Pre-game 'flyovers' question

Billsfreak17

I'm sure everybody has seen the Air Force do pre-game 'flyovers' prior to the Super Bowl. But they also do it for other games besides the Super Bowl....thus leading me to turn to the wise readers of these forums to answer;

Has there ever been one at the Ralph? When? Was it announced anywhere in advance? What kind of planes flew by?

I'm sure everybody has seen the Air Force do pre-game 'flyovers' prior to the Super Bowl. But they also do it for other games besides the Super Bowl....thus leading me to turn to the wise readers of these forums to answer;

Has there ever been one at the Ralph? When? Was it announced anywhere in advance? What kind of planes flew by?

I think there was a game last year or 2 years ago where there was no fly over.

I've seen quite a few fly overs. F117 was one I will never forget. The helicopter group flyovers are loud as can be, intimidating, too. The jets just soar past but the helicopters linger just a few moments more rattling the entire place.

I recall a bunch of F 16s when the Bills played the Raiders in the playoffs. There was a random fly over about 6 or 7 years ago when the Bills played the dolphins. They had 2 A -10s fly over. It was a December game with no significance so I don't know why they did that. 4 helicopters flew over the first outdoor NHL game at the Ralph.

C-130's, F-16, some AF trainer jets last year, Sheriff Copter a few years back..... always cool and always impressive how they can time the flyover so perfectly.

Sheriff copter flyovers are pretty common in the area where I live this time of year.. Who would ever think they have time too fly over NFL stadiums too!

..... always cool and always impressive how they can time the flyover so perfectly.

I believe they do a holding pattern somewhere within sight of the stadium and use the fireworks they shoot off during the Nation Anthem ("rockets red glare") as their signal to start heading in.

This is just my theory, not sure how true it is.

I went to a game a couple years back, when the Bills played the Dolphins. I know for a fact that it wasn't a season or even home opener because it was very cold and snowing. Anyways, before the game their was a fly over and the only reason I remember the fly over is because it was a very large plane and when it dipped into the stadium, I swear to you it was eye level to me (I was in the upper deck). I don't know why their was a fly over, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't aware that their was suppose to be one before the game.

If I'm recalling correctly, most of the home games have flyovers. The home opener for sure, but I seem to remember most if not all the others last year had one too. Could be remembering wrong though due to pregame beverage consumption. ;)

Edited by biglukes

I believe they do a holding pattern somewhere within sight of the stadium and use the fireworks they shoot off during the Nation Anthem ("rockets red glare") as their signal to start heading in.

This is just my theory, not sure how true it is.

I think your theory is about right, they definitely hold out over the lake and punch it when it's time to go. Only thing we dont know exactly is how they get the signal to time it out.

If I'm recalling correctly, most of the home games have flyovers. The home opener for sure, but I seem to remember most if not all the others last year had one too. Could be remembering wrong though due to pregame beverage consumption. ;)

I think you're remembering the traffic copter. ^_^ There's only one or two flyovers each year. The playoffs usually have them too but that's ancient history around here.

Many flyovers in past years, always a highlight. Sometimes fighters in formation....incredible noise. Sometimes cargo planees from the Falls air base....when its those guys, they sometimes come in for the second half after they land...they are then introduced to the crowd. I always liked them.....EXACTLY at the end of the national anthem....within a second or two. definitely a military timing exercise. I always thought I was glad I wasn't on the business end of a visit from those fighters!!!

Can we not embed videos anymore?

Anyway, here's a nice angle on a flyover from 2010 home opener featuring me and my buddies in the stands.

I believe they do flyovers at all homeopeners, even if its not the first week of the season. I think they do them around the holidays too.

And yes, this is the same video featured in Deadspin's lampooning of the Bills.

I think your theory is about right, they definitely hold out over the lake and punch it when it's time to go. Only thing we dont know exactly is how they get the signal to time it out.

If you're going to be at the home opener, keep your eyes on the top of the wall of fame by the scoreboard. I think there is somebody up there who radios to the planes the status and when to gun it.

If you're going to be at the home opener, keep your eyes on the top of the wall of fame by the scoreboard. I think there is somebody up there who radios to the planes the status and when to gun it.

You're close. That guy actually remote controls the plane. Here's a picture of him doing it:

534591.jpg

I wish they wouldn't do it. Cool as it looks, it's really expensive.

Actually, that's not an issue. I read recently (and a buddy of mine in the air force confirms) that flyovers at sporting events are always tied into training exercises/flight hours that the pilots need anyway. As someone alluded to above, often it's a matter of practicing their timing, hit a target at a precise time and all that.

Actually, that's not an issue. I read recently (and a buddy of mine in the air force confirms) that flyovers at sporting events are always tied into training exercises/flight hours that the pilots need anyway. As someone alluded to above, often it's a matter of practicing their timing, hit a target at a precise time and all that.

Which is amazing that with all the blunders that happen in the world, when are they accidentally going to drop the "fake" bomb.

In answer to some of the posters, they will typically fly in a standard 360 degree holding pattern at a designated area several miles away from the stadium. All of this is coordinated through the ATC at Buffalo Airport via their pre-filed flight plan. A flight officer liaison from their squadron would be at the stadium and would be in contact with the pilots via ATC to coordinate their arrival time over the stadium.

The pilots are required to keep up their flying hours and this is also positive publicity for the military for recruitment and PR purposes. Some may say that it is a waste of money for the military to participate at flyovers, air shows and professional flight team (Blue Angels, Thunderbirds, etc.) demonstrations. I could not disagree more. Then again, I am a little biased being ex-Navy and having flown T-34C, T-2B and T/A-4 aircraft.

In response to the poster that mentioned "blunders" and "fake bombs". Not sure what he/she was referring to, but I can assure you that our millitary pilots are some of the very best in the world. If they were to experience an in-flight emergency, they would divert their aircraft away from the stadium and look for a place to set down away from population. Again, this would be covered in their flight plan.

In answer to some of the posters, they will typically fly in a standard 360 degree holding pattern at a designated area several miles away from the stadium. All of this is coordinated through the ATC at Buffalo Airport via their pre-filed flight plan. A flight officer liaison from their squadron would be at the stadium and would be in contact with the pilots via ATC to coordinate their arrival time over the stadium.

The pilots are required to keep up their flying hours and this is also positive publicity for the military for recruitment and PR purposes. Some may say that it is a waste of money for the military to participate at flyovers, air shows and professional flight team (Blue Angels, Thunderbirds, etc.) demonstrations. I could not disagree more. Then again, I am a little biased being ex-Navy and having flown T-34C, T-2B and T/A-4 aircraft.

In response to the poster that mentioned "blunders" and "fake bombs". Not sure what he/she was referring to, but I can assure you that our millitary pilots are some of the very best in the world. If they were to experience an in-flight emergency, they would divert their aircraft away from the stadium and look for a place to set down away from population. Again, this would be covered in their flight plan.

Thank you for your service to this great country and for informing us of the procedures.

As a season tic holder I can say that I usually see 2 a year. Always opening day and another or later.

For me it is always great to see the Helicopter fly overs right before the Marine Corp Marathon on the last Sunday of Every October.....That brings the best out of the 40K+ runners and the 100K+ spectators on board to witness it.