Colin Kaepernick [get 'er dun!]

better than qb's. Not to bad. Didn't like troup, but other than that I'm fine with it. When the VERY young, and recently drafted players learn to play fast in our brand new defense, with our brand new DC, oh never mind. Your right. I really thought Batton, and white were going to be saviours from the sixth round.....

Love Gilmore. Love Marcel. But addressing the QB is going to stop teams from scoring?

I can't belive I even answered that. Really? Because you think they draft bad defensive personal, we shouldn't draft defensive players?

Forget QB, focus on the defense since you brought it up. Dareus - sophomore slump or another enigmatic big body? Don't know. Gilmore - massive struggles on an island, but there's enough hope for improvement. Other than that, his defensive draftees will be lucky to be on NFL rosters, let alone meaningfully contribute.

Which leads to the entire point about Nix, that despite his straight out of Hollywood football stereotype, his performance as GM has been putrid so far.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? On the basis of one game? Who are you, Jim Harbaugh?

He said just that on THIS year per Peter King in a article today. Can't link it now.

I think Jay Cutler would have played well in Buffalo, no matter what coach was coaching or what players he had... That was a big mistake. Yeah, he is a gunslinger... BUT he would have made us respectful and relevant @ the QB postion. Remember his first game in the Pros? Denver @ Buffalo...

What I like about Jay Cutler the most is his smoldering hot blond GF.

Harbaugh got him for a reason & if continues to show what he has there is a good possibility that we would have a better chance at going after Smith .

The upside on the kid is much more & he was a Harbaugh pick , Smith was left overs , if he wants to continue on the path he has started he may decide after seeing what the kid has and can do changing next year he might put him as the starter & Smith would probably want to be traded .

Thats more of what we will probably be looking at !!

Which leads to the entire point about Nix, that despite his straight out of Hollywood football stereotype, his performance as GM has been putrid so far.

Well, your entire point is incorrect. If you want to knock some individual draft picks, fine. But you arent even close to looking at the whole picture.

First and foremost, he revamped the Scouting and Personnel departments and hired one of the most sought after guys in the league, stealing Doug Whaley away from Pittsburgh. Besides re-vamping the entire Front Office staff he also did the following...

To address the Oline he has brought in Erik Pears, Kraig Urbik, and Chad Rhinehart, and has drafted Chris Hairston and Cordy Glenn. We now have one of the best OLs in the league. With quality starters and depth.

To address the Dline he has re-signed Kyle Williams to a contract extension, signed FA pass rushers Mario Williams, Mark Anderson, Shawn Merriman, and Kyle Moore, and has drafted Marcel Dareus and Alex Carrington. While it's agreed that these guys need to step it up on the field, that isn't on Buddy. He has brought in the talent, now it needs to perform.

Before we even get any further, look that over again, and realize that Buddy and Whaley have done exactly what Bills fans have been screaming about for years, and that is making TOP priority addressing the trenches, where it all begins. In 3 seasons (and missing an offseason due to the lockout), he has brought in the most talented Lines this team has had since the Super Bowl years.

He drafted CJ Spiller, and if anyone wants to continue to argue that he was a wasted pick and/or bust then they can just GTFO right now. Adding to the weapons, he brought in Scott Chandler as a FA, signed David Nelson and Donald Jones as UDFAs, he drafted TJ Graham who has already been a contributor in his rookie season (although the jury is still out on all rookies). He extended Freddie Jackson, and most importantly re-signed Stevie Johnson to a very fair contract before he ever hit Free Agency and an incredibly overpriced WR market. Imagine that, a Bills FO that re-signs its own talent. Amazing.

Regardless of what people were (incorrectly) saying earlier this year, Kelvin Sheppard is a good MLB. When he is in the game, he makes plays and stops the run at the line of scrimmage. We get gashed in the running game when he is out and our LBs are Scott and Barnett.

Speaking of Barnett, even though his play this year has fallen far off from previous years, it was at the time another good signing by Nix. I am more than confident we will be seriously addressing OLB this next offseason.

