him from lifting 225, still was evasive at combine in answering all the hoax questions, starting to deal with questions about his sexuality, his teamies at notre dame suspected he was full of chit) he underwhelmed to disappeared on the field in the championship game. i don't even see him as an upgrade over sheppard. this guy will be the second biggest distraction in the league (excepting only tebow).

i'd still pass......besides being a total phony (fake girlfriend, continued the charade even after he knew it was a hoax, fake 40 speed 4.5 claimed/4.8 actual , fake weight 255 listed/ 241 actual, excuse making for poor combine showing "exhausting process", claims a stinger in his shoulder prevents him from lifting 225, still was evasive at combine in answering all the hoax questions, starting to deal with questions about his sexuality, his teamies at notre dame suspected he was full of chit) he underwhelmed to disappeared on the field in the championship game. i don't even see him as an upgrade over sheppard. this guy will be the second biggest distraction in the league (excepting only tebow).

I'd pass for at least one other reason. I see us drafting a linebacker at 8 and having at least two or three good solid 2d round qbs to choose from at two. I don't think anyone thinks he will be around at three.

BobChalmers:

Again, I'm not posting in defense of Te'o. I'm posting in opposition to idiots espousing opinions of any player's credentials and abilities, with the expectation that they be taken seriously, basing those opinions on one game worth of film.

Buddy-

It was the biggest game of his life to that point and he was going against the best opponent he ever faced.

Forget about how the Oline got to him and pushed him around, i will give you that his Dline did a poor job. Even when he was in position to make a tackle he missed more then he made. Those where NFL caliber running backs, no doubt. But so will every one he plays against next season.

Te'o will be an average LB in the NFL or he could wash out in 3 years. You take those guys in the third- fifth round. Nothing about his game screams MLB for your team for the next 10 years.

• 4 weeks later...

NO....he is a phony, fraud, liar.....not the makings of a leader. also, what you saw in the Alabama game, is what you will see every week in NFL.

More than anything I think this is the case. He looked so overmatched when surrounded by NFL talent. Maybe he was the only player worth a damn on NDs defense, but he was clearly overmatched

People are foolish...this kid is gonna be a player at the next level. They let ONE bad game determine his career at the next level while ignoring all the other games he played. There isn't a player in this draft who didn't have a bad game, but Teo's is magically declared the norm just because its Teo.

Don't worry he won't be there in the 2nd for us to decided...if he is, it's a slam dunk to take him there, tremendous value. He's gonna go in the first, and he is gonna go sooner than a lot of people seem to think. If he magically slips, Ravens will snatch him up just like when Suggs slipped and landed in there lap.

Don't be surprised to see him go in the teens of the first round

Edited by Alphadawg7

We need a LB, he was very naive and wants to prove himself. I would take him at 41 if there, but guess Ravens take him at 32.

It seems like the LB position more than any other in the NFL has more stars that come from the middle to late rounds than in the first two. I have a feeling the Bills have some LBs targeting in the 3rd to 5th rounds that they feel have a great future in the system they want to run.

I think the Bills should draft WR/TE or TE/WR in rounds 2 and 3, after drafting either Smith or Manuel in the 1st. You need to make his job as easy as possible in his rookie year. Then go defense the rest of the way.