Physics!

Between the refs and announcers (I have another rant saved for Steve Beuerlein, but that's for a different day) how freaking thick must you be to think that was a fumble?

It's grade school science, so I'll explain very simply just in case there are any referees who read this board. The ball was in Fitz' hand, which is connected to his arm. The arm went forward. The ball proceeded to go forward. THEREFORE, Fitz' arm propelled the ball forward. Therefore, a forward pass. This could not be simpler and they got it wrong. People make mistakes, but to reverse that call after a good 3 minutes of looking at it takes sheer ignorance and stupidity.

"His hand was empty". What? Unless the NFL rule book states "The quarterback's hand must be filled with football at the apex of his delivery" (hint: it doesn't) the explanation was irrelevant.

And all the while, tweedle dum in the announcer booth was patting himself on the back for being right. Congrats, dude. You're on the same wavelength of intellectual ignominy as the refs.

/rant

But good win! :)

I'm more concerned with the refs claiming you can't review a play thats been ruled down by contact (the Cribbs fumble) when in fact you CAN review that call. Bad calls happen. But not knowing the very rules of the game is simply inexcusable.

I'm more concerned with the refs claiming you can't review a play thats been ruled down by contact (the Cribbs fumble) when in fact you CAN review that call. Bad calls happen. But not knowing the very rules of the game is simply inexcusable.

In this particular case, it served to save us a timeout. But yes, that was puzzling as well.

I think these refs are not up to speed on the game. They are in over their heads now and it is starting to show. Before we would get new refs once in a while but they'd be mixed with veteran ref's. Did it cost us the game? No, but it damn well could have.

In the case of the cribs fumble, the whistle was blown before a clear recovery, which is why it was not reviewable.

Between the refs and announcers (I have another rant saved for Steve Beuerlein, but that's for a different day) how freaking thick must you be to think that was a fumble?

And all the while, tweedle dum in the announcer booth was patting himself on the back for being right. Congrats, dude. You're on the same wavelength of intellectual ignominy as the refs.

/rant

But good win! :)

Beuerlein was a complete homer for Cleveland today and very annoying. I'm surprized he wasn't wearing a Browns jersey. I could listen to him anymore and switched to WGR550 for the sound.

I thought the refs were okay in the Jets game but just terrible today. There were two bad calls on turnovers (the fumble and the non-INT) that really, really hurt us. I remember thinking there was one bogus call against the Brownies as well but now I can't recall it.

My wife, who doesn't know football, was wondering if the refs were Brown fans.

Fortunately we won. If not, I would have been raging about the refs all day!

In the case of the cribs fumble, the whistle was blown before a clear recovery, which is why it was not reviewable.

that is NOT true.....

under the newer NFL rules you are allowed the continuation of play to determine if it was a fumble or not. The ball cant be advanced but it can still be rules as a fumble.

This happened in the KC-NO game. the KC RB McCluster (I think) after making a catch on an out route landed awkwardly on his are in pain and just dropped the ball. The official had blown the whistle. But reveiw showed it was a fumble.

In SF-Min game Harbough got a challenge when he had no time outs left.

Calls are very inconsistant.

I began crafting a Steve Beurline thread--but it would take about 2000 words to sum up everything he did wrong.

My favorite was when the Browns had the ball on our 40 with 3 minutes left and he said they should run play action - and they did and the D-line met at Weeden. Even as he was saying it I was thinking "Play action when you're down by two scores with almost no time left, and you haven't been able to run the ball all day?" Fortunately the Browns coaches are as bad at their jobs as he is at his. Though I guess you could say at least he was in tune with their thought process.

It's grade school science, so I'll explain very simply just in case there are any referees who read this board. The ball was in Fitz' hand, which is connected to his arm. The arm went forward. The ball proceeded to go forward. THEREFORE, Fitz' arm propelled the ball forward. Therefore, a forward pass. This could not be simpler and they got it wrong.

Back to the topic. That call sent the NFL back 500 years.

Ask Isaac Newton.

that is NOT true.....

under the newer NFL rules you are allowed the continuation of play to determine if it was a fumble or not. The ball cant be advanced but it can still be rules as a fumble.

This happened in the KC-NO game. the KC RB McCluster (I think) after making a catch on an out route landed awkwardly on his are in pain and just dropped the ball. The official had blown the whistle. But reveiw showed it was a fumble.

In SF-Min game Harbough got a challenge when he had no time outs left.

Calls are very inconsistant.

That's what I think happened. The NFL changed the rule a couple years ago that allowed fumbles like that to be reviewed after the whistle. I think the refs just forgot that rule. Still, I think it wasn't a fumble after watching all of the angles.

They need to get the regualar refs back in here. I cant even be mad at the replacements, but they are struggling. The longer this goes, the more likely a team loses a big game on an official not knowing the rules

just because it hasnt happened on a specific last second play yet, doesnt mean this hasnt already happened. so far from what ive seen this week is even worse than last across the board. we will see though

That "empty hand" call was nonsense. That was totally a case of super slo mo screwing with the refs mind. sometimes you see it live and it's obvious (like the ball going forward due to the motion of Fitz's arm). Then the refs watch the slo mo and overthink it. I am shocked they REVERSED the call on the field. you have to be 100% certain that the ball was not propelled forward by his arm to reverse that call.

One other thing that I'm noticing about the replacement refs is that they seem to absolutely suck at figuring out where to place the ball after a play is over. They seem to have a margin of error of +/- 1 yard, at least.

I've always been impressed with the regular refs at their ability to spot the ball at the right place, but with these replacements, it almost seems random.