Stephon Gilmore has looked good as a rookie, and we havent seen enough out of Ron Brooks to make any judgement yet. A Williams has underperformed this year, but that happens. Nix hasnt needed to address the Safety spot much, but will be doing so this year. To that end, Searcy has been playing well in his limited roles.

I know you're going to want to throw around names like Troup and Wang. No one bats 1.000 in the draft. And the GM does a heck of a lot more than just draft.

Are there some misses? Of course.

Are there some big misses? Unfortunately, yes.

But to grade his performance so far as "putrid" is straight-up wrong. He has built an entire roster almost from scratch, while keeping those that deserved to be kept. There are still a couple holes remaining, namely QB and OLB, but to re-build a franchise and within 3 years only having a couple holes is an incredible job.

Well, your entire point is incorrect. If you want to knock some individual draft picks, fine. But you arent even close to looking at the whole picture.

Wow, in reading your post, you almost have me convinced that Bills are ready to compete for the SuperBowl. Yet half the guys you mention would have a hard time cracking a legit playoff contender. While on paper the roster improved and drove the giddy prognostications this summer and everyone was jumping on the show me baby bandwagon, this team is on the verge of setting all kinds of wrong records. And to repeat, the better performers on defense and offense preceded him. Don't forget, the coaching staff is also on his watch.

I'm glad that in Buddy you trust, but it would be nice if the results backed it up.

Edited by GG

But to grade his performance so far as "putrid" is straight-up wrong. He has built an entire roster almost from scratch, while keeping those that deserved to be kept. There are still a couple holes remaining, namely QB and OLB, but to re-build a franchise and within 3 years only having a couple holes is an incredible job.

If it was possible, your post should be pinned just to answer the 'what has Nix done' crowd. While I have been on his case for not acquiring a QB early in his tenure, the achievements are not unremarkable. I would add a #2 WR to your list of must-haves.

First and foremost, he revamped the Scouting and Personnel departments and hired one of the most sought after guys in the league, stealing Doug Whaley away from Pittsburgh. Besides re-vamping the entire Front Office staff he also did the following...

To address the Oline he has brought in Erik Pears, Kraig Urbik, and Chad Rhinehart, and has drafted Chris Hairston and Cordy Glenn. We now have one of the best OLs in the league. With quality starters and depth.

To address the Dline he has re-signed Kyle Williams to a contract extension, signed FA pass rushers Mario Williams, Mark Anderson, Shawn Merriman, and Kyle Moore, and has drafted Marcel Dareus and Alex Carrington. While it's agreed that these guys need to step it up on the field, that isn't on Buddy. He has brought in the talent, now it needs to perform.

Before we even get any further, look that over again, and realize that Buddy and Whaley have done exactly what Bills fans have been screaming about for years, and that is making TOP priority addressing the trenches, where it all begins. In 3 seasons (and missing an offseason due to the lockout), he has brought in the most talented Lines this team has had since the Super Bowl years.

He drafted CJ Spiller, and if anyone wants to continue to argue that he was a wasted pick and/or bust then they can just GTFO right now. Adding to the weapons, he brought in Scott Chandler as a FA, signed David Nelson and Donald Jones as UDFAs, he drafted TJ Graham who has already been a contributor in his rookie season (although the jury is still out on all rookies). He extended Freddie Jackson, and most importantly re-signed Stevie Johnson to a very fair contract before he ever hit Free Agency and an incredibly overpriced WR market. Imagine that, a Bills FO that re-signs its own talent. Amazing.

Regardless of what people were (incorrectly) saying earlier this year, Kelvin Sheppard is a good MLB. When he is in the game, he makes plays and stops the run at the line of scrimmage. We get gashed in the running game when he is out and our LBs are Scott and Barnett.

Speaking of Barnett, even though his play this year has fallen far off from previous years, it was at the time another good signing by Nix. I am more than confident we will be seriously addressing OLB this next offseason.

