Jerry Jones: NFL should outlaw kneel-downs

A QB should be able to report in with the ref, and the time should just come off automatically.

It's like forcing a pitcher to throw all four balls in a n intentional walk. When I played high school ball, the coach could just come out, and the ump would send the batter to first.

Surely we could devise a football equivalent...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next time TB tries the kneel-down move, I hope whoever they're playing hammers the holy hell out of their front five. But if the opposing team knows that TB is going to have to do 2 or 3 kneel-downs, I sure hope they play docile at first, then pound away on the last one. It would be so sweet.

Also, lose vs. loose, their vs. there vs. they're, then vs. than, affect vs. effect, to vs. too, and your vs. you're. Do they teach English in government schools anymore? lol

As to the first point, totally agree. What next - are teams going to blast kickers on kickoffs even if they're nowhere near the ball? After all, it's legal, right?

As to the second point...lol.

I'm of the philosophy that a QB is just another player on the field. So, in that sense, anybody who receives the snap should have to be touched down.

It has nothing to do with the position. Once a player gives themselves up, the play is over. It happens when defensive players intercept a ball late and don't want to fumble it. They do not need to be touched.

How could that even be remotely possible to ban kneel downs? What would stop a QB from going into a shotgun taking as snap falling to the ground and securing the ball. Overall a QB is allowed to slide and give himself up, as well as a defender is allowed to give himself up after getting a game ending INT would you want to ban that? What is the other option? How can you police this?

Makes no sense.

How could that even be remotely possible to ban kneel downs? What would stop a QB from going into a shotgun taking as snap falling to the ground and securing the ball. Overall a QB is allowed to slide and give himself up, as well as a defender is allowed to give himself up after getting a game ending INT would you want to ban that? What is the other option? How can you police this?

Makes no sense.

Exactly. Jerruh is an idiot. So ban the victory formation and QB kneel downs. What will teams do? Exactly what you said. The QB will take the snap, take 2 steps back and fall to the turf and wait for an opposing player to touch him. Game over either way.

Just chiming in here to say thanks to the last 3 posters for saying what I was thinking. I don't see any possible way to outlaw the kneeldown without a lot of adverse consequences (no giving yourself up?).

The kneel-down cost me a victory in fantasy football one year. No lie, I was ahead by a point when my QB did three kneel-downs at the end of the game and lost 5 or 6 yards rushing, and the resulting point.

Anyway...shut up Jerry.

http://espn.go.com/b...law-kneel-downs

Not adverse to this... you play 60 mins.

And that is one of many reasons why Jones is THE WORST GM in the NFL. He has no sense about him at all. Sure, eliminate the kneel down, get your QB killed.

Makes no sense.

You can't eliminate the kneel down, but you could eliminate the fact that the play is over. This isn't college, in the NFL you have to be touched, sometimes rather roughly, to be down in the NFL unless you 'give yourself up'. It didn't used to be that way. Guys would get speared, piled on etc. until the league stopped it.

http://espn.go.com/b...law-kneel-downs

Not adverse to this... you play 60 mins.

The kneel down should be eliminated or take your chances getting hit.

Football coaches are very defensive people...they play not to make mistakes

Play for 60 minutes or GTFO. Especially since the score is less than 8 points. Fumbles do occur and have..

The Giants lost because of Joe Pisarcik fumble on last play of the game...I believe in 1977.

It is a good idea in theory as I like the idea of making every snap competitive.

However like many others in the thread have posted it would be impossible to enforce because there are so many other ways for a team to do basically the exact same thing.

Shiano is a classiless punk and always has been throughout his college career. Running up scores was typical of this coach who had mediocre teams but played Howard Universiy and other posuhovers to get wins up each year and then ran up scores even when game was well in hand. I hope he gets his QB hurt the same wqay he might injure opposong ones. Shiano is a jerk.

I've always been in favor of adopting what they have in arena leagues. On a run play, you must gain yardage or the clock stops ... Doesn't create a rule that is difficult to police or find loopholes in & makes more plays more meaningful. Just my thought.

What a lot of people recognize, is that as a game that is supposed to be entertaining, there is a lot of crap time. While a knee-down is a successful strategy, it none-the-less crappy entertainment.

It takes 27 minutes to watch a condensed game. What does that tell you?

PTR

Didn't read the article but I agree there should be no kneel downs. Run a play. Also, how many times have you seen a QB snap the ball and wait a few seconds before kneeling to run more clock? I'd want to hit him too.

I'd much rather watch a 3rd string QB hand off the ball to a 3rd string RB in those dying seconds of an out of reach game. That's the "thrilling action" that would take the place of a banned kneel down.

The game in question was Giants-Tampa and it was a 7 point game. In that case you give the D a chance to cause a fumble.