Manti Te'o - LB - Notre Dame

1B4IDie

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poz is a well rounded football player. Not amazing at any one thing and his fundementals are solid. Poz is not a household name but how could he in in Buffalo or Jville? He was better at his position then Whitner and look at Ehitners hype.

Big teams in big cities get more attetion and therefore hype. Especially when your gf dies. Te'o has been over hyped his entire career. In the pro's he will probably come out gay just to get attention

I don't have a dog in this fight or even a formative opinion about Teo, but I do recall that Dwight Freeney was completely stonewalled by Bryant McKinnie in one of his final games for the Orangemen. People talked a ton about it then, saying that it suggested that he'd be a bust in the pros. Freeney has obviously been a far, far better player than McKinnie and one of the elite pass rushers of the past decade. The point is that we shouldn't read too much into one bad game. Payton Manning had a terrible game against the Falcons last year. Does that mean he's no good? Every player has a really bad game now and then.

Btw, Jason Cole is a very good and respected reporter.

there are a few things to weigh here

1) bad games happen

2) Saban in a championship game while your distracted is a recipe for disaster

3) theres no way he was ever going to live up to the november hype

4) hes likely not a game changer

5) a good player can still be a great pick at 41

6) hes been remarkably consistent generally, its the coverage of him thats swung wildly

I wanted the Bills to draft Brandon Spikes (in the second). He was slow, he ran 5.0 40. But he was a Baller, clearly could play football.

Brandon fell in the draft and landed right on the Patriots' lap. He had a rough start but now is one of the better LBs in the league.

The 40 time doesn't reflect his football ability.

Te'O will be one of the better LBs in the NFL, I have little doubt. Especially if he falls right in the hands of Pittsburgh, Baltimore or New England. I originally didn't mind taking Te'O as high as #8 based on his leadership qualities. I originally thought he could be the QB of the defense and raise the play of the players around him.

I followed the GF thing prior to being outed as a CatFish prank. He would talk endlessly in interviews about the letters his GF wrote before dying and how he would open each one up the night before the game. It seemed unbelievable like a hollywood movie (which I'm sure some script writers in Hollywood were already working on. {and probably stil are}) Now I think he was lying for most of this. You can't be a leader if everyone knows you're full of ****.

Maybe in a few years people will forget and follow him. However I wouldn't want to take the risk at #8 overall on a position that is already a risk to take at #8 overall.

But if he fell to #41 the upside is pretty damn high. You'd be hard pressed to find a player at #41 that has as high as an upside. Not to mention that is almost impossible that Te'O will be there at #41. An NFL GM is going to go for the upside.

(BTW all the people saying the watched all his games and thought he sux are either lying or brain dead. Especially calling out those calling out the Stanford game as a poor performance. Te'O dominated that game and made the play that prevented the ball from crossing the line of scrimmage. Yes the all carrier did cross the line but the ball did not. )

That would be me. And I never said he sucks. Just that he never came close to what a great MLB should look like. He made a nice play in the Alabama game, also. I assure you I watched every ND game last season so I'm not lying. And as for being brain dead, well, I'm in some very good company in that regard so I can rest easy.

GO BILLS!!!

Has been consistently what? Overrated?

FYI: Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports was just on the Dan Patrick show. Said he spoke with many NFL scouts who said T'eo is a product of the ND hype machine. In fact Cole was comparing T'eo to......(wait for it)......KIRK MORRISON!!! :w00t: Basically said if T'eo played anywhere but ND no one would be paying any attention to him.

PTR

When I first heard that scouts were questioning his explosiveness back in a November issue of SI, I talked to a couple guys I know that do that for a living, and they agreed with that assessment. They had concerns about his ability to move in space. Looks like they were right.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't have a dog in this fight or even a formative opinion about Teo, but I do recall that Dwight Freeney was completely stonewalled by Bryant McKinnie in one of his final games for the Orangemen. People talked a ton about it then, saying that it suggested that he'd be a bust in the pros. Freeney has obviously been a far, far better player than McKinnie and one of the elite pass rushers of the past decade. The point is that we shouldn't read too much into one bad game. Payton Manning had a terrible game against the Falcons last year. Does that mean he's no good? Every player has a really bad game now and then.

Btw, Jason Cole is a very good and respected reporter.

Well said.

Te'o's problem to me isn't the fake girlfriend thing it's being an inch shorter, 15lbs lighter, and a tenth of a second slower than everyone thought he'd be.

Zach Thomas and London Fletcher.

I'm no ND fame but I got caught up in everything and thought he was a potential game changing LB. I definitely thought he was worthy of the #8 pick. But obviously, that's all changed. Still, he was a very good college LB. Much like QB, there are a ton of intangibiles that MLB must have to be successful in the league that can't be measured.

I'm not going to predict how godo he is going to be but if he goes to the right team, I won't be shocked if he puts together a good career.

Uh, no. Cole was a beat writer for the Dolphins for 15 years before joining Yahoo. And it's not his opinion, it's the opinion of NFL scouts he has talked to. See for yourself.

PTR

This is called Hearsay and is not admisible in a court of law in many circumstances.

It is also said about every ND NFL draft prospect every year by someone.

Its like on TBD someone comparing a draft prospect to Maybin. It happens all the time and in most cases it is only noise.

Te'O was recruited to take over for Maualuga, Cushing, and Mathews at USC and given it is the PAC10; He would likely still be talked about in this draft if he went to USC. It was actually a surprise when he decided to go to ND.

IMO the only semi-plausible argument is that if he went to the SEC he wouldn't be talked about. To rebut that I say look at Jarvis Jones a primetime Pac10 recruit that went to the SEC and is still talked about today.

So the talk radio bluster isn't very compelling imo.

Edited by Why So Serious?