Stephon Gilmore has looked good as a rookie, and we havent seen enough out of Ron Brooks to make any judgement yet. A Williams has underperformed this year, but that happens. Nix hasnt needed to address the Safety spot much, but will be doing so this year. To that end, Searcy has been playing well in his limited roles.

I know you're going to want to throw around names like Troup and Wang. No one bats 1.000 in the draft. And the GM does a heck of a lot more than just draft.

Great post. Unfortunately, those who want to limit their analysis to "the Bills suck" will miss the point.

If it was possible, your post should be pinned just to answer the 'what has Nix done' crowd. While I have been on his case for not acquiring a QB early in his tenure, the achievements are not unremarkable. I would add a #2 WR to your list of must-haves.

Agreed. So Painfully Obvious. I list needs as WR (Size and Speed Threat) We Need that guy. #2 is QB. We need a QB that can accurately throw the long ball. #3 OLB. #4 CB. Yeah I said it...

IT would be a great trade. It would give us a QB that is better than anything we could draft in the 1st or 2nd round. It would free us up to draft LB in the 1st round, and another QB like Nassib in the 3rd or another LB if wanted.

Good post. I particularly like what he has found w/ the undrafted rookies and FA. Barnett was good for a year, and we'll replace him this year. Getting Glenn in the 2nd round was an amazing move. The Spiller pick was great. Troup was really the only TERRIBLE pick I can think of. And bringing in Moore who I think will turn out to be a long-term starter was also a good call.

Forget QB, focus on the defense since you brought it up. Dareus - sophomore slump or another enigmatic big body? Don't know. Gilmore - massive struggles on an island, but there's enough hope for improvement. Other than that, his defensive draftees will be lucky to be on NFL rosters, let alone meaningfully contribute.

what massive struggles are Gilmore having? And a hand full of average games for Dareus, after his brother dies... That is your argument? Next.

what massive struggles are Gilmore having? And a hand full of average games for Dareus, after his brother dies... That is your argument? Next.

Massive, as in a total inability to cover top flight receivers one on one. It also doesn't help his cause that the front 4 pass rush has been largely ineffective as has safety support from Wilson. Gilmore may get better, but he's far from a shut down corner and nowhere near as good as Claiborne has been playing for Cowboys.

If Dareus has had a handful of average games it would be an improvement over the horrific games that he's shown this year. He was far below average even before his brother passed away.

Thank you for your contribution, next is the proper term for you.

What's a fair pick to offer for Alex Smith? Only if we do not like the 1st round draft options. We send a 3rd, they send A. Smith and a 6th?

At this time, I would be worried that Alex Smith is damaged goods mentally. He has been jacked around a lot with regime changes and now gets essentially benched after a 13-3 record last year, playoff win and a 6-2-1 record this year. Note: I am fully on board with the 49ers making the switch but from the perspective of Smith as a Bills QB, I worry he may have lost his confidence too much to be effective. Also, even if we acquire him, we may still draft a QB which will put Smith in the same situation as with the 9ers which can only make matters worse.

Massive, as in a total inability to cover top flight receivers one on one. It also doesn't help his cause that the front 4 pass rush has been largely ineffective as has safety support from Wilson. Gilmore may get better, but he's far from a shut down corner and nowhere near as good as Claiborne has been playing for Cowboys.

How often do you see rookie shut down corners? Comparing Gilmore to Claiborne isn't really fair considering Claiborne plays on a better (arguably) team with a competent defensive coordinator. One can argue that having George Edwards and now Wanny has set the development of our defensive rookies back.

If Dareus has had a handful of average games it would be an improvement over the horrific games that he's shown this year. He was far below average even before his brother passed away.

Again, there's no way of knowing what Wanny is asking Dareus to do. Dareus has shown flashes of dominance and has been coached by some of the worst defensive coaches this league has seen.

Thank you for your contribution, next is the proper term for you.

what games are you watching? And are you sober while watching? What top flight wr's had their way with are dear rookie? The real problem with Gilmore, is the coaches won't let Gilmore follow them to the slot.