Why is no one giving any love to Chan for the kneeldown?

D521646

I have seen ina few threads where people have mentioned it, and I went over to the Browns site and not a peep, so I ask? Why not? I thought it was a classy move by Chan and the Bills to do that when they could have easily moved in to give Choice or White a TD for their efforts?

If anything, I think this is why Chan is respected in this league, NOT because of his track record in W's, but because he's a class guy. How many coaches would've taken the knee on the one yard line with just under two minutes to play?

Kudo's to Chan, although as a fan I was hoping that they ran it in.. Just me I guess. :)

Thoughts?

Tim-

Yeah, it was classy. But if we end up losing the points differential tie-breaker and lose out on the playoffs, I'm gonna be pissed.

I wonder if Greg Schiano would have blitzed our kneel-down in that same situation.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, it was classy. But if we end up losing the points differential tie-breaker and lose out on the playoffs, I'm gonna be pissed.

I wonder if Greg Schiano would have blitzed our kneel-down in that same situation.

GO BILLS!!!

Shiano ran up scores against Div 2 or whatever they call it for years. He wouldn't think twice if they were up by 35 points running it in. Classless clown is Shiano, Mr Tought guy. If I were the Bills and on their 20 with 5 secs left i'd pass the ball into the flat for a TD aginst thsoe scum,bags.

GO BILLS!!!

Schiano has taken a lot of crap, but the fact is his team was down by one score or less both times they pulled that stunt. For the same reason nobody throws a pity-party when a team runs a fake-spike, there was nothing unsportsman like about trying to squirt one free when you have a legitimate shot of winning with the ball in your hands.

If we are in the same situation next week, I say we go for the touchdown and then go for two. Rub it into those Patriots*. God knows they have done it to us.

Schiano has taken a lot of crap

Schiano is a piece of crap. No class trying to hurt the quarterback... and yes, that is his goal.

Schiano has taken a lot of crap, but the fact is his team was down by one score or less both times they pulled that stunt. For the same reason nobody throws a pity-party when a team runs a fake-spike, there was nothing unsportsman like about trying to squirt one free when you have a legitimate shot of winning with the ball in your hands.

Oh, Schiano is trying to squirt one free all right.

There are rules and then there is the spirit of the rule. Schiano is accomplishing nothing more than painting a giant bulls-eye on the entire team.

GO BILLS!!!

If we are in the same situation next week, I say we go for the touchdown and then go for two. Rub it into those Patriots*. God knows they have done it to us.

Schiano is a piece of crap. No class trying to hurt the quarterback... and yes, that is his goal.

You watch what you say when you talk about a Bucknellian, bro.

:pirate:

fake spike is a totally different situation.

Against the Giants there was :01 left. Even if they forced a fumble, they would have needed to run it back for a TD. Odds of that happening are nil.

i think many take that knee.

you dont give the ball back in that situation.

That is it precisely. The browns could not stop the clock. If you score you give them the possibility to score/onside-kick quickly multiple times and win the game. Taking a knee ends the game for sure. He was not being a nice guy, he was being a smart coach.

And before you say I'm being unrealistic, look at a couple of the wild finishes yesterday.

Uh.. I'm sure they are going for a turnover.. What does hurting the QB accomplish with 5 seconds left in the game?

There was :02 seconds, and stranger things HAVE happened. :nana:

i think that might qualify, statistically speaking, as the strangest thing to have happened.

the odds of an actual fumble being about nearly nil, the odds of getting to the fumble to recover likewise slim, and the odds of getting a clean run out of a scrum like that possibly the lowest of all those.

Classy move by Chan and the coaching staff. I'll bet Belichick and company would have run it down any team's throat there...

Actually, in 2007 as bad as the 56-10 game was, the Pats let up. The 8th TD was a defensive score and when the Pats got the ball back with 11 min left they put out Cassel and the second stringers. When it became apparent that the Bills D was too demoralized to stop Heath Evans they started running (who?) Kyle Eckel to run out the clock.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200711180buf.htm

Chan gets no love for the following reasons

1. We all got screwed on the over of 44 as we held our breath while Bryan Scott runs to the 1yrd line

2. We all hoped Fitzpatrick sneaks it up the middle for a TD to help his stats that we all had to hear about last year

3. We rarely are in a position to blow another team out on the road.

Classy move by Chan and the coaching staff. I'll bet Belichick and company would have run it down any team's throat there...

Actually, in 2007 as bad as the 56-10 game was, the Pats let up. The 8th TD was a defensive score and when the Pats got the ball back with 11 min left they put out Cassel and the second stringers. When it became apparent that the Bills D was too demoralized to stop Heath Evans they started running (who?) Kyle Eckel to run out the clock.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200711180buf.htm

I was with you, until someone made the point that he didn't on-side kick the ball back to the Giants. If you're not going to do that, are you really trying to win the game or are you just acting like an a hole?

December 3, 1995 @ San Francisco. Darick Holmes fumbles on the 4 yard line. Lee Woodall picks up and runs 96 yards for a TD. Bills lose game 27-17 on that 14 point swing. THAT is why you kneel on the ball there. It wasn't in the last 2 minutes of the game, but it illustrates the point.

It's not the same thing as a fake spike.

It's pretty obvious that Schiano is a jerk (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--buccaneers-coach-greg-schiano-regarded-as-bully-around-nfl-well-before-kneel-down-incident-20120921.html). It's also obvious that some people here find that kind of behavior appealing. It's unnecessary, and there have been plenty of great coaches that have been successful without being jerks, so why someone admires acting like that, or feels it embodies some kind of "fighting spirit" is beyond me.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Also, NFL coaches aren't dumb. They'll come up with an answer to this issue, if only for TB games. My solution is to line up in a kicking formation. It's against the rules to line up directly over the center and blow him up. Snap the ball to the holder, turtle, repeat. Sure it's riskier than standard victory formation but it counters Schiano's crap.

Actually, if we're in the same situation against NE this weekend, I say snap the ball to CMac and have him run over to the Pats' sideline and crash into Brady. Then, spike the ball into Belicheat's face. We could handle the 15 yd penalty at that point.

i think many take that knee.

you dont give the ball back in that situation.

Agree it was the right move and many if not most coaches would have done the same thing, but I can think of at least two coaches who would have run a play there - Belichick and Ryan.

Simply, it's called class... what we see so many in today's NFL lack. The game was over Buffalo won, scoring again would have been unnecessary and disrespectful, no different than kicking your opponent when they're down. Just shows the type of character we have in our team and we don't fall into the same category as Ryan, Belichek, Schiano, etc

Actually, if we're in the same situation against NE this weekend, I say snap the ball to CMac and have him run over to the Pats' sideline and crash into Brady. Then, spike the ball into Belicheat's face. We could handle the 15 yd penalty at that point.

The funniest thing I read all day :thumbsup: