Kipers Hair

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to criticize Mario Williams in Buffalo. It shows that:

a) you don't know what you're talking about or

b) you don't understand how Mario opens things up for everyone else (aka the Lee Evans effect)

Strange that other elite players who are keyed on every week, like Demarcus Ware or Clay Matthews, still manage to make a few plays themselves. I guess they're not nearly as unselfish as Mario.

I like the guy and he's helped the run defense a lot but he does need to do more vs the pass. I'm sure he's working on it.

Edited by vincec

I can't believe that the transition from the (honestly weak) D-line last year and what we have this year is without Williams being added. Our numbers a little low from the fact that we laid an egg in Game 1, and in game 2 we got gouged in run yards since we played 1.5 quarters simply making sure the deep pass was gone. Up until then, there was no running game, and in Game 3 we shut down Trent Richardson.

Now, you can argue that Anderson or the return of Kyle Williams is doing more, but I still think we have a formidable D-line and Williams is getting better every game he's back.

Despite facing mediocre running backs, the Bills run D is mediocre. The Chiefs are the top running team now, but they weren't when we saw them. Hillis and their 3rd back racked up over 120 yards at over 5 yards per. Charles hardly played. That leaves Greene of the Jets and the rookie Richardson of the Browns as the guys Mario has helped contain. Meh...

Despite facing mediocre running backs, the Bills run D is mediocre. The Chiefs are the top running team now, but they weren't when we saw them. Hillis and their 3rd back racked up over 120 yards at over 5 yards per. Charles hardly played. That leaves Greene of the Jets and the rookie Richardson of the Browns as the guys Mario has helped contain. Meh...

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic. But just in case you are not, please go on record and let us know at what point will you admit that the Bills run D has improved and is impressive? I know it is not going to be this weekend because the pats* are supposedly not a good running team. Go on, stick your neck out.

The Jets rushed for 3.3 YPC. True the Chefs average 6.3 YPC, but Charles had 6 carries for 3 yards and the backups got tons of yards in garbage time since the game was over, essentially, at halftime. They didn't suddenly become a good running team after playing the Bills. The Browns average 2.5 YPC.

Edited by Doc

Come on. The Chiefs were running the ball on 3rd and 15. This is a ridiculous post.

Come on. The Chiefs were running the ball on 3rd and 15. This is a ridiculous post.

Yes, it is. Once a team has rendered the other team one-dimensional, like the Bills did to the Chiefs, it simply doesn't matter how many yards they rush for. If the opponent wants to run the clock out on themselves, so much the better. The Chiefs were not successful running the ball because it did nothing to hurt the Bills at any time of the game.

GO BILLS!!!

Lots of homers on this thread.

Most of the double-teams this season have been on Kyle and Dareus, yet they've both been way more productive than Mario. The reason why the defense has improved is because this is the first time those two are playing together while being healthy. The one hundred million dollar man has been the 4th best player on the D-line so far.

Having said that, that's only the synopsis after three games, and not an indication of what's to come. He is learning a new defense, coming off injury and he's got way too much talent for his play to continue to be this underwhelming (at least I hope). But saying his play so far has been anything but disappointing is just not being truthful.

MW's play in the opener against the Jest was disappointing. Almost poor at times. Same can be said for the entire defense, including MD and KW.

HIs play in the last two games has been anything but that.

I'm not sure what kind of player people thought we were getting in Mario Williams. Saw a comparison to Matthews and Ware upthread, but that's absurd. He's never been a speed rusher.

He's a unique blend of power and speed at 6' 6" at nearly 300 lbs. who runs a sub 4.7 forty. OTs have to respect both aspects of his game and they do. It's obvious from watching him since he's been in the league.

GO BILLS!!!

MW's play in the opener against the Jest was disappointing. Almost poor at times. Same can be said for the entire defense, including MD and KW.

I'm not sure what kind of player people thought we were getting in Mario Williams. Saw a comparison to Matthews and Ware upthread, but that's absurd. He's never been a speed rusher.

He's a unique blend of power and speed at 6' 6" at nearly 300 lbs. who runs a sub 4.7 forty. OTs have to respect both aspects of his game and they do. It's obvious from watching him since he's been in the league.

GO BILLS!!!

Plus he's always rushing from the qbs face not blindside. Just another subtle distinction

He's going to get sacks. Lots. But he's a different player than most compare him too, and as an every down guy, that's not a terrible thing. Just like kw and md he allows us with 4 men to effectively get pressure and stop the run. Those guys are rare and to have 3 that do both halves so well is very rare and creates a dynamic defensive scheme.

GO BILLS!!!

This is well put. add kelsay and and up and coming Andersen to the much impoved list please.

Sheppard said in this weeks interview in regard to the front four and staying clean. He said he only gut touched by a lineman twice last week, "its just crazy now".

Blame week one on jitters and finding out what the guy next to you is all about.

These guys are going to tear it up. all of them. dont care about sacks. But do care for stopping the run and disrupting the spot.

These guys are playing very disciplined football right now. Mario is a great addition to damned fine line.

Go Bills!

Edited by 3rdand12