Manti Te'o - LB - Notre Dame

1B4IDie

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am starting to feel bad for the kid. He probably doesn't even start if he signs with a SEC or PAC12 school. Now he is this overhyped out of control circus. At best he will be a servicable 3-4 MLB. He is too small to play a 4-3 MLB. He is too slow to play OLB. I hope he is smart enough to avoid NYC because he may not even get drafted until day 3 of the draft.

Not a great argument. If anyone can have better times in underwear then why didn't Teo?

Anyone who watches him play has been very aware that he isn't speedy. Teo excelled by knowing his assignments, reading the offense, and taking good angles. He has very average speed and showed as much. It's not a surprise.

4.8 is not average. It is slow. It is bottom 20% this year. It is not fast enough to play in the NFL speed. It is maybe a special teams guy speed. It is embarrassing. It is kind of sad too....

The feeling is spreading. You need to get busy straitening these people out.

PTR

I'm not interested in "straightening people out". I'm interested in slapping the **** out of know-nothing hacks like yourself who don't actually have first hand knowledge of anything, yet insist on early phase demagoguery anyway.

This isn't about Te'o. This is about your lack of credentials, I said this in the beginning. Stop changing the subject.

You forgot to mention short and undersized. #CombineMeasurablesOnly

Ray Lewis 6'1 240lbs

Patrick Willis - 6'1, 242lbs

Teo - 6'1, 241

Cushing 6'3 - 243

Poz 6'2 238

Maualuga 6-1 243

Vilma 6'1 230

Curtis lofton 6'0 246

Edited by NoSaint

It's not so much what he ran in the 40 but HOW he ran it. The 40 time is important because it seeks to measure a player's explosion and endurance; what kind of speed a player possesses. That's why they are electronically timed at 10, 20, and 40 yards. I haven't seen his split times, but from what I observed in his broad and vertical jumps, he lacks the explosion necessary to be a dominant player. It's what I observed in his games this season as well. And not just against Alabama where he was exposed against the best competition he's ever faced. Go back and look at his games, particularly Stanford and Pitt. There was a reason scouts were questioning his athleticism long before the 'Bama game. All he did was confirm the suspicions.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not interested in "straightening people out". I'm interested in slapping the **** out of know-nothing hacks like yourself who don't actually have first hand knowledge of anything, yet insist on early phase demagoguery anyway.

This isn't about Te'o. This is about your lack of credentials, I said this in the beginning. Stop changing the subject.

Cripes dude - your "The smartest man in the room" tag suits you - in that it lets us all know up front that you are full of yourself as well as full of a bit more.

I've said it before and noone rose to it so I'll say it again. The Alabama game wasn't "one game" it was THE BIGGEST GAME OF T'EO's LIFE (to date). He stunk.

In addition to the praise and hype, there were already a lot of questions about both Manti and ND in general going into that game - because their strength of schedule had a lof of people doubting them. Turns out there was cause for doubt.

Now we can still try to guess it was "just one bad game" but that still says either he's not physically up to NFL level competition OR he didn't have himself at his best after a month off. The former is damning, the latter isn't much better though - if this guy is a top-10 MLB/ILB where are the leadership and mental toughness to step up and/or prepare for THE BIGGEST GAME OF HIS LIFE?

He was slotted at #8 or higher two months ago. That went out the window with one of his multiple failed tackle attempts on Lacy.

I am certain the imaginary dead girlfriend (although it distratced the media and publc from this BCS collapse) isn't by itself too destructive, but it does put into the mind of a lot of GM's that he's got the potential to be grief and bad publicity they don't need.

He needed to look good at the combine to stay in the first round - he didn't. Both the poor 40-time and his height not being as was reported do not help.

Edited by BobChalmers

Cripes dude - your "The smartest man in the room" tag suits you - in that it lets us all know up front that you are full of yourself as well as full of a bit more.

I've said it before and noone rose to it so I'll say it again. The Alabama game wasn't "one game" it was THE BIGGEST GAME OF T'EO's LIFE (to date). He stunk.

In addition to the praise and hype, there were already a lot of questions about both Manti and ND in general going into that game - because their strength of schedule had a lof of people doubting them. Turns out there was cause for doubt.

Now we can still try to guess it was "just one bad game" but that still says either he's not physically up to NFL level competition OR he didn't have himself at his best after a month off. The former is damning, the latter isn't much better though - if this guy is a top-10 MLB/ILB where are the leadership and mental toughness to step up and/or prepare for THE BIGGEST GAME OF HIS LIFE?

He was slotted at #8 or higher two months ago. That went out the window with one of his multiple failed tackle attempts on Lacy.

I am certain the imaginary dead girlfriend (although it distratced the media and publc from this BCS collapse) isn't by itself too destructive, but it does put into the mind of a lot of GM's that he's got the potential to be grief and bad publicity they don't need.

He needed to look good at the combine to stay in the first round - he didn't. Both the poor 40-time and his height not being as was reported do not help.

ill again say i dont think he was ever slotted top 5, or 8, and this media free fall is much more a product of them having to correct their over hype in the first place.

this mightve slid him a couple of spots but if you think any scout/gm was shocked by his lack of speed....

Edited by NoSaint

The interview with Mayock and the other NFL Network guy to me was more worrisome then his performance. I saw a guy making excuses at first. I also watched Mayock bait him into doing so, almost leading him. Now, Te'o caught himself at one point and said something along the lines of 'well that is football and you must be ready for anything'.

I am sorry but the more i watch and see of Te'o the less i like. From his performance on down to his interviews. I think he is extremely intelligent, but i have big concerns about his character and his talent. I said concerns, i do not know Te'o but on paper and tape(from the NC game and combine) there is nothing supporting why he should be taken by the Bills in round one OR two.

The NC game is important because it was the first time all year Te'o played against elite competition. Those Oline men and Rb's are the same guys he is going to be going against next year, only better.

He has good hands, knows how to read offenses and can set up his D. Those to me are his positives.

ill again say i dont think he was ever slotted top 5, or 8, and this media free fall is much more a product of them having to correct their over hype in the first place.

this mightve slid him a couple of spots but if you think any scout/gm was shocked by his lack of speed....

That may be true of nfl boards, but early in the process phrases like "if he's there at 8 you have to take him" were bantied about on this board. I thought at one point (kiper?) had him top 5, maybe even close to #1 overall? Mayock was right in that mix also, and he saw every game so it wouldn't suprise me that coming out of the end of the regular season T'eo was pretty high (top 10) on some nfl boards, maybe not all of them.

I agree that his other games were not that impressive athletically, but he does seem to have a good set of instincts. I also agree with you that he is more of a 2nd/3rd round player. I think he is probably best suited to being the run stopping ilb in a 3-4.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

Exactly...If I was not shocked or surprised, I'm pretty sure most scouts and GM's weren't either... B-)

He's got an imaginary stopwatch somewhere too.......says he ran a 4.5.......what a phony.

:lol:

I'd draft him in the 2nd round if he was there. Definitely worth the risk at that point as 2nd round picks rarely are a sure thing.

He might be worth a chance in the second round, but I suspect we are going linebacker in round one, and there are going to be some great picks for us in round 2 (qb, wr, offensive linemen) that we would have to go with before Teo. Besides, I'mt thinking Honey Badger in round 3 and he's about as much risk as I am going to want to take in this draft.

You are right though in that I'm suspecting Teo will fall into early round 2.

BobChalmers:

Again, I'm not posting in defense of Te'o. I'm posting in opposition to idiots espousing opinions of any player's credentials and abilities, with the expectation that they be taken seriously, basing those opinions on one game worth of film.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker